Yusuf Islam

worldwideboss

Cat Stevens music was a symbol of the times. His music is in embedded in the same part of that 70's genre as Jim Croce.

His converting to Islam? I have no idea what that was all about, he just suddenly dissapeared, I remember thinking WTF....but to each his own.

Edited by shades

didn't watch the interview I take it..

yes, I did, and I edited my post afterwards.

At the time he converted there was so many artists out there in the main stream 'message music' genre that I basically just blew past his exit. I had heard something about his converting and didnt give it too much more thought. I kept his music handy and still love his stuff.

and like I said, to each his own. he certainly seems at peace with himself.

didn't watch the interview I take it..

yes, I did, and I edited my post afterwards.

At the time he converted there was so many artists out there in the main stream 'message music' genre that I basically just blew past his exit. I had heard something about his converting and didnt give it too much more thought. I kept his music handy and still love his stuff.

and like I said, to each his own. he certainly seems at peace with himself.

sorry...the edit came after my post

Totally agree with your views on it...I pretty much had the same reaction.

There was a very good interview with Yusuf Islam on CBC t.v. last night on the show The Hour.

you can view it here..

The Hour

Yusuf discusses his views on the religion he embraced back in the 70's,it clearly explains where he's coming from.

Yes, that is indeed a great interview. It shows that he, like Jimi Hendrix with the Black Panthers, has been unwillingly thrust into a position as a spokesman for Wahabbi Islam, something he clearly dislikes. What Islam needs is more people like him, who truly understand the essence of the Quran, and promote a message of peace. He did not support the fatwah against Salman Rushdie. He was asked what the sentence was in Islam for blasphemy, and he said it was execution. Did that mean he considered Rushdie's fiction blasphemy? No.

I don't like his beard though. :no:

Here's one of the songs from his new album, "Maybe There's a World", I hope people look at this. It's really strong music, kinda recalls his later-day 70's work. Cat/Yusuf's message on this album is beautiful, and makes it clear that he is a peaceful man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF1tSNTGaq8

Commercial music video for "Heaven/Where True Love Goes" also off the new album, not one of my favorites, but good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9zKyDz4ko

Edited by adnan

There was a very good interview with Yusuf Islam on CBC t.v. last night on the show The Hour.

you can view it here..

The Hour

Yusuf discusses his views on the religion he embraced back in the 70's,it clearly explains where he's coming from.

Yes, that is indeed a great interview. It shows that he, like Jimi Hendrix with the Black Panthers, has been unwillingly thrust into a position as a spokesman for Wahabbi Islam, something he clearly dislikes. What Islam needs is more people like him, who truly understand the essence of the Quran, and promote a message of peace. He did not support the fatwah against Salman Rushdie. He was asked what the sentence was in Islam for blasphemy, and he said it was execution. Did that mean he considered Rushdie's fiction blasphemy? No.

well stated..