Advice please?

I sing for a band i just sing with no insturment in my hand , but i can play guitar just as good as the guitarists in the band can and i write most of are music, lyrics/music but if im on stage like i dont want people to think oh "hes just the singer the guitar players do all the writing" and i dont get credit for the songs that i wrote. Do i have to play guitar in the band to make people see that i do write stuff apart from lyrics? or im a stupid for writing stuff and leting other people play it and me just singing over it? this is the type of shit thats keeps me awake all night. i would be thankfull for your thoughts on this because im not sure what other people think.

Thanks. rock3

It sounds like you're most worried about getting credit from the crowd for writing the guitar parts, right? If that's the case, maybe you can play a couple of solos on a few songs during your set. That way, the guitarist gets to still play the majority of the guitar parts during the gig, which makes him happy, and the crowd gets to see your ability on the guitar.

Jeez, don't even worry about that. Who cares? If the crowd is liking it, just feel a satisfaction to yourself that you wrote it. If somebody asks who wrote the song, tell them it was you. I'm sure your bandmates would tell people that you wrote it if someone asked them. Just because you have a guitar in your hands doesn't say that you wrote it. You don't need to go around flaunting, "Oh yeah, I wrote the songs by the way." If that's what you want to do, you're not in it for the right reasons. That's putting on an attitude of being more important than your bandmates, which is a real problem. In that case, it better be clear legally who wrote the songs, because if you're being so possessive of things and "I'm in control," your bandmates are going to want to quit on you and then you'll have o legally prove those songs are yours if you want to keep them!

Jeez, don't even worry about that. Who cares? If the crowd is liking it, just feel a satisfaction to yourself that you wrote it. If somebody asks who wrote the song, tell them it was you. I'm sure your bandmates would tell people that you wrote it if someone asked them. Just because you have a guitar in your hands doesn't say that you wrote it. You don't need to go around flaunting, "Oh yeah, I wrote the songs by the way." If that's what you want to do, you're not in it for the right reasons. That's putting on an attitude of being more important than your bandmates, which is a real problem. In that case, it better be clear legally who wrote the songs, because if you're being so possessive of things and "I'm in control," your bandmates are going to want to quit on you and then you'll have o legally prove those songs are yours if you want to keep them!

Something about that scenario sounds familiar.

but ya, what he said. Noone is going to assume anything about who wrote what based on what instruments people are playing.

More importantly, if you want your band to stay together, you're probably gonna have to quit worrying about it.

Its not that i want to be in control its just that i want people to know im im take a part in the song writin because i dont want people to think " of yeah hes just the pretty face if thay lost him it wouldnt matter" because i always here people saying " singers dont and cant write shit and thats why thay are singing ijn the first plase" which piss's me off i just want to be reconized thats all .

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I tend to think the lead singer does most of the writing, not the guitarists.

Me too...

Get over it, you're the singer and singers are always the coolest. Fuck guitar! :fuckyou:

Dude you're the singer.. the frontman.. People have their attention on YOU. They think you're the one who does everything. You don't need to play guitar..

Plus playing an instrument, just for image.. is dumb. Play it because it makes the sound fuller, or something like that.

Me too...

Get over it, you're the singer and singers are always the coolest. Fuck guitar! :fuckyou:

Fuck you! :P

Sucker Punch, you dont have to show anything but your voice and stage presence, if both are good you will be the center of attention. I can see why you might get a little pissed because you wrote some of the guitar parts and they play/get credit for them, but thats just what its like to be in a band. Everybody works together to write something and then everybody does their part on stage whether they wrote it or not. I wrote some cool bass lines for a few songs but I play lead guitar, its no big deal if the end product kicks ass.

But answear this as a frontman, are you worried more about what people think about you as an individual on stage, or are you more worried about what people think of the band as a whole? You'll be a better frontman for putting more energy into the band and not in yourself, you dont want to pull an Axl and have your musicians walk out on you...

Edited by sweetness

Me too...

Sucker Punch, you dont have to show anything but your voice and stage presence, if both are good you will be the center of attention. I can see why you might get a little pissed because you wrote some of the guitar parts and they play/get credit for them, but thats just what its like to be in a band. Everybody works together to write something and then everybody does their part on stage whether they wrote it or not. I wrote some cool bass lines for a few songs but I play lead guitar, its no big deal if the end product kicks ass.

But answear this as a frontman, are you worried more about what people think about you as an individual on stage, or are you more worried about what people think of the band as a whole? You'll be a better frontman for putting more energy into the band and not in yourself, you dont want to pull an Axl and have your musicians walk out on you...

I would be more worried about what people think of the band as a whole because its a band not a solo band its all about everbody in it. But sadly most people dont realy think like that thay look at one person or mabe 2 and make ther mind up but not in all the time

Me too...

I would be more worried about what people think of the band as a whole because its a band not a solo band its all about everbody in it. But sadly most people dont realy think like that thay look at one person or mabe 2 and make ther mind up but not in all the time

Yeah, thats just how it is. But when you impress those who think like that you know youre doing something right.

Me too...

:rofl-lol: you young ass bitches :P , the guitarists usually do all the work while the singers are at home suffering from LV syndrome.

and sucker punch, just pull the anthony kiedis card and play one of the solos- no harm no foul.

Edited by quadlaser

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about everyone knowing that you wrote all the music. :unsure:

Fans can tell when someone writes their own music because they tend to move and sing from a deeper place when they wrote the music. When a singer's heart and soul are in it - it shows onstage. Sounds corny - but true.

At the same time, I agree with Sweetness: If you're in a band, you want to work together as a band and play together as a band. That means leaving your ego at the door.

Besides - when you get a record deal, everybody will see the writing credits on the album insert. B)

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Me too...

:rofl-lol: you young ass bitches :P , the guitarists usually do all the work while the singers are at home suffering from LV syndrome.

and sucker punch, just pull the anthony kiedis card and play one of the solos- no harm no foul.

Bitch, I'm a veteran.

Nikki Sixx?

Richie Sambora? Ok, with Jon Bon too...

And to add:

Pete Townshend and Steve Harris.

Who cares really, if you realese an album you can put a big fat note on the album sleave saying you wrote the music and words.

It depends on whether the singer can play anything or not. If he can't then he has to work with one of this bandmates to create the music for his words. Otherwise it's just nice poetry...

Guitarrists tend to write a lot of stuff, and what ends up happening is that they'd rather sing it themselves than deal with a lead singer, like Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, Zakk Wylde, etc.

Fans can tell when someone writes their own music because they tend to move and sing from a deeper place when they wrote the music. When a singer's heart and soul are in it - it shows onstage. Sounds corny - but true.

Exactly, same thing goes for guitarists, bassists, and drummers.

No matter what people say, the frontman is the band.

Thats where youre wrong