Sanctuary co-founder walks taking rock icons with him

snooze72

By Harry Wallop Last Updated: 11:39pm GMT 03/11/2006

Sanctuary, the troubled music group which manages James Blunt and Elton John, has suffered another setback, with two of its most senior executives quitting the group, threatening an exodus of artists. Rod Smallwood, one of Sanctuary's co-founders, announced his departure yesterday, taking with him the company's oldest client: Iron Maiden.

Pomp and circumstance: Sanctuary is to lose its oldest client, heavy metal band Iron Maiden

His departure comes just three days after Merck Mercuriadis, Sanctuary's highest-paid employee, left the company. The company had kept his departure quiet because he was not a director. There are fears that two of his acts - Axl Rose and Morrisey - will follow him out of the door.

The company has had a terrible year, with a plummeting share price and the discovery of "fundamental errors" in its accounts. It is understood that Mr Smallwood is quitting to join fellow founder Andy Taylor, who was ousted from the group in May.

Iron Maiden, the heavy metal band, were discovered in a London pub by Mr Taylor in 1979, but had always been managed by Mr Smallwood. In the song "Sheriff of Huddersfield", Iron Maiden likened Mr Smallwood to the miserly Sheriff of Nottingham.

Mr Smallwood was a director until March and was paid £491,000 last year. Mr Mercuriadis took home £1.24m. It is understood neither will be receiving a severance package.

Sanctuary was insistent yesterday that their departures will have no substantial impact on its accounts. The shares, which were 434p at the start of the year, closed down 1 to 13p.

Edited by snooze72

By Harry Wallop Last Updated: 11:39pm GMT 03/11/2006

Sanctuary, the troubled music group which manages James Blunt and Elton John, has suffered another setback, with two of its most senior executives quitting the group, threatening an exodus of artists. Rod Smallwood, one of Sanctuary's co-founders, announced his departure yesterday, taking with him the company's oldest client: Iron Maiden.

Pomp and circumstance: Sanctuary is to lose its oldest client, heavy metal band Iron Maiden

His departure comes just three days after Merck Mercuriadis, Sanctuary's highest-paid employee, left the company. The company had kept his departure quiet because he was not a director. There are fears that two of his acts - Axl Rose and Morrisey - will follow him out of the door.

The company has had a terrible year, with a plummeting share price and the discovery of "fundamental errors" in its accounts. It is understood that Mr Smallwood is quitting to join fellow founder Andy Taylor, who was ousted from the group in May.

Iron Maiden, the heavy metal band, were discovered in a London pub by Mr Taylor in 1979, but had always been managed by Mr Smallwood. In the song "Sheriff of Huddersfield", Iron Maiden likened Mr Smallwood to the miserly Sheriff of Nottingham.

Mr Smallwood was a director until March and was paid £491,000 last year. Mr Mercuriadis took home £1.24m. It is understood neither will be receiving a severance package.

Sanctuary was insistent yesterday that their departures will have no substantial impact on its accounts. The shares, which were 434p at the start of the year, closed down 1 to 13p.

:unsure:

Jesus thats a massive drop in share price. I take it that they are going into the blender soon. Also if Axl(and not GNR?) leaves it can only delay the album... :(

It's disheartening to see that they say that "Axl Rose" is one of his acts, and not "Guns N' Roses"

You beat me to it...

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Nov 3 2006, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jesus thats a massive drop in share price. I take it that they are going into the blender soon. Also if Axl(and not GNR?) leaves it can only delay the album... :(

:( , we don't need more delays, I hope this doesn't mean anything big

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Nov 3 2006, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's disheartening to see that they say that "Axl Rose" is one of his acts, and not "Guns N' Roses"

You beat me to it...

me too

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Nov 3 2006, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure how it would have any effect on the release date for the album. Sanctuary are their management company, not the record company.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.b @ Nov 3 2006, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I'm not sure how it would have any effect on the release date for the album. Sanctuary are their management company, not the record company.

Still theres the whole playing with paperwork, which is never fast. I suppose your right, well hope more then anything. Besides they would hardly do anything to delay it at this point, or would they...

Mr Mercuriadis took home £1.24m.

How much is that in Americaland dollars? :unsure:

xe.com Universal Currency Converter ® Results

Live mid-market rates as of 2006.11.04 02:14:28 UTC.

1,240,000.00 GBP = 2,356,988.76 USD

2.3 million dollars?! :o

WHY? What the hell makes him worth that?

Jesus Christ. :huh:

The painful reality is that is's unerstandable. All in all, nobody cares for he rest on GNR's ever changing lineup. As much as I love the new bad in exception to Robin, they are just hired men playing mostly someone elses songs. Thats the way it will be until Chinese Democracy drops...and maybe even after that to a certain degree.

A8R

Sanctuary sound like they are on hardtimes.

If Merck has left Sanctuary then where does that leave HTDGTH (here today gone to hell) as there were reports that Merck owned Jarmo's ass and HTDGTH was being run on the Sanctuary servers.

Sanctuary sound like they are on hardtimes.

If Merck has left Sanctuary then where does that leave HTDGTH (here today gone to hell) as there were reports that Merck owned Jarmo's ass and HTDGTH was being run on the Sanctuary servers.

With any luck, he'll be out of business.