What was grunge?

GNR Rocks35

Grunge is not "was," grunge is "is." There are still bands out there that capture the spirit. Yes, they're mostly older, but there are good newer ones too. Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, and CSNY are the grunge groups touring now that come to mind. All three are tried and tested, but they are all still grunge on some level or another. As far as new bands, I'd point you to Phantom Planet. I saw them open for Sting, and they put on quite the show. Solid live bands if you hear their stuff other than that shit California.

Grunge is not "was," grunge is "is." There are still bands out there that capture the spirit. Yes, they're mostly older, but there are good newer ones too. Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, and CSNY are the grunge groups touring now that come to mind. All three are tried and tested, but they are all still grunge on some level or another. As far as new bands, I'd point you to Phantom Planet. I saw them open for Sting, and they put on quite the show. Solid live bands if you hear their stuff other than that shit California.

Black Crowes grunge?

They're close to the rolling stones or aerosmith then pearl jam and nirvana.

The Black Crowes are sorta pot smoking sothern rock type stuff.

I love them though and just saw them last month. rock3

They have a very grungy element to them at times. They may not wear flannel, but they certainly have a grungy flavor to em.

Really? Chris Robinson's a hippie, they're kinda polar opposites. The grungiest they get is the more Led Zep influenced stuff IMO.

Exactly. It's still grungy though. Being a hippie doesn't exclusively mean being in a 60s style flower band. Eddie Vedder, Michael Stipe, and - yes - Chris Robinson have proved that pretty sucessfuly, I'd say. They've created, what to me, seems like the modern-day equivalent of Woodstock hippies. Pick up a copy of Freak N Roll. The Crowes certainly aren't a pure grunge band, but there's a certain grungy overtone that does shine through quite frequently.

And just to support that you can be loud and a hippie simultaniously, they rock the end of that CD with The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Black Crowes and CSNY? wtf are you smoking? CSNY is f-ing folk music lol

Did you hear the way they played the Living With War material, Ohio, Rockin In The Free World....they did a mighty good job of pretending to be a grunge band. And that Neil guy who sings for em. They call him the Godfather of somethingorother. Soul? No, that was James Brown.....Folk? Nope.....oh wait. Grunge, maybe? I do think so. So they play grunge songs and one of their members is known as the Godfather of Grunge. I'd say you don't have to smoke too hard to think that there constitutes at least a nod to 'em as a grunge band. I'm not saying they don't do folky stuff, 'cause then I'd be fuckin stupid, but they certainly are grunge when they try.

Did you hear the way they played the Living With War material, Ohio, Rockin In The Free World....they did a mighty good job of pretending to be a grunge band. And that Neil guy who sings for em. They call him the Godfather of somethingorother. Soul? No, that was James Brown.....Folk? Nope.....oh wait. Grunge, maybe? I do think so. So they play grunge songs and one of their members is known as the Godfather of Grunge. I'd say you don't have to smoke too hard to think that there constitutes at least a nod to 'em as a grunge band. I'm not saying they don't do folky stuff, 'cause then I'd be fuckin stupid, but they certainly are grunge when they try.

I agree Neil Young had some pretty depressing and grungy songs but IMO the real godfather of Grunge is King Buzzo from The Melvins. He created Nirvana basically and he was around way before anyone heard of AIC or Soundgarden....etc

Edited by Axlized

I agree Neil Young had some pretty depressing and grungy songs but IMO the real godfather of Grunge is King Buzzo from The Melvins. He created Nirvana basically and he was around way before anyone heard of AIC or Soundgarden....etc

And Neil was rockin with the Horse before him. Rust Never Sleeps may be one of the first real pioneering grunge records. Ace shit, that is!

grunge was a label slapped on a bunch of band by a couple of johnny-come-lately scene makers who noticed that a small group of bands from seattle had something vague in common inasmuch as they seemed to be punk inspired rock bands. this later evolved into a marketing scheme n has escalated to the point where some people think the label might mean something.

Edited by frankwhite

grunge is when you take the fun out of rocknroll

hair metal may have looked really silly,but hey for that livestyle I'm willing to dress like that....grunge ontheother hand hated fame

most of all: Hair metal had Tawny Kitaen,grunge had Courtney Love...need I say more :P

the music was good though :)

i've read/heard alot of arguments about what grunge "was" or "is"

and yet i have never gotten an answer

kick ass genre whatever it is

If you really haven't understand what grunge is about check this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

Grunge music (sometimes also referred to as the Seattle Sound) is a genre of alternative rock inspired by hardcore punk, heavy metal, and indie rock. It became commercially successful in the early 1990s, peaking in mainstream popularity between 1991 and 1994. Bands from cities in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, such as Seattle, Olympia, and Portland, created grunge and later made it popular with mainstream audiences. The genre is closely associated with Generation X in the US, since it was popularized in tandem with the rise in popularity of the generation's name.[1] The popularity of grunge was one of the earliest phenomena that distinguished the popular music of the 1990s from that of the 1980s.

And as all the members above have already said:

grunge= Nirvana + Pearl jam

grunge was the combination of alternitive and punk pearl jam was not a real grunge band but they will forever be labeled as one. Grunge bands would include nirvana, alice in chains, soundgarden. Stone temple pilots were not a grunge band they just had the look and they helped the grunge movement so did pearl jam grunge did not last for very long. But it will be remembered forever. On youtube you can find the behind the music of grunge it will tell you everthing.