Are the guitar solos the downfall of the new material?

Kaneda

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the new band and the songs and I hate to admit this but Kanada is right. And yes I will always be partial to Axl over Slash. But----- It's like taking Jimmy Page out of Led Zeppelin. Those solos can't be played by anyone else. I still believe Axl to be the most brilliant songwriter and arranger in the group but Slash was the Guns and I am really starting to miss him. The only one close to sounding similar to Slash is Mr. Fortus IMHO. Slash and Jimmy are very similar in that they are both sloppy guitar players but can sound like no one else and be so creative live and in the studio. When you here them play you know it is them and nobody else-----style, emotion, creativity, and tone. Without mastering those your just another dime a dozen guitarist----

i dont agree with your post at all. the outro to there was a time is amazing. the solo at the end of the blues is really good, and i also like the solo in better after axl sings "all that i wanted..." i think the solos on all of the new songs are better then any solo on contraband. that is not a nock on slash or any of the old guys, i am just saying. stop comparing the new band with the old band. maybe if you compared the stuff GNR is putting out (even though they havent put anything out, they are only demos) with the rest of the shit music out today you would appreciate it a lot more.

what a load of shite the soloing on loving the alien blows the shit out of axls HIRED axemen you talk some pish if they can write a solo that comes close to what slash does then maybe ill gain some respect for them

Well the solos actually have me even more excited to hear the album. Replace guys like Slash and Izzy and I'm just glad the band didn't completely go to shit guitar wise, cuz it could have. Let's be thankful for that. We can bitch about a lot of things, especially Slash leaving. But this whole resurrected GN'R could have ended up a lot worse than it actually did. It would have been real easy for that to happen folks.

Robin and Bucket are damn fine writers. All the solos work, at least for me they do. TWAT and Better's solos are as good as old GN'R IMO, The Blues is right up there too.

Live is where I see the problem. People might disagree with me, thinking the live shows stack up. They are cool, don't get me wrong. I thought Robin was kicking ass. It's just that the more boots I see, the more it's sticking in my craw that Robin messes up the old solos. It's hard to get past. He's a bit goofy on stage as well. Cool? I don't really think so.

So yeah, I'm not thrilled with Robin when it comes to live performances. But I dig what he's written, and he's definitely valuable to the band for that reason. So the new solos don't bother me. In fact, the more of these they play, and just leave the old ones in the past, the better.

Edited by KBear

This is about the time Warchild would come in and post one of his trademark rambling poetry posts...

Shhh....don't make him come out of his cave and bore us with that crap.... :P

We wont see him again, that fucker was banned.

.......And I .......dont.... think.........

.......anybody........ misses ........him .........talking

.....out ....of........

....his.... ass.....

WARCHILD BACK TO KICK ASS

:rolleyes: What a fag

Yes the solos are weak...I noticed that the guitarwork in the new songs seem to blend into the song and don't really stand out while the old guns songs had a lot of razzle dazzle guitar work which stood out. Maybe Axl doesn't want the solos to detract from the song?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slash...Slash...Slash....no one can like Slash! :rofl-lol:

Well the solos actually have me even more excited to hear the album. Replace guys like Slash and Izzy and I'm just glad the band didn't completely go to shit guitar wise, cuz it could have. Let's be thankful for that.

Amen...thank you for saying it.

Robin and Bucket are damn fine writers. All the solos work, at least for me they do. TWAT and Better's solos are as good as old GN'R IMO, The Blues is right up there too.

Yes, they can sure write, and I can't wait to hear the songs which they've been hiding from us.

Live is where I see the problem. People might disagree with me, thinking the live shows stack up. They are cool, don't get me wrong. I thought Robin was kicking ass. It's just that the more boots I see, the more it's sticking in my craw that Robin messes up the old solos. It's hard to get past. He's a bit goofy on stage as well. Cool? I don't really think so.

I used to think so as well, and then I saw them in Europe, and now I think otherwise. That band is so well rehearsed its beginning to look clinical...its almost scary how well they play those songs, Mr. Brownstone with Robin on it is by far my most favorite version of the song....of course, someone said that its easy to perfect something which already exists, so I will wait for new material before I judge him further....but I also think that the impression we sometime get of him being sloppy is because of one of the following:

- he's been in gnr for fucking ever, and perhaps is bored playing other people's songs.

- maybe he can't wait to play his own work.

- watch him during better, and then watch him during sweet child....and then compare the body language between the two.

I think we're all judging him a bit too soon.

In fact, the more of these they play, and just leave the old ones in the past, the better.

Agreed....throw the old ones in every now and again for the sake of old school fans...but let's get the new gnr era going....its about fucking time.

Yes the solos are weak...I noticed that the guitarwork in the new songs seem to blend into the song and don't really stand out while the old guns songs had a lot of razzle dazzle guitar work which stood out. Maybe Axl doesn't want the solos to detract from the song?

Exactly!

New GN'R guitar work sucks in general.

My viewpoint is that there's too many ideas for solos in each song and the final result is a mess.

Result: after two weeks you're bored with those songs.

But they have good moments and TWAT outro could be an example.

Guess we'll have to wait till they drop the album and then see what is the final outcome.

I haven't heard one guitar solo so far off of the new material that even comes close to capturing the magic Slash brought to the band. I think the best new solo is the one on the outro of The Blues, when Axl is singing "I---e----I---e----I", the solo to accompany that is amazing. The second solo in Better is also good, and TWAT's outro is superb, yet, whenever I hear the solos to Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged...etc, they blow away all of this new material, easily.

I agree, compared to the old material, they dont match up (mostly because we have grown to love the old material, as that is what we base our love of GNR on, so our opinions are a bit biased).

But taken as a separate entity, and judged by themselves, the solos are great, better than a lot of snot out there, and thats how we should judge them, because comparing the new songs to the old songs is like comparing a Motley Crue song to a Van Halen song, two totally different bands.

Robin 2006, is 100000x better and more 'cool' than Robin 2002. In 2002 he was so bald it looked like he was 50 years old.

Shouldn't we be comparing New GN'R to Velvet Revolver instead :chef:

Or how about comparing VR to the old Guns N Roses.... no one does that, I guess it's because it's pointless, whereas the new GnR lineup are closer to the old GnR than some people like to admit so they have to constantly say it in case people start to prefer the new line up....

LP

Or how about comparing VR to the old Guns N Roses.... no one does that, I guess it's because it's pointless, whereas the new GnR lineup are closer to the old GnR than some people like to admit so they have to constantly say it in case people start to prefer the new line up....

LP

Are you serious? People compare Scott and Axl all the time, unless youre saying we should compare Slash Duff and Matt with... Slash Duff and Matt :rolleyes:

LP

Are you serious? People compare Scott and Axl all the time, unless youre saying we should compare Slash Duff and Matt with... Slash Duff and Matt :rolleyes:

Correction. Slash, Duff and Steven. ;)