the ZZ top thread

Otis B Driftwood

ZZ top rocks.

Billy Gibbons is one of the best guitarists ever, with his style.

I heard he plays with a peso.

behold the greatness!

ZZ top - La grange (live)

He is a great player who doesn't get enough credit because of all the commercial success he had during the 80's. The part about the peso is true-I read it in a Guitar World interview years back. He says it gives him a grittier, more biting tone. He discovered it because he couldn't find a pick when he needed it, hence the peso.

ZZ top rocks.

Billy Gibbons is one of the best guitarists ever, with his style.

I heard he plays with a peso.

behold the greatness!

ZZ top - La grange (live)

well, being from Texas, you know i loves me some ZZ. Jimi Hendrix has a quote about Gibbons and ZZ Top, i'll try to find it and post it. but, basically, he heard them or saw them live before they got signed and just raved about Billy and the boys. i think he even said that Billy was his new favorite guitarist.

....you didn't have to shake it like you did, but you did, yes you did..... AND I THANK YOU.....

/greatness.......

zigzagorange.jpg + topsinglewhite.jpg = ZZ Top

Edited by artfromtex

well, being from Texas, you know i loves me some ZZ. Jimi Hendrix has a quote about Gibbons and ZZ Top, i'll try to find it and post it. but, basically, he heard them or saw them live before they got signed and just raved about Billy and the boys. i think he even said that Billy was his new favorite guitarist.

....you didn't have to shake it like you did, but you did, yes you did..... AND I THANK YOU.....

/greatness.......

zigzagorange.jpg + topsinglewhite.jpg = ZZ Top

Is that where the name came from? Really?

The real origin, as told by Billy Gibbons and also recorded in his new book (Rock + Roll Gearhead), is derived from the name of blues master B.B. King. They wanted to call themselves Z.Z. King but sounded too similar to their blues legend hero. They figured that "King" was at the "top" so thus settled on ZZ Top.

:unsure:

Edited by LCG

The real origin, as told by Billy Gibbons and also recorded in his new book (Rock + Roll Gearhead), is derived from the name of blues master B.B. King. They wanted to call themselves Z.Z. King but sounded too similar to their blues legend hero. They figured that "King" was at the "top" so thus settled on ZZ Top.

i guess it depends on who he's talking to at the time. there's three possible stories, all attributed to Gibbons. i read the rolling paper thing in an old Circus magazine back in the day in an interview. so, maybe it's a combination of all three.

According to Gibbons, the name came from one or more of the following: the two brands of rolling-paper, Zig-Zag and Top, a tribute to blues legend Z.Z. Hill, and/or Gibbons seeing the two words running together on a dilapidated bill board. Hill and Beard had been members of a Dallas band called American Blues.
Billy was also the first to do pinch harmonics.While his sound weak in comparison to someone like dimebag or Zakk Wylde, he still did them first.

i prefer Billy's playing. got more soul. i like Zakk and Dime, but Gibbons style is more to my personal liking.

Edited by artfromtex

i guess it depends on who he's talking to at the time. there's three possible stories, all attributed to Gibbons. i read the rolling paper thing in an old Circus magazine back in the day in an interview. so, maybe it's a combination of all three.

According to Gibbons, the name came from one or more of the following: the two brands of rolling-paper, Zig-Zag and Top, a tribute to blues legend Z.Z. Hill, and/or Gibbons seeing the two words running together on a dilapidated bill board. Hill and Beard had been members of a Dallas band called American Blues.
Billy was also the first to do pinch harmonics.While his sound weak in comparison to someone like dimebag or Zakk Wylde, he still did them first.

i prefer Billy's playing. got more soul. i like Zakk and Dime, but Gibbons style is more to my personal liking.

I didn't mean they sounded weak, I meant less intense. It hink Billy uses really light guage strings so that could be a reason.

I didn't mean they sounded weak, I meant less intense. It hink Billy uses really light guage strings so that could be a reason.

gotcha! i think the amount of gain has alot to do with the difference in sound.