Axl hates UYIs?

Newbie Rose

quit crying and enjoy what we have

God you ppl suck so bad sometimes

always bitching about something

Well, I would say that that is just what fans do. It's the same idea as a sports team. Fans dissect the decisions the team makes and they also second guess. Every fan has their idea of what they'd like to see happen. This is all because they are so passionate about the team. What would sports talk stations sound like if everyone thought, hey just shut up and enjoy what you get? That equals apathy. I understand that some fans see others as being too hard on the band (bashing if you will); but on the other side we seem to have a group of fans that want to stifle any conversation that isn't 100% positive about everything related to the band. There should be a balance.

Edited by KBear

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would say that that is just what fans do. It's the same idea as a sports team. Fans dissect the decisions the team makes and they also second guess. Every fan has their idea of what they'd like to see happen. This is all because they are so passionate about the team. What would sports talk stations sound like if everyone thought, hey just shut up and enjoy what you get? That equals apathy. I understand that some fans see others as being too hard on the band (bashing if you will); but on the other side we seem to have a group of fans that want to stifle any conversation that isn't 100% positive about everything related to the band. There should be a balance.

you cannot compare guns n roses to a sports team. the reason is, gnr is a band that we all love and has been out of the scene for years. sports teams show up every year and play the same game. we are lucky to have the chance to see gnr again. many of us thought this day would never come. therefore, we should embrace the fact that gnr is back producing records and touring. to the contrary, we expect a sports team to be there every yr. in that sense, it is easy to question a sports teams decision because their existence is taken for granted. we should not take for granted the fact that we get to see axl perform on stage again

so

as i have said before

sit back and enjoy

I'm also under the impression that a large amount of the Illusions should be credited to Slash as far as the different sort of era is concerned. He is the one who assembled the illusion tour band. The horns and backup singers were his idea

..Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Anyone remember what interview that was in?

R.

I think he avoids the UYI material because that material is associated with a time that he no longer wants the GNR name, (which he owns), to reflect. He wants to forget the garish, over produced GNR and come back reinvented as an incredible rock band with incredible talent that is reminiscent of the band that made Appettite.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were some legal issues involved as well.

The UYI era was entirely of Axl's own making. We waited years for it to come out, (these were teen years for me so they seemed longer then four years does now!), and what came out was very different to the band we all loved, (Metallica fans know what I mean...). I think it's sad that he peaked so early and I hope he can come back again.

The last time I saw him was in Albany NY in 2002. Other than the constant trips back stage, ( see: pure oxygen ), he was incredible. The set list for this tour looks awful similar to the set list for that tour though. How many times do you shell out the better part of $100 to see and hear 1/5 of something you loved?

They should do ALOT more new stuff. I am tired of paying for "Oldies but goodies". The set list has like three new songs on it, (are the Blues and CD still new if you are already tired of them? ), "Better" being the only truly new song. I want new music. NOW. JMO.

I'm also under the impression that a large amount of the Illusions should be credited to Slash as far as the different sort of era is concerned. He is the one who assembled the illusion tour band. The horns and backup singers were his idea

..Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Anyone remember what interview that was in?

R.

He may have put the backing band together, but I don't know if it was necessarily his idea to do so.

you cannot compare guns n roses to a sports team. the reason is, gnr is a band that we all love and has been out of the scene for years. sports teams show up every year and play the same game. we are lucky to have the chance to see gnr again. many of us thought this day would never come. therefore, we should embrace the fact that gnr is back producing records and touring. to the contrary, we expect a sports team to be there every yr. in that sense, it is easy to question a sports teams decision because their existence is taken for granted. we should not take for granted the fact that we get to see axl perform on stage again

so

as i have said before

sit back and enjoy

Good points. I hadn't thought of it that way. Of course I do think everyone here is happy that Axl is accessible again and that the album is likely near. But do you want every post to be like this? What a boring forum that would be. Does Axl/GN'R always make the right decision, 100% of the time? If not then that is fair game for fans. We're fans, we discuss the band and every facet of it.

While your point is a good one, that sports teams and a band are very different, I think the criticism from each type of fan comes from the same thing - and that is their passion and interest in the team/band. The people complaining about the setlist are obviously the ones who follow the band closely and watch a lot of shows, not the casual fan who goes to one show and then forgets about the band for the next year.

Btw, I will enjoy II tonight, but I'd be lying if I said part of me wasn't hoping for something new/different.

Edited by KBear

I love those albums. Fuck I'm listening to Back Of Bitch right now. I just don't think this band needs to play them. Lets roll on, and get some Chinese Democracy tunes.

Back of Bitch sounds like a much different song than Back off Bitch... was Back of Bitch a follow up to It's So Easy?? :P

Axl said this year (maybe during the Eddie Trunk interview) that the UYI songs were something more personal than made by the band as a team, and everyone was like: "i don't do this in this song if yu don't do that in that one"...

So, i think axl prefers to play songs made by "Guns n' roses" rather than songs made by "Rose, Stradlin" "Stradlin, Slash, McKagan" etc..

Arrgghhhh. There's a website I was browsing around one day (I got the link off of here, by the way) where Axl was doing an interview with, I'm going off memory here, Del James and the topic of the backup singers and horns came up. Axl said with his own lips that it was Slash's idea. The live touring band with all of the backups was dreamed up and assembled by Slash. Axl said he liked the idea and agreed with Slash to do it.

Also, Axl has said many times during the illusions era that the reason he ran around on stage is because he was so pumped up about the music that the band plays. He had nothing but praise, musically anyways, that whole time about that lineup of GNR. He liked Gilby as well during the tour.

Forgive me for not citing, I don't have all day to go back and find it. Someone on here knows what I'm talking about. It was a website with an archive of old GNR interviews, etc.

So, I wouldn't say he doesn't play the illusions because he doesn't like them. All this speculation about Axl doing this or that because he didn't like the band at this time or that time is silly. I mean, they had all of two records of original material in four years. It's not like Aerosmith with four or five eras. I mean, some people say he doesn't like Appetite for whatever reason, and others say he doesn't like the illusions for whatever reason. Well, what does he like and why did he do it if he hated it so much? We all know how Axl is about doing something he doesn't want to do. Seems hard to believe he would do 6 years of a band he hated.

Who knows why Axl doesn't do UYI?

I have not been to any of the shows or seen any of the feeds, but my guess is that Axl right now is trying to strike a balance to build up a lot of buzz without being too much of a "pumper" or "hypester".

I always felt that the thing that makes GNR the best ever in my mind is that there are SO many songs that I think are incredible that the public would never even be able to recognize or sing along too. So, he has to strike a balance.

I would love to see them do a live show with these underrated masterpieces:

Rocket Queen

Breakdown(**one of their best ever IMHO)

Don't Damn Me

Coma

One in a Million

Back off Bitch

Civil War