I'm tired of the ragging on Robin and Co.

Guest Apollo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was on a party yesterday and downloaded nightrain from rock am ring.( very good performance by the way) and told them listen to this!! and the first thing i hear is like "this is just axl with his cover band and guns is nothing without slash" "stupid braids" regular bullshit as always.. annoing as hell.

i just hope when guns release cd people will give them a chance before the judge..

Well, lets be real here, that's not going to happen.

Here is what I expect will be the boilerplate review :

- its good, not great

- not worth the excessive wait

- these guys aren't Slash

That will be in EVERY review of this album. The only differences will be their severity. Some will calim its not worth the wait but still good, while other say its not worth it and who cares. Some will say the guitarists aren't Slash but are still good, other will say its not Slash so who cares.

Nothing you can do about that.

In the end what do you guys want? A cd that critics love and adore, but you don't feel all that blown away by, or a cd that you love to bits regardless of how little it sells?

youre right i want a cd that the fans love(incl. me).

No official pics of the new band.... ;)

Both "Axlites" as well as "fans of the 'real' GNR" will readily admit that the marketing has been piss poor on pretty much every level.

The fact that there are no pics of the new band is not due to a poor marketing strategy. It's intended imo.... Sometimes it's better that certain things remain vague....

Edited by Axingn'r

It´s funny how people get to a GnR concert and expect Slash a co to be there. I don´t think it´s a common scenario but people here sometimes claim that. Well lets say that it happens "all the time". How big fans of Duff and Slash can u be? They have played in VR for years, they have their own band for god sake but still people don´t know about their band!? Makes no sense at all. Either must those "fans" be very arrogant or just plain stupid. OR maby this scenario is rare and almost out of existense. Well, then the people that claim this are the ones that need to put this into consideration..

Why people choose to highlight this scenario is for me pretty obvious. If you do that you also highlight the problem for Axl keeping the name. U want it to be a problem. They also seems to give a shit that it also highlight VR as a less successful band, or are just to stupid to realize it.

AXL ROSE is a great name. Almost as great as the name GUNS `N ROSES itself. So are SLASH, and DUFF.

I´ve said it before and say it again. Axl rose has no advantage of keeping the name compared to Slash and Duff. Why envy Axl for making advantage of it? VR making advantage for having names like Slash, Duff and Matt in it. Names that went great under the name Guns n Roses. Should they change their personal names because of that??

People consider VR more as Guns n Roses just because they have more original guns members in VR. Isn´t that also unfair advantage? I think they deserve that advantage, just as Axl deserves his.

Thats the reason I bought their first album and many others with me. AND Axl PAYED for keeping the name, a fact people here keep ignoring.

i think as long as magament doesn't promote the new guys they will look like hired help and the band looks week. when they do interviews together sign stuff together take pics together talk about life on the road memories with another and don't forget a album to go with that and getting sick of on antoher we'll know thier a sold band. we will also know this is what axl wants. there will always be people whom want the old band back together but when its not an option they will have to accept someone else or not listen when ther's no other choice but it seems the door is open for choices because axls or managment really hasn't done a whole lot to make this look like band and not talented musicans playing a tour together. I personally like the new and the old band. but would like to see some promotion for the new guys so it doesn't seem they are in the old members shadows. but the negive attacking of thier playing needs to stop thier all talented musicans in their own way

Edited by chesire78

AND Axl PAYED for keeping the name, a fact people here keep ignoring.

And that's the problem. Why did he had to buy the name for fuck's sake ? Why did he need to own the name ? Greed ? Power trip ? What was going on in Axl's head ?

Edited by Axingn'r

No official pics of the new band.... ;)

Both "Axlites" as well as "fans of the 'real' GNR" will readily admit that the marketing has been piss poor on pretty much every level.

The fact that there are no pics of the new band is not due to a poor marketing strategy. It's intended imo.... Sometimes it's better that certain things remain vague....

Again, not to anyone paying a speck of attention.

As the point was made upthread, both fans of Axl, as well as those who pledge whatever allegiance they do to the old members know the deal by now.

And let's be honest. This is 2 straight tours with no new product. That is the big reason for lack of promotion. But you are also talking about the diehard of the diehards that are in those arenas.

First of all, if you look at the things that happened, Axl didn't fire any original member of Guns N' Roses.

Slash was NOT fired and Duff was NOT fired.

Learn the facts before you start talking about something like Axl fired the rest of the band and kept the name.

Go over for example to www.gnrsource.com and read some of the stuff that the guys said.

Like Duff's quote what he told Axl when he ,ade the decision to leave GN'R.

It's not that I am totally pro Axl, but it is ok that he is touring with this band and that they are using the name "Guns N' Roses", because this band is "Guns N' Roses", you have to accept that.

Read old interviews and you will see that Axl, Duff, Slash and Matt knew what the new direction of music was. It's not like Slash was faced with some stuff that he never saw or heard before. Duff and Matt thought that the new direction was good. I prefer waiting for "Chinese Democracy" (by Guns N' Roses, not the New Guns, or Axl's Cover band or whatever dumb name creations people use) than having a Guns N' Roses CD from 1996 or 97 full of "Ain't Life Grand" type of songs. "Ain't Life Grand" is a good record, but it would not have been a good Guns N' Roses record.

Now you can bash me. :drevil:

than having a Guns N' Roses CD from 1996 or 97 full of "Ain't Life Grand" type of songs. "Ain't Life Grand" is a good record, but it would not have been a good Guns N' Roses record.

I don't think if that material would've been worked on by GNR, that it would sound he same it did with Snakepit. You got the kick ass riffs, the kick ass solos, all you need is the solid rhythm of Matt and Duff, and once you top it off with Axl's vocals BOOM! there would be GNR.

Edited by moreblack

First of all, if you look at the things that happened, Axl didn't fire any original member of Guns N' Roses.

Slash was NOT fired and Duff was NOT fired.

We know that. But Axl, at a certain point, began treating Slash and Duff as mere employees. There was lack of respect from Axl, that's why they left. That's why Izzy left too....

Axl then thought Robin Finck was good enough to replace Slash.... for fuck's sake that's so insulting !

Moreover, it seems that Axl never tried to convince Slash to come back. That sucks too.

And that's the problem. Why did he had to buy the name for fuck's sake ? Why did he need to own the name ? Greed ? Power trip ? What was going on in Axl's head ?

No not at all. Slash LEFT the band, Duff LEFT the band, then they both tried to then take the name... doesn't exactly work like that. That being said, because they had some creative influence in GNR, it was worthy of a court case even though they both jumped ship.

If I was Axl, I'd have done the same thing.

No not at all. Slash LEFT the band, Duff LEFT the band, then they both tried to then take the name... doesn't exactly work like that. That being said, because they had some creative influence in GNR, it was worthy of a court case even though they both jumped ship.

Exactly. They also wanted the name. So that makes them just as much "assholes" as Axl. The story ended with Axl keeping the name, but their "assholes" attemts was something they all did. Not only Axl.

than having a Guns N' Roses CD from 1996 or 97 full of "Ain't Life Grand" type of songs. "Ain't Life Grand" is a good record, but it would not have been a good Guns N' Roses record.

I don't think if that material would've been worked on by GNR, that it would sound he same it did with Snakepit. You got the kick ass riffs, the kick ass solos, all you need is the solid rhythm of Matt and Duff, and once you top it off with Axl's vocals BOOM! there would be GNR.

Are you fucking for real?

Those Snakepit CDs are laughably bad. If that material didn't have Slash's name on it, the vast majority of you would not even give it a first look, let alone a second.

Are you fucking for real?

Those Snakepit CDs are laughably bad. If that material didn't have Slash's name on it, the vast majority of you would not even give it a first look, let alone a second.

I don't think if that material would've been worked on by GNR, that it would sound he same it did with Snakepit.

did you miss that?

There's some great riffs and solos on there. Slash did his part on those albums. All they needed was maybe some fine-tuning. But Guitar-wise the work is there.

Edited by moreblack

Exactly. They also wanted the name. So that makes them just as much "assholes" as Axl. The story ended with Axl keeping the name, but their "assholes" attemts was something they all did. Not only Axl.

Only a complete idiot would not want the name.

Look, people are sheep. That's just how it is. When Page and Plant reunited in the 90s, they billed themselves as Page & Plant. They did arenas. Yet if they did the same exact show, but called it "Led Zepplin", its a stadium act.

People are goofy that way.

Don't believe me? Velvet Revolver contains 3 times as many GNR members as Axl's current line-up. Yet despite this, as well as having a singer from a successful band of his own, AND with an album out that was well recieved...when they did Download, they were a mid-card act.

Axl, on the other hand, has a bunch of guys that, quite frankly, are hardly household names. He has had no new product for over a decade. He announces he's coming to Download this past year. And in what slot?

AS A HEADLINER

Based on what? Based on the name. That's just business, and that is just common sense.

Velvet Revolver contains 3 times as many GNR members as Axl's current line-up. Yet despite this, as well as having a singer from a successful band of his own, AND with an album out that was well recieved...when they did Download, they were a mid-card act.

Mid card?

I thought they were the last band on before Sabbath.

Believe me, Sharon wouldn't put anyone after Sabbath, no way no how. Not GNR, not Zeppelin, not anyone.

maybe he just feels more comfortable with it, why not, he is the most responsible for it. Say what you want about the other guys, Axl is the bext part of GNR, regardless of era. He just it.

Velvet Revolver contains 3 times as many GNR members as Axl's current line-up. Yet despite this, as well as having a singer from a successful band of his own, AND with an album out that was well recieved...when they did Download, they were a mid-card act.

Mid card?

I thought they were the last band on before Sabbath.

Believe me, Sharon wouldn't put anyone after Sabbath, no way no how. Not GNR, not Zeppelin, not anyone.

The fact remains.

On merit, no fucking way should this current band be a headliner for anything. But they have one of the most instantly recognizable and marketable band names of the past 20 years.

Only a complete fool would not want that. And you are seriously deluding yourself if you don't for ONE SECOND think Slash and Duff rue the day they signed all that shit away.

And we all know the story about the show in Minnesota. Here is what I do, if I'm them.

By that point, I have come to the determination that its just not working with Axl anymore. So once he threatens not to go on, I call his bluff. The show is cancelled, and likely there is a riot. Maybe even the rest of the tour is scrapped.

So you pin it on Axl, whose reputation by that point is just godawful anyway. No one is going to dfoubt you on that. Then Slash, Gilby, Duff, and Matt get a new singer and continue on as Guns N' Roses.

That's what I would have done.

maybe he just feels more comfortable with it, why not, he is the most responsible for it. Say what you want about the other guys, Axl is the bext part of GNR, regardless of era. He just it.

Ever tried to be more diplomatic? Just a little? :D

Ever tried to be more diplomatic? Just a little? :D

no kidding...

And anyways, even if Axl was the best anything, it wasn't by much.