Long lasting bands

BarmyBritJo

Me and my son whose 13 were having a discussion about music and I put it to him that I don't think him and his mates will be going to see the bands their into now when their my age and that in my eyes their being ripped off! All these created by Xfactor/pop idol bands and singers just aren't up to it in the same way those of our era were and still are. My son followed Eminem, bought his CDs and dreamt of seeing him live (thats one I wouldn't of taken him to!) then bang he retires end of era!

Look at us lot, still loyal after all these years, willing to wait as long as it takes for the new album and still go to the concerts regardless, 20 years of following the same bands, still seeing them tour and make news to me that's what it's all about!

Over the years I've settled down, got kids and a responsible job but when I go to GnR I re-live my youth in a way, I can go back to the teenage rebel who was yelled at to turn that offensive music off, "does that young man have to swear all the time?" (my mum) and "Why do you always dress like your going to a funeral?" (my dad when I visited at week ends) My ultimate annoyance would be to insist that we listen to a GnR tape in the car on the journey up to his house, the look on my dad's face and the short amount of time before he insisted it came off!!!

I wonder what my son will say the musical anthem to his youth was?

Jo

My dad never did, in fact he still says "Axl who?" !! My mum still hates them, I think at a pinch she'll tolerate November Rain but that's about it! They both describe it as "that noise"!! My mum still says Axl Rose is that "rude bloke who swears all the time!" Hey I guess that still makes me a rebel!! LMAO!!

Jo

My dad never did, in fact he still says "Axl who?" !! My mum still hates them, I think at a pinch she'll tolerate November Rain but that's about it! They both describe it as "that noise"!! My mum still says Axl Rose is that "rude bloke who swears all the time!" Hey I guess that still makes me a rebel!! LMAO!!

Jo

ya I lived in St Louis at the time, so EVERYBODY knew who Axl was after what had happened. My dad didn't like him because of that and One In a Million and Get In The Ring, but some of the songs ended up growing on him, especially UYI 2, he seemed amused with My World.. so whenever I visit him now I always make a point to play some GNR at some point, and he'll say "oh yea! whats Axl up to now?" :P

Its cool how Axl's music can appeal to anyone :)

My sister who is 11 likes a band or some artist for like a year and then gets tired of them.I`ve been a Gn`r fan for as long as i can remember.Also Aerosmith,Queen and Megadeth are bands that i have listened too forever.My mom can listen to Sweet Child,Don`t Cry and November Rain but not the other songs,the faster ones.She doesn`t understand what it is about Gn`r and especially Axl that i worship.I can`t really explain what it is either.

Its cool how Axl's music Guns N' Roses can appeal to anyone :)

Yes, it is..

-Kickingthehabit

Quite right to!

That was a complete lack of respect to Ron, Richard, Dizzy, Robin, Tommy, Brain, Chris, Beich, Gardner, Guns, Freese, Tobias, and Buckethead. Oh and the musicians who actually wrote the songs and recorded the albums..

UK SUBS.

We can always better ourselves, SUBS.. ;)

-Kickingthehabit

Yes, it is..

-Kickingthehabit

Quite right to!

That was a complete lack of respect to Ron, Richard, Dizzy, Robin, Tommy, Brain and Chris! B)

UK SUBS.

oh please,.,i call it axls band all the time. thats what it is. sometimes its gnr depends on the mood :D

nowadays suck and we got nothing. more and more kids come to realize they were born too late.

Sadly I think that's true for music.

mhm, and i wouldn't be surprised if with all the promotion the majority just wouldn't dig CD and appreciate it properly.

nowadays suck and we got nothing. more and more kids come to realize they were born too late.

mhm, and i wouldn't be surprised if with all the promotion the majority just wouldn't dig CD and appreciate it properly.

The amount of time it's taken to get to us, I hope the majority love it.

You, people on this board no doubt.

The new songs I've heard I really like. I can't get 'Better' out of my head.

I love all those i've heared too. But it's not about you or people here, it's about those who need the fucking promotion.

Yes, it is..

-Kickingthehabit

Quite right to!

That was a complete lack of respect to Ron, Richard, Dizzy, Robin, Tommy, Brain, Chris, Beich, Gardner, Guns, Freese, Tobias, and Buckethead. Oh and the musicians who actually wrote the songs and recorded the albums..

UK SUBS.

-Kickingthehabit

...thought you'd like that one ;)

When I read your intelligents posts I just wish you were on 'our side' - maybe we could trade you in with A_D with a can of diet Pepsi, and a Robin poster going to every Slashite?

Seriously, think about it buddy B)

UK SUBS.

LMAO these bunch of posts are awesome!

Yes, it is..

-Kickingthehabit

Quite right to!

UK SUBS.

-Kickingthehabit

...thought you'd like that one ;)

When I read your intelligents posts I just wish you were on 'our side' - maybe we could trade you in with A_D with a can of diet Pepsi, and a Robin poster going to every Slashite?

Seriously, think about it buddy B)

UK SUBS.

LMAO these bunch of posts are awesome!

Yes they are, HA! rock3

I love all those i've heared too. But it's not about you or people here, it's about those who need the fucking promotion.

Too true.

Long lasting? Ok a lot of today's bands don't last for a long time, but is that much different then in former times, or with GNR? The "new" Guns N Roses is great I've seen them in concert and I loved what they were doing, but it's not the same band as when I saw them in 1993. We all know it's only Axl left (and Dizzy, but I can't remember having seen him back then). For Izzy he's not in the Band, haven't seen him in 2006 nor 1993. But after all (now the "new" guys are GNR) it's not GNR 1993 anymore. It's just a singer with more or less the same songs and a different band. I think a lot of singers from bands that break up today will still be on stage in 10 years. The difference is they don't own the band name and will play more "new" music then.

For solo artists (as Enimem was mentioned) , they for sure own the name, but it's not like GNR has done much in the last years (before the current tour). To there is still a lot of time for Enimem to come back from retirement so his retirement might be a lot shorter than Axl's "Studio time".

So I think GNR is very special (as it's a completly different GNR).

So now for all those how might want to attack me about not really loving GNR: I've seen some 10.000 peaple waiting for Axl in the middle of the night. Most of them expecting the promoter comming out like: "Sorry but GNR will not be on the stage tonight". I cannot honestly see that for a lot of "new" bands/acts. Even when they are really successfull a lot of them are not able to get that many people waiting for them (now, not in 10 years)