A Break from the Negativity

FinckFortus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While (some of) you bitches were over-analysing and generally complaining, GNR was giving probably the best show so far of this tour. Check out the setlist:

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. It's So Easy

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Live and Let Die

5. Knockin' On Heavens Door

6. Better

7. Band Jam (Indian Groove)

8. Sweet Child O' Mine

9. You Could Be Mine

10. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo

11. The Blues

12. Band Jam

13. Guitar Solo

14. Out Ta Get Me

15. IRS

16. Piano Jam / November Rain

17. Don't Cry Guitar Solo

18. Rocket Queen

19. Madagascar

20. My Michelle

21. You're Crazy (AFD)

22. Patience

23. Nightrain

ENCORE

24 Chinese Democracy

25. Paradise City

That should bring a smile to your faces.

well thats good they put afd You're Crazy in the setlist but do you guys think the song crazy was You're Crazy

Yeah. Most bands dont write out the full songs for the setlist.

Anyways- I think this is a great set (though I never complained once :P )

Edited by appetite for illusions

you guys will want what you want, but i think you guys are missing the point on this one?,

most fans... the avg fans!, the majority at the concerts, don't like all of gnr's songs like us hardcore fans, so think about it, why play songs that the majority can't get into?? it's not very smart when your trying to release an album!.

Sad but true my friend. A logical thought would be that the ones who've stuck with them through the last 10 years of confusion would be the ones to cater to,hence the ones who would go bonkers with Don't Damn Me or Coma, but the reality is, that the concerts are a different animal. The ones going are at least 50/50 between these types and the average fan who is just going with a friend or wants to check out GNR because they maybe liked a few tunes back in the day - Shit, this is confusing stuff - no wonder Axl is pissed at you! :xmassrudolph:

Awesome setlist? With the exception of 'Think about you' and 'Anything Goes', every AFD song was played. You dont need me to tell you that the majority of those songs are over 20 years old.

I dont see what is 'awesome' about hearing a cover band. You have to remember that the musicians (Obvioulsy minus Axl and Dizzy) in the current line up did not write or have anything to do with 80% of the music they are playing, so this pushes them towards a tribute band rather than a cutting edge Rock Band surely? Why are this new band getting credit for playing other people's material?

If they want recognition as a real band, they have to play their own music! I thought this was called the Chinese Democracy tour?

After going to a few shows this year, it is obvious what is more popular to the crowd. How well does 'IRS' go down when compared to 'WTTJ'? Or 'Better' versus 'Its so easy'? The old material is much more appreciated than the new. Largely because the new stuff seems pretty alien to most GNR fans, and please remember that this forum is probably less than 0.1% of GNR fans in the world. So dont give me the argument 'the majority on this Forum thinks the new stuff is cool so your wrong'.

I remember hearing this set minus the new songs at Donnington in '88, so all they have added is a few new songs in eighteen years. What a shame the band never carried on what it started. The new songs are alright, but certainly nothing that will be listened to in twenty years time though.

just play one in a million, civil war or breakdown....and threats bashing the setlist are passé :)

If they want recognition as a real band, they have to play their own music! I thought this was called the Chinese Democracy tour?

I really cant beleive Im even saying anything..

because I totally understand where your coming from..

but, in this case..they played most of the new songs they've been playing..

minus most notably T.W.A.T...

It'd be nice for some new songs..

or, even a few more illusion era tracks thrown in..

and, I've even made that joke..

it looks like the AFD tour..the sequel..

you even say in your post, that the crowd dies down because they dont know the new songs..

so..from a concert go-ers point of view...dont you think it'd be to much of a risk to play songs that the crowd isnt familiar with..occupying the set of more songs that they dont know..or, to slip in a few new tunes..and, play what a majority of what the people came to see...

Im sure this is why there doing what there doing..

Some good points, but I have to disagree. Every GNR fan I know has heard the leaks, and looking at the amount all the torrents etc. have been downloaded, then I'd say 80% of concert goers have heard the new material.

Do you not just think possibly the new material just isnt as good as the old stuff hence the reserved reaction at concerts? All I can say is how me and my friends reacted. We went absolutely mental to all the older stuff, yet found IRS and Better are not songs you can go mental to, as they dont have that depth and spirit to them. Just my opinion. I personally believe the new stuff is not accepted as well because it is simply nowhere near as good.

From a raw power point of view, i think the tracks from AFD work best in a live setting. They are quite simple songs and were designed to be played by a few musicians. The material from CD contains more layers and will probably work better (than AFD) played from compact disc on audio equipment. I have a great set up including a pair of B&W speakers :D

Edited by dobadog

Personally, I wish that they'd do kind of what Pearl Jam does....you go to a PJ concert, and you never know what you're gong to hear...different hits, different encore...tons of other songs off all albums...

I've been to two GNR concerts, and two PJ concerts, and as much as I loved hearing GNR, I loved hearing all the other non-hit PJ songs. I went to a Toronto concert, and my brother went to a Lodon concert the next night and the set was totally different, yet we both absolutely loved the sets. This happened two years prior with PJ as well. And, personally if I could, I'd go to PJ two or three times in the same tour because every show would be different.

now, if GNR did this, yes they could play all their hits, but then throw in a breakdown, a coma, dead horse, tons of others, and it's still be rockin.

I think that it would be great if you never knew what you where going to hear on any given night.

It was a great concert Axl looked and sounded great There were no rants nor any mention of the upcoming Chi-Dem album or reference to it even on the merch?

I did enjoy the set list but would have rather at least heard all the demos played. The band memebers deserve that.

The low crowd attendance was sad.

But all and all the best Appetite for Democracy or Chinese Destruction show yet. :book:

rock3

While (some of) you bitches were over-analysing and generally complaining, GNR was giving probably the best show so far of this tour. Check out the setlist:

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. It's So Easy

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Live and Let Die

5. Knockin' On Heavens Door

6. Better

7. Band Jam (Indian Groove)

8. Sweet Child O' Mine

9. You Could Be Mine

10. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo

11. The Blues

12. Band Jam

13. Guitar Solo

14. Out Ta Get Me

15. IRS

16. Piano Jam / November Rain

17. Don't Cry Guitar Solo

18. Rocket Queen

19. Madagascar

20. My Michelle

21. You're Crazy (AFD)

22. Patience

23. Nightrain

ENCORE

24 Chinese Democracy

25. Paradise City

That should bring a smile to your faces.

As a fan I do not care what they play as long as I am there !!!!!

Rock ON Guys !!!

Thanks,

Rainman rock3

Personally, I wish that they'd do kind of what Pearl Jam does....you go to a PJ concert, and you never know what you're gong to hear...different hits, different encore...tons of other songs off all albums...

First off, I agree...in principle.

PJ and GNR are my 2 favorite bands.

2 completely differnet kinds of shows though. GNR is all about lights, pyro and whatnot. PJ's actualy stage show is very minimal. Makes variety easier to pull off without having to worry about the stage type stuff.

And even for all the talk about how the UYI tour didn't use a setlist, it was pretty much the same show every night. Sure, there were 3 diffent legs (summer 1991, the 12 piece band, Skin N Bones) but if you looked at each individual leg separately, there was not much variation night to night save for literally the very first few shows in summer 1991.