what amp should i get

i've been thinking about getting as new amp for a while now as i have got a 10w amp and want something else.

i dont know weather to get a Marshall Mg15dfx or the MG30DFX. i have lessons and my instructor uses the 30w one. but i have been looking around and some Vox amps look reasonable. but i am unsure of what to get. Marshall or Vox. what would you recomend. and why.

thanks for your help.

This goes against everything i believe in

But if you're not going to get a tube Marshall or Vox don't get one. I get a pretty decent tone out of my MG100 like but it's still nothing compared to AVT or JCM standards

If you're on a budget and arn't in a big band, don't waste money on solid state amps. Get a simluator amp. One that has a wide range of different amps like a POD XT or something

A perfect amp for a home player is the Epiphone Valve Jr. Head. It's 5w, $100 and all tube. Pretty straight forward and has a great price. But, you'll need to buy a cab. A 1x12 wouldbe cool. But if you don't wanna buy both, you can get the Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo. It's the same deal. Not sure about the price, but it can't be too bad.

Get the Vox AD30VT. They are aroud the same price of the 30w Marshall and they sound a million times better. They use a tube in the power amp section to get a somewhat tube-like tone. When I went to buy my new amp, I tried all those Marshalls and Line 6s but the Vox came out the winner because the tone was very warm and tube-like.

It depends on what you intend to use it for.

I saw somebody comment that you should stay away from overpriced Marshalls - you can actually get a good used tube one pretty cheap. I have a JCM 900 50w head and 1960A 4 x 12 cabinet. I get a fantastic AC/DC tone out of it and with a slight up-front push (MT-2 set up as a signal boost) I can get a Randy Rhoads-ish sound. I can completely drown out my drummer by cranking it up about 75%.

But if you're planning on playing in your bedroom, this amp would be the worst thing you could get. You'd be better off with a good modelling amp which will allow you to get the sounds you want without the big rig.

I've tinkered with a few of the Vox Valvetronix amps and man they had some cool tones, as well as almost every effect you could ever want. The PODs are highly recommended by alot of people I know although I've only played with one once and didn't think too much of it. I was thiiiis close to buying a Line 6 Spider II before I came across my JCM 900. I had a brief look at the Roland Cube 60 and though it was fan-fucking-tastic.

Now get your ass to a music store and demand to play all of the amps that have been mentioned in this thread.