A Break from the Negativity

FinckFortus

Awesome setlist? With the exception of 'Think about you' and 'Anything Goes', every AFD song was played. You dont need me to tell you that the majority of those songs are over 20 years old.

I dont see what is 'awesome' about hearing a cover band. You have to remember that the musicians (Obvioulsy minus Axl and Dizzy) in the current line up did not write or have anything to do with 80% of the music they are playing, so this pushes them towards a tribute band rather than a cutting edge Rock Band surely? Why are this new band getting credit for playing other people's material?

If they want recognition as a real band, they have to play their own music! I thought this was called the Chinese Democracy tour?

After going to a few shows this year, it is obvious what is more popular to the crowd. How well does 'IRS' go down when compared to 'WTTJ'? Or 'Better' versus 'Its so easy'? The old material is much more appreciated than the new. Largely because the new stuff seems pretty alien to most GNR fans, and please remember that this forum is probably less than 0.1% of GNR fans in the world. So dont give me the argument 'the majority on this Forum thinks the new stuff is cool so your wrong'.

I remember hearing this set minus the new songs at Donnington in '88, so all they have added is a few new songs in eighteen years. What a shame the band never carried on what it started. The new songs are alright, but certainly nothing that will be listened to in twenty years time though.

Guess they should've played only one song during the "Get in the ring tour" then?? :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: setlist changes, remember during the UYI days that maybe all of '91-93 had the same core songs with some changes here and there, from time to time. If you were to look at '92 let's say, you'd see minor changes only throughout the course of the year.

It depends on your perception of a set list change. Switching out 2 or 3 songs for me is a set list change, albeit a minor one. But they are going to stick to the same group of songs for now until they release their new CD. Honestly, I am very happy that its still such a heavy Appeitite list. I do wish there were some more UYI tunes though for some of the more loyal fans. But nevertheless, the set list posted above has me fired up - Worcester Nov 8.

Some good points, but I have to disagree. Every GNR fan I know has heard the leaks, and looking at the amount all the torrents etc. have been downloaded, then I'd say 80% of concert goers have heard the new material.

Do you not just think possibly the new material just isnt as good as the old stuff hence the reserved reaction at concerts? All I can say is how me and my friends reacted. We went absolutely mental to all the older stuff, yet found IRS and Better are not songs you can go mental to, as they dont have that depth and spirit to them. Just my opinion. I personally believe the new stuff is not accepted as well because it is simply nowhere near as good.

hmmm..

maybe they have heard it..

I honestly dont know..

I think a lot of the fans going are just old fans who hear GnR are coming to town..

better grab me a ticket..kinda people..

In all reality..

your not wrong..The new stuff doesnt touch the old stuff..

and, thats a given..

They dont contain the same spirt?!?..

yah..you could say that..

nothing can touch the aura that Welcome to the Jungle, or You Could Be Mine gives off at a concert..

those are the songs..how you would go "mental" to..

Most of the newer songs..have more of a mellow type feel..

and, probably dont hype the place up as much..

probably a lot of people dont know all the words to em' either..

but, if you or others feel all these things..

I dont see how replacing older songs, with newer ones would do any good..

AND those old songs have that cult feeling about them that the new ones can´t have ATM. When that time comes, Axl´s way to old to perform them :(

While (some of) you bitches were over-analysing and generally complaining, GNR was giving probably the best show so far of this tour. Check out the setlist:

That sounds like something Del might say. Well, this "bitch" would have loved to go to this show, but I can't afford to drop $1,000 for a ticket and plane ride down to Greensboro, plus I had to be at work that day. I know that's not rock n' roll baby, but losing my job and going into (even more) debt would, well, really suck.

Anyways, the setlist was pretty good. Adding You're Crazy really isn't that big a deal, but it would have been cool to hear - the main attraction for me though is the sheer quantity of songs they played. It was a little fuller than the typical show.

My criticisms of the setlist are two fold:

1. They shouldn't be almost completely ignoring UYI. There were lots of great songs on those albums. There are lots to choose from, and those songs would mesh well with Axl's new sound. KOHD is a momentum killer the way the new band performs it. LALD is a Wings cover - c'mon they can do much better than that. Why not replace these two songs? Why not also replace TAY or OTGM? Do you guys really think the casual fan comes to hear these songs? Lots of casual fans bought UYI back in the day. They would be familiar with Dead Horse, Breakdown, Yesterdays, etc. So the whole idea that you need to keep the same setlist for the casual fan is bogus.

2. They should play more new songs, or at least play what they do now more consistently. And Axl needs to introduce these songs better. Tell the crowd what the song is called and that it's off of the upcoming Chinese Democracy album, maybe a bit of other background info on the track. That would at least give the fans a bit of knowledge and they would freaking understand what it was they were hearing. This would give the songs a bit more acceptance. But the key to this point I'm making is that they can't go on doing a Chinese Democracy Tour for much longer and not release a single and then soon after the album. I don't get why this band couldn't start touring a little later on in the year when the album was on the verge of release. Instead we've got 6 months of mainly the AFD Tour redux and this only serves to undermine the album because people will see GN'R as a nostalgia act, and not a force for change and something new. A lot of the reviews note how this band plays primarily AFD tracks - this is the word that is getting out there and it will not help the band if their ultimate goal is to bury the past.

Is anyone going to miss songs like Knockin on heaven's door, Patience, LALD, out ta get me,etc? I wish they'd toss that shit out and stick in some kick ass songs like don't damn me and dead horse. Those cover tunes are played out and Patience is just a momentum killer...

The Dizzy Reed piano solo also seems gratuitous....

As far as the rest of the setlist, it's just right, perhaps a little too AFD heavy, but thats okay. Just the right amount of CD songs imho...in fact I think we may have already heard too much of the album as it is....

Patience is a classic though..once of the best GNR songs ever

they even played it back in 1988...wasn't a momentum killer then...

2. They should play more new songs, or at least play what they do now more consistently. And Axl needs to introduce these songs better. Tell the crowd what the song is called and that it's off of the upcoming Chinese Democracy album, maybe a bit of other background info on the track. That would at least give the fans a bit of knowledge and they would freaking understand what it was they were hearing. This would give the songs a bit more acceptance.

Could not agree more here.

I don't even need him to give us the backstory. But my god Axl, give them the name to the damn song!! :lol:

You´re crazy AFD-version :o Have they even play that version(AFD) during the UYI-tour...??

Never heard a single bootleg of that song, beside the Lies version on Live ERA...

It wasn't the AFD version. It was the GN'R Lies version. Still kicked ass though. Great concert.