Honest Conecert Reveiws?

Matt_11

Im only 15, but have been listening to G'nR before my age hit double didgits. But because last thursday was the first time in 13 years they came to edmonton, it was the first time id ha a chance to see them. I honestly think the sound quality couldve been better, not the bands fault, but just not perfect, but with sebastain bach there with axl, and the duet, well worth my 100$ for floor seats. Ive touched Axl. Rose, w/o being kicked out. lol. that picky SOB.

Im 25 same situation as you Matt, however I had to wait until I was 20 to see GNR for the first time. I saw them in Minneapolis on Dec. 2. To be as unbiased (if that's possible) the show was amazing. 25 song set which lasted roughly 2.5 hours. I mean c'mon how often are you going to see Axl and Sebastian singing together on "My Michelle"? If you don't love that your not a real fan. The Minneapolis paper (Star Tribune) even sarcastically teased that it wasn't really Axl on stage, because "this guy" was much too professional, gracious, and willing to share the spotlight with the other members of the band. Tons of energy, I'd rate it a 9 out of 10, Axl was battling strep throat, and the sound systems in a lot of the older arenas arn't the best--general consensus from Mpls during and after the show------crowd loving it!

-Pitsburgh 02

-Boston 02

-New York 02

-First Hammerstine Show 06

-Las Vegas both nights

-Toronto 06.

He's showed up for every show I've gone to and has blown me away each time.

I've seen a lot of good concerts too.

Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith/Mötley Crüe etc.

But I hold the Flyod and the Gn'R shows up at top because it was exactly what a legendary conecert was everyone working their ass off fans being blown away and a great time.

Edited by Axl98

Its a great show, but next time I want to go see them, I'm going to be more cautious. I bought tickets to Continental and MSG, and the shows were nearly identical... I expected something a little different, but the only difference was that they played Rocket Queen at NJ, and not in NYC. Its worth seeing once, but after that, save your money because you're paying to see the same thing twice.

Inland Invasion 9/23.

He totally faked us out. An hour after AIC finished their set, the lights went down, I fired up my old pipester, smoked some sticky while everyone got excited...and then the house lights went on and we got to wait another hour. By 'he', I mean Axl. I'm sorry, but only he would have the balls to pull something like that, so I blame him. I thought it was hilarious...other people got pissed and left...and I was in the really good seats.

I waited my whole life to see 'GN'R' live despite having probably 60 bootlegs from 86-93. Axl gets a 9/10 for his amazing performance. The show overall gets a 5/10 from me. The solos were the final nail in the coffin...people didn't pay $90 per ticket and wait 2 hours between bands to sit thru 3 Yngwies showing off. I understand they're talented and nice folks, but the audience just wasn't into it and I really wasn't either. I've seen Dream Theater and Van Halen plenty of times...I paid to see 'GNR', not a guitar wank-off...there's other bands for that.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who felt that way as 60% of the audience was easily gone by the time BBF finished his longass 'Don't Cry' solo. The place was 70% empty by Paradise City, but it was painfully obvious people were looking at each other and leaving out of boredom during the solos.

I don't care if you love the solos, you're entitled, but lotsa people don't and I'm just calling it like I saw it. You keep your opinion, I keep mine.

I hope the L.A. shows go off without a hitch - I'm looking forward to at least one of the shows, but I'm definately not looking forward to getting home at 3am and going to work at 8.

EDIT - there's been a number of nutswingers on this board lately who feel the need to tell people with dissenting/non-flattering opinions that they are somehow factually wrong with statements like 'who the fuck are you to say...' ...to those people, I said it, kiss my ass and get over it...mmmthanks.

Edited by SterileEyes

I was at that show. Felt the same way. The energy died at the first solo and it never came back. Nearly everyone I overheard on the way out thought the show sucked.

Amen, thank you for sharing.

I don't get any pleasure reporting things like this. I support Axl and want him to succeed...even if I don't agree with him using the GN'R name.

I've posted my opinion plenty of times, but it bears repeating: You may not agree with my opinion (or the person that just agreed with me), but the fact is, long indulgent solos in addition to long delays between bands is going to cost them fans in the long run.

Yes, attendance is up from 2002. Is anybody going to say that somehow the delays and solos contributed to this? "Gee honey, let's go see Axl's band...I heard last time around they no-showed twice and when they did show up, they made you wait a looooong time and spent 30% of the show letting the new guys show off...sounds like a great time, let's go!"

Or perhaps concert attendance is higher this year than 2002 on average to begin with? In addition, he's still playing plenty of half empty (or half full) places. I'd hardly call this tour a 'huge success', more like 'not a failure'. Axl couldn't possibly work any harder other than getting his ass up there before 11pm, I'll give him that much.

I find it hard to believe that attendance wouldn't be up even more this year had the 2002 tour gone 'better'.

They also had the leaks out this year which probably sparked enough interest to account for the slight uptick in attendance this tour.

Bottom line - the solos and delays getting onstage are not helping. Axl is the gifted troublemaker at school who keeps committing expulsion-worthy offenses and getting second chances. One original member + hours of delays + these long solos = reeeeeeeeeally pushing it. I hope it doesn't cost him. I say that as a fan with an opinion, not as some hater with nothing better to do.

I went to a few back in the early 90's when I was kid and I remembered having a great time but that's about it. This year I went to the May 14th at Hammerstein, November 5th at Continental Airlines Arena, and November 10th at Madison Square Garden. Hammerstein was awesome, Continental Airlines Arena sucked monkey balls, and Madison Square Garden was great. I liked Hammerstein the best because I prefer smaller venues.

Im 25 same situation as you Matt, however I had to wait until I was 20 to see GNR for the first time. I saw them in Minneapolis on Dec. 2. To be as unbiased (if that's possible) the show was amazing. 25 song set which lasted roughly 2.5 hours. I mean c'mon how often are you going to see Axl and Sebastian singing together on "My Michelle"? If you don't love that your not a real fan. The Minneapolis paper (Star Tribune) even sarcastically teased that it wasn't really Axl on stage, because "this guy" was much too professional, gracious, and willing to share the spotlight with the other members of the band. Tons of energy, I'd rate it a 9 out of 10, Axl was battling strep throat, and the sound systems in a lot of the older arenas arn't the best--general consensus from Mpls during and after the show------crowd loving it!

My first time seeing GnR was Dec. 2nd as well....were you down on the floor? I read that review too...gave me a laugh :P .

Well my plans didn't quite work out to meet Axl ( :rolleyes: )....but he did make eye contact and smile at me :heart: !

And I got to touch BBF and his guitar!!

twas an amazing show altogether.

Its a great show, but next time I want to go see them, I'm going to be more cautious. I bought tickets to Continental and MSG, and the shows were nearly identical... I expected something a little different, but the only difference was that they played Rocket Queen at NJ, and not in NYC. Its worth seeing once, but after that, save your money because you're paying to see the same thing twice.

If most people don't like seeing things twice, why are there so many reruns on TV?

I don't get any pleasure reporting things like this. I support Axl and want him to succeed...even if I don't agree with him using the GN'R name.

How many times do we have to hear this same old song about the GN'R name? :book:

What about the classics like "I love Slash", "The new band sucks", "VR beats their asses" or the smash hit called "Axl Rose is a douche"? :sleeper:

Hey, Mr./Ms. Opinion Police, why don't you suck a splattery fart out of my asshole...

I'll say whatever the fuck I like, whether or not you agree. Thanks.

I thought people from Finland were pleasant and tolerant of others. Shame on you, prick.

My first time seeing GnR was Dec. 2nd as well....were you down on the floor? I read that review too...gave me a laugh :P .

Well my plans didn't quite work out to meet Axl ( :rolleyes: )....but he did make eye contact and smile at me :heart: !

And I got to touch BBF and his guitar!!

twas an amazing show altogether.

I was in the seats right to the side of the stage. I hate all these people on here hating on Axl, it's like some of you are stuck in a frickin time warp, this isn't 1990. Slash will never be in the band again, and GNR will never be the same with only 1 superstar, and Axl is no where near perfect...it's not like that should be a shock. Everyone knows Axl is Axl, whether its becuz he severaly bipolar or whatever, you know he's gonna pull crazy shit for no reason, so why go to the show when you know this might happen and then complain about it later? The fact is that all these people bitching will shell out their money again when GNR goes on tour promoting Chinese Democracy another 4 years from now. And for all the people complaining about the length of the show....man you aren't even real fans Axl is one of the 20 greatest front men in music period, I would wait their all night to see him, cuz I think his combination of music/lyrincs is genious, and he gives 110% when on stage. Seriously its like why even come to this site if you wanna hate on Axl and the new band, its like what a waste of fuckin time. I'm not trying to get in an arguement with anyone but its like I don't like Country Music, so I don't go to country music concerts, and then complain about how bad they sucked and what a douche bag the performers are? it just doesn't make sense, let's be real most of the haters have built up animosity and blame Axl for GNR not being the same GNR they were in the 80's

I saw them for the first (and only so far!) time on 29 July at Wembley Arena! It was a fucking awesome show! Axl was in a great mood, I loved the solos, the pyro blew my mind and all of the guys were fucking rocking up on stage!

I couldn't fault it in any way and would go and do it all again tomorrow if I could... And I don't care about listening to the same setlist.. I listen to Appetite, UYI, Live Era etc repeatedly, I obviously love the songs!

Hell yeah I can't wait for them to come back to the UK!

KK x

I went to the show in Everett on December 10 2006 with one of my good girl friends. We drove down from Vancouver, BC. I had never been to a GNR concert before. We had tried to go in 2002, but that is the one which the venue cancelled because though in flight from LA, Axl was not there at 7PM (probably about 5 hours before GNR was even due to take the stage) Sigh.

It was a small venue/crowd. I bet it peaked at around 3000 people. We had general admission floor seats and we were able to get really close, probably about 10 or 15 feet in front of center stage. We got pretty worn out from people trying to mosh/budge/push/fight during the opening acts, especially through Sebastian Bach, but there was no way we were going to move an inch from our near perfect spot for anybody.

There was quite a bit going on around us. A few feet in front of us, some lowlife hick, probably about 6 feet tall, in his 50's, complete with beer gut, smacked a girl, probably about 4'11, 110lbs in the face. Security didn't see and nobody kicked his ass, but he did it to himself. He was in front of us for a bit after, but he had done way too much blow or something. One minute he would be molesting his wife and wiping his sweat off in her hair, then he would be holding his vein popping head like he was going to have a stroke. Luckily his wife talked him into leaving. I still hope he had a stroke though!

Security tossed a few people for smoking cigerettes. The Everett Center does not have a place for smoking and does not allow re-entry. It was a long night for anyone who smokes, including myself, but I didn't want to risk getting tossed. There was a few people smoking herb around us. I would have partaken in one of the doobs being passed around, but it all smelled like cat piss or three month old roaches. Not worth the risk of being tossed!

Finally GNR took the stage at around 11:30PM and delivered and explosive (ha ha especially with the pyro!) performance. Axl looked and sounded top notch!

After a few sets, the inevitable happened. Our bladders were talking to us, and we were dehydrated and thirsty so we made our way out for a break during one of the solos. I didn't think we would be able to get back to our good spots, but by then all of the people who were acting like they could go all night had tired out, and we were able to walk right into a good place probably only another 10 feet behind where we were before.

We thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the performance. I thought Better, IRS and Madagascar all sounded great. I have heard The Blues from a lot of different shows and leaks, and this was perhaps the best I have ever heard it. I don't really care for Sebastian Bach, but I absolutely loved the My Michelle duet!

After Nighttrain, and Axl's "good night!", the lights went out and people started leaving. Nobody chanted "GUNS .... N .... ROSES .... GUNS N ... ROSES". Guilty as charged. I didn't either. I didn't want to be the first. For this reason, and the fact there was probably only 1500 people left, I am surprised the band even came back for the encore, but they did! THANKS GUYS!!!

I wish I had some pictures of videos from the show. Hell, even the opening acts where Bach was encouraging people to hold of their cell phones and take vids and pics. I didn't bring my camera-capable phone since I was paranoid about not being let in or being kicked out.

I would love to hear from other people who were at the show. PM me or drop me a message at stab@obscurity.org. Cheers!

Edited by stab