Honest Review of Chicago Show

ryan78

I flew in from St. Louis for the show. I am a huge GNR fan. This was my first GNR concert.

Unfortunetly, I was very disappointed with the show.

Disclaimer- I was there to see Axl and GNR songs of old. I am biased in that I am not familiar with their new stuff and have no interest in any of the current band members other than Axl.

Concert Cons:

1. Long solos hurt the shows momentum

2. Poor acoustics (I was 2nd row right of stage and couldn't hear the lyircs of many songs)

3. Lacking crowd excitement (lots of booing during solos and new songs)

4. Alcohol sales stopped before GNR took the stage

5. Axls voice was not strong (Axl was sick)

6. Opening acts dry and tired

7. No tirades from Axl

8. Bad venue- smoking areas filled the halls with dense smoke

9. Overly expensive concert t-shirts and poor merchandise selection (I wanted old school GNR gear)

10. Performance was overly mechanical - Axl needs new management (a better exec team could transform AXL and the band to deliver on what concert goers wants. I doubt they do exit surveys and from the crowds body language it appears Mgmt do not understand their audience

11. Too large of venue- empty seats suck the life out of concerts

12. During Nightrain there appeared to be technical issues - it sounded like voice tracks were being played when Axl was supposed to be singing (I do not have any evidence other than my perception)

Concert Pros:

1. Axl performed - the world greatest singer is still amazing - even with 12 points above working against him

2. Axl's voice - I would rather see Axl at his worst than 99.9% of all other artists at ther best

3. Mr. Browstone, Paradise City, November Rain

4. Snake dance and running in place at end of stage.

I had very high expectations going into the show... I was inebriated when I arrived and left yearning for more.

I rate the show a 6.5 out of 10 and will not see Axl again unless he restructures the framework of the show.

Edited by ryan78

the headline claims that this is the "truth"...and you start of by telling everyone that you're biased...

The title implied I was to provide truthful feedback (part of the honesty is informing the reader of my biasis and expectations).

.... and inebriated!!!

When I stated I was inebriated, I did not intend to imply I was fall down, black-out drunk. Instead, I flew in with four buddies and alotted enough time in Chi-Town to have drinks before the show. The statement was meant to suggest I was in a great mindset for the show. Perhaps I should have used a different term... "buzzed"?

I am happy to hear many had a great time at the show. Personally, I had fun. I made the most of the concert even though I was disappointed.

I was one of those silly people who bought "Rock in Rio" Lisboa tickets back in 2004. This show was a CANCELLED, but we went to Lisboa anyway. Having said that, my expections for the Chicago show were very, very high.

I agree with your assessment of the show. Although I had a great time, overall, I wish they hadn't started so late. We had a long drive back home and had to get up at 6:00a.m. the next morning. We left during Paradise City... almost 2:00am, to avoid traffic (how sad to leave a rock concert to avoid traffic).

The solos were somewhat long and there were too many of them. The show did seem to lose mementum during the solos. Also, the sound wasn't too good, either. It was often difficult to hear the vocals, but it was fun singing along. It would have been great to keep the solos short and maybe incorporate them into a song, or something, just to keep up audience enthusiasm, which was great at times!

On an aside - The Suicide Girls: there were a lot of kids in the audience who were taken out of the arena by their parents, or were told to avert their eyes. I've never seen a strip/burlesque show during a concert. Is this something new? It was kind of fun, but still a little much for the kids...

Anyway, I digress... the show was a good experience, but I wish they'd started earlier. OH, and the T-shirts were too expensive and the graphics on them weren't that great.

I flew in from St. Louis for the show. I am a huge GNR fan. This was my first GNR concert.

Unfortunetly, I was very disappointed with the show.

Disclaimer- I was there to see Axl and GNR songs of old. I am biased in that I am not familiar with their new stuff and have no interest in any of the current band members other than Axl.

Concert Cons:

1. Long solos hurt the shows momentum

2. Poor acoustics (I was 2nd row right of stage and couldn't hear the lyircs of many songs)

3. Lacking crowd excitement (lots of booing during solos and new songs)

4. Alcohol sales stopped before GNR took the stage

5. Axls voice was not strong (Axl was sick)

6. Opening acts dry and tired

7. No tirades from Axl

8. Bad venue- smoking areas filled the halls with dense smoke

9. Overly expensive concert t-shirts and poor merchandise selection (I wanted old school GNR gear)

10. Performance was overly mechanical - Axl needs new management (a better exec team could transform AXL and the band to deliver on what concert goers wants. I doubt they do exit surveys and from the crowds body language it appears Mgmt do not understand their audience

11. Too large of venue- empty seats suck the life out of concerts

12. During Nightrain there appeared to be technical issues - it sounded like voice tracks were being played when Axl was supposed to be singing (I do not have any evidence other than my perception)

Concert Pros:

1. Axl performed - the world greatest singer is still amazing - even with 12 points above working against him

2. Axl's voice - I would rather see Axl at his worst than 99.9% of all other artists at ther best

3. Mr. Browstone, Paradise City, November Rain

4. Snake dance and running in place at end of stage.

I had very high expectations going into the show... I was inebriated when I arrived and left yearning for more.

I rate the show a 6.5 out of 10 and will not see Axl again unless he restructures the framework of the show.