AXL ROSE: The Voice of A Generation

axlslash

Anyway, I'm not sure about the deep poetic analysis. I think it got lost somewhere between the trailer park and shoplifting the six-pack of Schaefer.

I think you missed the point. Those parts are just the dude playing with common themes stupid teenagers can relate to.

In the broader perspective, it's about an ideal dream of something that you can taste, but will ultimately lose grasp of because of various circumstances. The sweet melody and verses all reflect attributes of perfect bliss, but sooner or later the taint of the real world kicks in when the thing you cherished ends up in ruins. The turning point is brilliantly composed by Slash's solo, which in itself tells a beautiful story. It begins with somber, slow, bluesy notes, kind of a sad confusion about where things went wrong. Then, like storm clouds gathering, he rips into this raging anguish that grows in intensity, portraying someone on the brink of insanity. When Axl asks the ultimate question, he is at his lowest point. Everything is lost, but he repeats himself while growing more frustrated with the realization that his cherished dream has been forever shattered.

When the dude refers to postmodernism, I think he's trying to underline the issue of societal corruption. Everything today, even something as beautiful as love, has become dirtied by exploitation, the media, basically the selfish ideology of capitalism. Divorce rates have risen, kids are growing up under shit conditions, the poor get poorer, people jump from partner to partner with no real feeling of responsibility or grasp of true love, etc. There is little that is genuinely pure and long-lasting anymore.

good post. i'm in agreement with you for the most part. especially regarding the "story" told by slash's solo. listening to the song now, that story pops out at me.

i do disagree with your assessment of the trailer park and shoplifting schaefer's beer quote. i don't think that was used to appeal to teenagers of today. rather, i think the author is appealing to the teenagers of the era in which this song was written. while i was certainly too young at the time to personally have this sort of experience, my older brother wasn't....and i can easily see him and his girlfriend at the time taking on the roles of the couple described in the essay.

As the lyrics go, Axl Rose sings, "I'm just sitting here staring at your hair, and it's reminding me of a warm, safe place where as a child I'd hide."

the lyrics are:

Her hair reminds me of a warm safe place

Where as a child I'd hide

:lol::lol: !!..

I dont know how the dude could of possibly came to the conclusion that..thats what the lyrics are..

if he acutally listened to the song..

that just sounds so gay!!..

"Im just sitting here staring at your hair."..

.. :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

eh..

about the article..

I dont know what to say.. :book:

Maybe he meant..

"I wish my name was really claire".. ?

Or maybe he was trying to put it into a more literal sense, as if it's what the guy is thinking in his head as he's sitting with his girl.

Christ, you people never fail to amaze me.

that dude is seriously overthinking the song.

i don't get people who have to dissect things into oblivion. just enjoy..............

I just don't think GNR lyrics are deep enough to dissect that thoroughly. That's not a knock on em, hell I post here dont I? But They aren't like Dylan, where every word choice and line has 15 different ways to interpret it and all make sense.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2622568...TC-RSSFeeds0312

Nov. 1, 2006 — It turns out that Guns N' Roses' "Sweet Child O' Mine" is the voice of my generation.

It narrates the 20th century's transition from optimism to disillusion, beginning with some dude's poetic idealization of his girlfriend, and dissolving amidst the sound and fury of encroaching insignificance.

Watch the full report on the "World News" webcast.

It's like taking your date to the malt shop and winding up in a tomb.

The song's unforgettable opening guitar riff has earned it a place on many an aerobics mix tape, and justly so.

Its lyrics tell of an escapist teen love. I imagine the song's subject, "Sweet Child," wearing ripped jeans and several Cyndi Lauper bracelets, our narrator picking her up in the back of the trailer park in his green Impala, and they cruise to Makeout Point.

As the lyrics go, Axl Rose sings, "I'm just sitting here staring at your hair, and it's reminding me of a warm, safe place where as a child I'd hide." I can see them embracing tenderly, and going to shoplift a six-pack of Schaefer. So far, so good.

Then suddenly, out of nowhere, Slash's guitar drops the nihilism of postmodernism, and lite-rock riffing gives way to wah-wah-drenched fury. His melody lashes out like the neglected cry of some abandoned creature, like the grasping arms of a drowning man.

Our narrator's voice resurfaces — deep, growling and utterly changed. He's asking a simple question, over and over. It repeats and builds into a falsetto wail, an epic complaint that demands an answer he knows he won't get.

Lost Ideals

It's one thing to write an essay bemoaning the decentering of contemporary man in postmodern society.

It's another thing entirely to play a wailing guitar solo that viscerally embodies that decentering. Slash's solo is our voice — 2,000 years after a resurrection we never witnessed, facing a future that seems insoluble.

"Sweet Child O' Mine" doesn't simply pin its hopes for the satisfaction of mankind on idealized romantic love. Nor does it mow over the daisies and burn down the malt shop.

Wow, talk about reading between the lines, its tool boxes like this that obsess themselves with bands. That guy is a walking tool box.