New Rolling Stone Ish:Four-Star Show Review!

Estrangedfx

Guns N Roses

Continental Airlines Arena,East Rutherford,New Jersey

Nov 5'th --4 Stars!!

Axl Takes New Jersey With A Hit Packed Extravaganza

"Do you know where the fuck you are?!" Axl Rose howled,seconds after walking onto a darkened,smoky arena stage.It was,for once,a question worth pondering,if only because the anwser was so hard to believe:It was 2006 and we were somehow at a Guns N Roses concert-one where a bunch of guys with names like Brain and Bumblefoot were about to play an improbably note-perfect version of "Welcome To The Jungle"

Every riff,drum,accent,guitar solo,vocal harmony and scream was in it's place,down to Rose's song-closing "Huh!".Over the next 2-plus hours,the band went on to give the same precise treatment to most of GNR's greatest songs,from "Patience" to "November Rain",plus the old bands two most famous cover tunes,"Live And Let Die" and "Knockin On Heavens Door".

It sounded like the perfectionist Rose has been rehearsing this band-in which keyboardist Dizzy Reed is the only link to earlier lineups-for eight hours a day for years,forcing them to live up to the name they inherited.

The most significant departure from the original arrangements came in extended guitar solos from new guy Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal-the replacement for the departed Buckethead-who burned through un-Slash like alien-sounding licks.

The eight member band arrived onstage close to midnight,delayed by problems with a keyboard,and played until 2:00 AM."Those technical delays had nothing to do with my sorry ass-not tonight!" said Rose,who appeared to be roughly double the size of his 1988 self,which made his still nimble dancing seem more ursine than serpentine.But he was in a cheerful mood and in spectacular voice,or,rather,voices: As always,the emotive near-baritone he uses on "Patience" bore little resemblance to,say,the devil woman shriek of "Nighttrain".

If anything,the show-which came complete with long solo spots from most of the band members and lots of pyro was overslick,with a creeping Vegas-y vibe.

But Roses inclusion of four songs from the purportedly -due-this-year Chinese Democracy helped the performance feel vital,especially since one of them-the poppy yet headbanging "Better" is among the best tunes he's ever written. "I like it here" said Rose."I think I'll stay a while".

End.

Also,this review is from Brian Hiatt,who was also the one who gave us the recent (though yet to be determined-how reliable) status on "Chinese Democracy".

He also did that brief review on the leaked tracks,referring to "Better" as a song which had most of the Illusion records beat.Hiatt sounds like a fan to me.I'm thrilled he's really taken a liking to the new tracks,rather than simply kissing Appetites ass like the rest.

Edited by Estrangedfx

Guns N Roses

Continental Airlines Arena,East Rutherford,New Jersey

Nov 5'th --4 Stars!!

Axl Takes New Jersey With A Hit Packed Extravaganza

"Do you know where the fuck you are?!" Axl Rose howled,seconds after walking onto a darkened,smoky arena stage.It was,for once,a question worth pondering,if only because the anwser was so hard to believe:It was 2006 and we were somehow at a Guns N Roses concert-one where a bunch of guys with names like Brain and Bumblefoot were about to play an improbably note-perfect version of "Welcome To The Jungle"

Every riff,drum,accent,guitar solo,vocal harmony and scream was in it's place,down to Rose's song-closing "Huh!".Over the next 2-plus hours,the band went on to give the same precise treatment to most of GNR's greatest songs,from "Patience" to "November Rain",plus the old bands two most famous cover tunes,"Live And Let Die" and "Knockin On Heavens Door".

It sounded like the perfectionist Rose has been rehearsing this band-in which keyboardist Dizzy Reed is the only link to earlier lineups-for eight hours a day for years,forcing them to live up to the name they inherited.

The most significant departure from the original arrangements came in extended guitar solos from new guy Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal-the replacement for the departed Buckethead-who burned through un-Slash like alien-sounding licks.

The eight member band arrived onstage close to midnight,delayed by problems with a keyboard,and played until 2:00 AM."Those technical delays had nothing to do with my sorry ass-not tonight!" said Rose,who appeared to be roughly double the size of his 1988 self,which made his still nimble dancing seem more ursine than serpentine.But he was in a cheerful mood and in spectacular voice,or,rather,voices: As always,the emotive near-baritone he uses on "Patience" bore little resemblance to,say,the devil woman shriek of "Nighttrain".

If anything,the show-which came complete with long solo spots from most of the band members and lots of pyro was overslick,with a creeping Vegas-y vibe.

But Roses inclusion of four songs from the purportedly -due-this-year Chinese Democracy helped the performance feel vital,especially since one of them-the poppy yet headbanging "Better" is among the best tunes he's ever written. "I like it here" said Rose."I think I'll stay a while".

End.

Also,this review is from Brian Hiatt,who was also the one who gave us the recent (though yet to be determined-how reliable) status on "Chinese Democracy".

He also did that brief review on the leaked tracks,referring to "Better" as a song which had most of the Illusion records beat.Hiatt sounds like a fan to me.I'm thrilled he's really taken a liking to the new tracks,rather than simply kissing Appetites ass like the rest.

Edited by Estrangedfx