Old Band-Class Acts

Turn_It_Up

With CD hopefully due before end of year and the "new" band out touring, I think it deserves to be highlighted how the old members have conducted themselves as true class acts during this period.

There's a small, but seemingly growing minority of posters here who love to do nothing but heap their daily bullshit against the old band, both musically and professionally, and especially Slash. In their minds, Slash and Duff have been the root of most delays for CD and will stop at nothing 24x7 to try and bring Axl down. The conspiracies and amount of hate spewed would almost be comical if the ex-Gunners(and Axl) hadn't given us so much great music and memories.

So, as the shit throwing from this vocal minority continues to heat up, let's look at the facts. For all the attempted demonizing of Slash and the old band, the easy-to-see reality is that these guys have been ACE, IMO. Here it is right before CD and the ex-members have commented very little on the new band(suprisingly little), other than a few positive quotes from Slash and Matt over the past 6 months. Rather, they've kept to doing their own thing rather than being drawn into the fray.

Were Slash near the "media opportunist" the GNR camp called him, he as well as the rest of the ex-Gunners could be filling up their days granting interviews and slamming this incarnation to what you know would be a frothing media. With Slash, Duff and Matt(particularly Slash) waging an ongoing public rag against this band they could do considerable damage to Axl's return. You don't see any of that and I think they've shown remarkable restraint and class.

Sure they've filed a couple lawsuits, but that's business and none of us knows the intracacies of the matters involved. It is not airing their shit in public.

This is what made the GNR camp's pissy PR release about Slash and VR so disappointing, but that's a whole other topic that's been beaten to death.

The record shows, once again, that Axl could've done far worse than hooking up with these guys early in his career and that's a monstrous understatement.

Just think it's a striking contrast between the near silence and class from the old band vs. all the juvenile hate being spewed against them...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

both sides have been class as of late. No original members bashing the new incarnation, and no stints like Axl had in the 01 -02 tour where he was bashing them left and right.

Hopefully this can continue and have 2 strong musical powerhouses in the Limelight that can put aside the gnashing and petty junior highschool shit-like behavior.

There's a small, but seemingly growing minority of posters here who love to do nothing but heap their daily bullshit against the old band, both musically and professionally, and especially Slash.

Whoa... did I miss a big-huge-fucking memo?

I'm with you though dude. Rock on.

With CD hopefully due before end of year and the "new" band out touring, I think it deserves to be highlighted how the old members have conducted themselves as true class acts during this period.

There's a small, but seemingly growing minority of posters here who love to do nothing but heap their daily bullshit against the old band, both musically and professionally, and especially Slash. In their minds, Slash and Duff have been the root of most delays for CD and will stop at nothing 24x7 to try and bring Axl down. The conspiracies and amount of hate spewed would almost be comical if the ex-Gunners(and Axl) hadn't given us so much great music and memories.

So, as the shit throwing from this vocal minority continues to heat up, let's look at the facts. For all the attempted demonizing of Slash and the old band, the easy-to-see reality is that these guys have been ACE, IMO. Here it is right before CD and the ex-members have commented very little on the new band(suprisingly little), other than a few positive quotes from Slash and Matt over the past 6 months. Rather, they've kept to doing their own thing rather than being drawn into the fray.

Were Slash near the "media opportunist" the GNR camp called him, he as well as the rest of the ex-Gunners could be filling up their days granting interviews and slamming this incarnation to what you know would be a frothing media. With Slash, Duff and Matt(particularly Slash) waging an ongoing public rag against this band they could do considerable damage to Axl's return. You don't see any of that and I think they've shown remarkable restraint and class.

Sure they've filed a couple lawsuits, but that's business and none of us knows the intracacies of the matters involved. It is not airing their shit in public.

This is what made the GNR camp's pissy PR release about Slash and VR so disappointing, but that's a whole other topic that's been beaten to death.

The record shows, once again, that Axl could've done far worse than hooking up with these guys early in his career and that's a monstrous understatement.

Just think it's a striking contrast between the near silence and class from the old band vs. all the juvenile hate being spewed against them...

That juvenille hate is being spewed by people who are probably juvenille, protected by the fact that they are not saying it in person, but on the internet, and has nothing to do with Axl and the old band. This is a weird post, because I agree with your intent in writing it. I think that people that slag the old band are silly, but it has nothing to do with whether Axl, Slash Matt or Steven Adler are class acts. In fact, for every moron that says "Slash sucks, Robin is better" there's another moron who says "Nu-GnR will never fly with a fat braided rapper who can't sing anymore" Both of these people are wrong. If your intent of your post was to slag the former of these two groups, more power to you, but don't forget the other end of the spectrum. If it was to make Slash and co. look better than Axl and co., then it was just a dumb post.

BTW, I think it would be great for the new band if Slash came out and trashed them. Rock could use nothing better than a VR vs. GnR feud. That would be real rock n roll.

Eschman, the main point of my post is that if you strip away all the shit tossed here on the board and instead look purely at Axl's former band members themselves, they've acted beyond cool during this time. And it does show class. If not supportive, they've at least stayed quiet and let Axl continue do what he has to do. Even 10 years later, that can't be an easy thing to do given their incredible legacy with the band and you know they must get asked about it everywhere they go by baiting reporters.

While I agree with you that almost any publicity is good publicity, if the old band ganged up and put an orchestrated effort into publicly mocking the new lineup as GNR, it would not be a positive thing for Axl or the band, IMO...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Good post

But didnt VR dress up like the new GNR to take the piss? I remember a picture that was posted here...

Not exactly, Slash dressed up as buckethead and Scott Dressed up as the 80's/890's Axl. Dave, Duff and Matt weren't dressed as new GNR members.

800_a37590f39ebf1788a099e9be4b5766e3.jpg

A8R

Edited by allen8r

Yeah, other than those fishnets, I do think Duff looks very classy there...and HOT, don't you? :wub::lol:

Some of you guys have to have a sense of humor implant. First of all, that gig was a while back whereas I was specifically referring to this more recent period with CD seemingly on the near horizon and the new lineup on tour. And I don't recall them verbally slamming Axl's new band, it was like a 2 song surprise for fun.

If that silly Halloween prank is the worst the ex-Gunners give, then Axl should consider himself very fortunate, IMO...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I think their behaviour has alot less to do with class and alot more to do with a certain March incident. Anyone else find it extremely coincidental that the otherwise chatty ex-members seem to have lost the abillity to speak after some kind of trip to Axls house and some legal stuff we can only speculate on?

I think their behaviour has alot less to do with class and alot more to do with a certain March incident. Anyone else find it extremely coincidental that the otherwise chatty ex-members seem to have lost the abillity to speak after some kind of trip to Axls house and some legal stuff we can only speculate on?

No...I don't think there is a coincidence at all.....I think they are just working on their new album, etc

And they have spoken since March....plenty of times

Wrong, there was very little talk about Axl and his new lineup prior to that, although I look forward to seeing all the negative comments if you have them.

VR is working on their new album and seemingly has the right focus.

But hey, let's not give the ex-members any credit. Not those ditry, rotten SOB's... :tongue2:

I think Axl, Slash, Matt, Duff and Izzy have all really matured over the last few years and it really shows. There doesn't seem to be any bitterness with Axl or the other guys anymore, and whilst they may not be best friends, there's no 'Slash is in my ass' comments going on or anything.

It's a shame that the GNR/VR community is 100x more hostile than those guys. :(

Yeah, other than those fishnets, I do think Duff looks very classy there...and HOT, don't you? :wub::lol:

Some of you guys have to have a sense of humor implant. First of all, that gig was a while back whereas I was specifically referring to this more recent period with CD seemingly on the near horizon and the new lineup on tour. And I don't recall them verbally slamming Axl's new band, it was like a 2 song surprise for fun.

If that silly Halloween prank is the worst the ex-Gunners give, then Axl should consider himself very fortunate, IMO...

Tell you what TIU - how about we re-bump this thread in a few months - lets see how classy the comments are then buddy? - they'll get their chance to comment - everybody will be in line when it hits the stores. Ex members wont be excluded...

Although I'm sure Axl finds himself fortunate :D

Transplant? :( where's the love!?

Cool, let's see the comments in a few months(and I'm excluding Steven--given his situation who knows what he's going to say). I don't expect Slash, Duff and Matt to be showering the new band with love(why would they), but I'll be very surprised to see ugly comments. Izzy was the one who made the most personal remarks against Axl and they seem to have patched things up.

Slash and Duff will be persued and have to comment at some point. I think they'll keep things very general and not go too deep. You really expect Slash or Duff to get ugly? As you say, we'll see who's right.

But already, the topic has been shifted away from the ex-Gunners behavior to date...to the future. If their comments on CD are positive, then we'll probably hear that the ex-members are only playing nice to greedily try and get back with Axl for a reunion and all that dirty money they care so much about.

As a GNR fan, why is it so hard to just give them credit? Slash's Appetitie is right, the anomosity between the fan camps here is far worse than with the Gunners. Hence my original post...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Good post

But didnt VR dress up like the new GNR to take the piss? I remember a picture that was posted here...

Not exactly, Slash dressed up as buckethead and Scott Dressed up as the 80's/890's Axl. Dave, Duff and Matt weren't dressed as new GNR members.

A8R

:lol: Thats the one

Anyway, like HisRoyalFatness said, whether Slash n' co were class acts or not doesnt really matter, because in 02 Axl was spewing immature bullshit about his former bandmates. And yeah I know, rockstars arent really mature anyway, but hes said some of the most retarded things in his rants since the breakup. The "slash is in my ass" thing is so fuckin gay, anybody who thinks that is funny has such a weak sense of humor, my 10 year old brother has more clever insults.

Edited by sweetness

Guest Yanni_16

Good post

A8R

:lol: Thats the one

Anyway, like HisRoyalFatness said, whether Slash n' co were class acts or not doesnt really matter, because in 02 Axl was spewing immature bullshit about his former bandmates. And yeah I know, rockstars arent really mature anyway, but hes said some of the most retarded things in his rants since the breakup. The "slash is in my ass" thing is so fuckin gay, anybody who thinks that is funny has such a weak sense of humor, my 10 year old brother has more clever insults.

Axl made that comment more out of anger than humour. If you recall from the video clip, the only reason Axl made that comment was because some smart ass fan decided to hold up a "Where's Slash?" sign. Remember when this new band first got started in '01/'02, a lot of fans thought it'd be an oh-so-brilliant idea to bring "Where's Slash?" signs or wear black wigs and top hats. After about the 10,000th time of seeing this, it's only natural that Axl's gonna start getting a little pissed.

Edited by Yanni_16