Yusuf Islam

worldwideboss

I love Yusuf Islam.

My favorite song by Yusuf is "Peace Train". "Tea for the Tillerman" is clearly his best album overall. Does anybody own any of the work released under the name of Yusuf Islam?

takeshi is gonna have a fiel day if he comes in here :D

Didn't he convert to Islam?

Which is why it's disrespectful to call him Cat Stevens. Same as calling Ali Clay.

Sorry. I didn't remember that while making the topic. I'll try to edit it out.

EDIT: Fixed.

About his work, my favourite song is Father And Son, but I really like Peace Train and Moonshadow as well.

Edited by worldwideboss

What was the whole thing about him a couple years ago when they said he was now a terrorist?

I'm not saying he is, but what was the gist of the allegations?

The British media convoluted his words and made it sound like he supported the execution of Salman Al-Rushdie, the author of "The Satanic Verses". He says that he never said it.

But there was also something that happened in like 2003 or 2002 or something where they said he was a possible terrorist or a terrorist sympathizer or something.

When you convert to Islam, you almost have to sympathize with that whole Jihad-shit.

But there was also something that happened in like 2003 or 2002 or something where they said he was a possible terrorist or a terrorist sympathizer or something.

When you convert to Islam, you almost have to sympathize with that whole Jihad-shit.

Not all moslims are radicals. It's just a steriothype (sp?) in the Western Countries.

Not all moslims are radicals. It's just a steriothype (sp?) in the Western Countries.

Agreed.

Lithium, please do not become ignorant.

From Wikipedia:

Denial of entry into the United States

On 21 September 2004 Yusuf Islam was traveling on United Airlines Flight 919 from London to Washington. While the plane was in flight, the Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System flagged his name as being on a no-fly list. Customs agents alerted the Transportation Security Administration, which then diverted his flight to Bangor, Maine, where he was detained by the FBI.

The following day Islam was deported back to the United Kingdom. The United States Transportation Security Administration claimed there were "concerns of ties he may have to potential terrorist-related activities." The United States Department of Homeland Security specifically alleged that Islam had provided funding to the Palestinian Islamic militant group Hamas, although it did not offer any proof of its allegation.

Islam's deportation provoked a small international controversy and led British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw to complain personally to Secretary of State Colin Powell at the United Nations. Powell responded by stating that the watch list was under review, and added, "I think we have that obligation to review these matters to see if we are right."

His identification as being on the watch list may be in error. On 1 October 2004 Islam was reported to have requested the removal of his name and stated, "I remain bewildered by the decision of the US authorities to refuse me entry to the United States." According to an official statement by Islam, the man on the list was named Yousef Islam, indicating that Yusuf Islam himself was in fact, not the suspected terror supporter.

Libel case

As a footnote to the actions taken by the U.S. government in deporting Yusuf Islam as a terrorist, The Sun and The Sunday Times British newspapers had published reports in October 2004 which stated that the U.S. was correct in its action. As a result Yusuf Islam sued for libel, and received a substantial out-of-court, "agreed settlement" and apology from the newspapers. Both newspapers acknowledged that Islam has never supported terrorism and that, to the contrary, he had recently been given a Man of Peace award. Islam responded that he was:

...delighted by the settlement [which] helps vindicate my character and good name. ... It seems to be the easiest thing in the world these days to make scurrilous accusations against Muslims, and in my case it directly impacts on my relief work and damages my reputation as an artist. The harm done is often difficult to repair.

He added that he intended to donate the financial award given to him by the court to help orphans of the recent Indian Ocean Tsunami. Yusuf Islam wrote about the experience in a newspaper article titled "A Cat in a Wild World".

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Agreed.

Lithium, please do not become ignorant.

You know, I really thought he was cool when he joined, but now he just makes fun of markyboy and acts tough, it's pathetic.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

• 5 months later...

I'm going through a major Cat/Yusuf phase now.

Fuck, I'm obsessed with the two major albums, Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat, as well as his new album An Other Cup. What a freaking brilliant songwriter, singer, and even a great guitarist. He's got a really great and unique guitar playing style.