Advice from computer nerds would be appreciated

nameless_girl

So, here's the deal: just got myself a new laptop and handed down the old computer, which was on its death-bed anyway and now I have to install everything all over again.

I have no virus protection, no firewall, no chat software, no p2p downloader, no graphic software, no CD/DVD burning software, no special audio or video players etc, just the default things like M$ Office, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and all the rest of those standard computer programs. Basically, I'm going to install loads of things now and I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on what programs are the best combination for someone who's damned sick and tired of always having problems with their computer.

I guess I was thinking Agnitum Outpost Firewall, AVG AntiVir, Spybot - Search & Destroy for security (do those three even work well together? Because I want them all in order to be extra safe, but I don't want them obstructing one another, so... :unsure:), either Mozilla Firefox of Opera 8.0 for web-surfing, Trillian Basic (3.1, I guess) for chatting, Gordian Knot for making only security copies of copyrighted CDs and DVDs of course (although that one's really slow, so I might prefer something else), eMule Plus for downloading, Photoshop something or other for basic graphics... and then there are a bunch of programs I use regularly for more serious stuff that I already have on CDs and will definitely be installing, so I won't ask you about those :P (you know, it's things like Rhinoceros, Penguin, AutoCAD, Catfish and another small legion of similar programs I use).

So, if you've got the time, got any tips to share with little ol' me? :)

Edited by nameless_girl

i'd recomend winamp, maybe itunes if you're into that sort of thing <_<

also for spyware protection and other handy stuff visit microsoft.com, they have many free useful tools and programs there which i find are usually the best

download.com have some other stuff but its not as good as the microsoft one

assuming you haven't a mac of course

i'd also stick with your internet browser for now but wait to see what the new IE version brings too

Edited by vicious

Norton

Spybot

Firefox

iTunes

Nero

:)

:scared::scared:

Stay as far away from those programs as you can. ESPECIALLY Norton.

Nameless_girl, the software you've picked is good. I'd probably recommend DVDShrink instead of Gordian Knot - and i'd switch to Windows Defender (aka MS Anti Spyware) over Spybot (Yes, I know everyone thinks Microsoft = Satan, but it's the best spyware scanner out).

AVG is the best free scanner around, and it's all you really need for virus scanning. Norton is far too clunky and resource heavy - it's totally unneccessary.

Stick with Opera over Firefox. I'm a hypocrite, because I use Firefox, but Opera is a much better browser. I only use Firefox because I got used to it and find it hard to switch...

As far as all the other programs you're installing - if you want to get the most out of your computer, ask yourself if you really need software like AutoCAD etc. Like, do you use it more than once a year. If the answer is no, then you're better off not installing it until you need it. You'd be surprised how long you go before you need to for most things.

All the rest you've picked, like Emule, Trillian, etc are all good choices.

Norton Antivirus is the worst form of protection possible. Its so shit, slow, bloated and has a half decent detection rate at that.

AntiVirus: Kaspersky or NOD32 (Kaspersky has the best virus database list, however I find NOD32 a little faster)

AntiSpyware: Ad-Aware and Spybot combined is decent, although the two antiviruses listed above do a good job of not letting it on your system. To be extra safe, the Microsoft Windows Defender program isn't too bad - but I'd miss that one out personally.

Firewall: Do you have a router of some kind? If so, it probably has NAT - which is a form of hardware firewall. If you have a router, then theres no need for a software firewall. It will just slow your PC. The NAT will do a million times better job than anything ZoneAlarm can offer.

CD-Burning: Microsoft has some okay burning apps natively built in - but Nero is a good step to take. Just be sure to remove the Nero Scout though since (for me, anyway) its annoying.

P2P: Limewire.

Internet Browser: Its up to you on the whole IE/Firefox front which you intend to install since I like both.

Thats my little list for you. Take it from me - I repair, upgrade and sort out PC's for a living. ;)

EDIT: And yes, I'd do what highvoltage said and get DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter for those DVD backups.

Edited by Max™

AV: NOD32 (NOT NORTON)

Antispyware: I don't use one, although I'd say Adaware is good. If you're careful you won't need it.

Browser: IE/Firefox/Opera (pretty much any)

Firewall: Windows Firefox (or use none if you have a router)

Media Player: Winamp or foobar2000 (fb2k isn't n00b friendly)

P2P: Cabos (same as Limewire but it looks better)

CD Burning: Nero

Edited by LCG

Hm,... I use

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

Antivirus: Avast 4.7 PRO

AntiSpyware: Ad-Aware and Spybot-Search&Destroy

Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall PRO

Media: Winamp, MediaPlayerClassic and VLC

P2P: DC++ and AresGalaxy

CD Burning: Nero

and had no major problems with them so far.

M.

Thanks everyone who's being helpful, I really appreciate it very much :)

Wait you have autocad? Why? What year is it?

I know someone who works in a geodeutical company and pays me and a couple of other easily-exploitable students to draw and organise measurements of certain land-points every once in a while. That's why AutoCAD 2002, which I realise isn't exactly up to date, but it gets the job done perfectly. Oh yes, then I also have to perform "adjustments" on the points, but I won't get into that boring old story here. Why?

I know someone who works in a geodeutical company and pays me and a couple of other easily-exploitable students to draw and organise measurements of certain land-points every once in a while. That's why AutoCAD 2002, which I realise isn't exactly up to date, but it gets the job done perfectly. Oh yes, then I also have to perform "adjustments" on the points, but I won't get into that boring old story here. Why?

I'm an engineering student that's why haha. I was just wondering what you used it for and stuff because of that.

I'm an engineering student that's why haha. I was just wondering what you used it for and stuff because of that.

Heh, engineering student? Let me guess - you've gotta know Matlab, Mathematica and the rest of that stuff like the back of your hand as well, don't you? :P

Heh, engineering student? Let me guess - you've gotta know Matlab, Mathematica and the rest of that stuff like the back of your hand as well, don't you? :P

And C++ <_<

Mathematica isn't really worth learning after all the math you have to take as an engineer anyways.

Norton Antivirus is the worst form of protection possible. Its so shit, slow, bloated and has a half decent detection rate at that.

AntiVirus: Kaspersky or NOD32 (Kaspersky has the best virus database list, however I find NOD32 a little faster)

AntiSpyware: Ad-Aware and Spybot combined is decent, although the two antiviruses listed above do a good job of not letting it on your system. To be extra safe, the Microsoft Windows Defender program isn't too bad - but I'd miss that one out personally.

Firewall: Do you have a router of some kind? If so, it probably has NAT - which is a form of hardware firewall. If you have a router, then theres no need for a software firewall. It will just slow your PC. The NAT will do a million times better job than anything ZoneAlarm can offer.

CD-Burning: Microsoft has some okay burning apps natively built in - but Nero is a good step to take. Just be sure to remove the Nero Scout though since (for me, anyway) its annoying.

P2P: Limewire.

Internet Browser: Its up to you on the whole IE/Firefox front which you intend to install since I like both.

Thats my little list for you. Take it from me - I repair, upgrade and sort out PC's for a living. ;)

EDIT: And yes, I'd do what highvoltage said and get DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter for those DVD backups.

norton antivirus is actually quite good i no !!!!

norton antivirus is actually quite good i no !!!!

Trust me, it's not. When i've done work experience in computer repair centres, we've actually uninstalled Norton from customer's computers when it was causing hassle - it's clunky, slow, invasive, and at the end of the day - it's not that great for virus protection either.