Hey computer learneded peoples, HELP!!!

Gnfnrhead

My computer keeps shutting down for seemingly no reason. 80% of the time it'd be when ''computer usage'' is high (the percentage thing in Task manager) but other times its just goes off.

Examples:

Converting .avi to DVD

Converting .avi to .mov (different programmes)

Burning DVD to Disc

Burning .avi to Disc

Importing a CD into i-tunes

Watching a video on WMP

Downloading

Surfing the net

The first time it happened i was using convertXtoDVD but its happened on other converters since. It wasent the first time i used that program either as ive done a few DVDs with it.

It just goes off like the battery has died or the power has gone. No warning. I thought maybe it wasent plugged in properly but everything is right.

If i turn it on again straight away it shuts down again. I have to leave it for about 2 minutes before turning it back on again.

I did a virus scan but it said i was clean.

Info:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version: 5.1.2600

Service Pack: 2.0

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it before i try a restore?

Edited by Gnfnrhead

Do you get anything like a blue error screen, or anything that pops up after you restart the computer?

To me, the problem sounds like either your memory is starting to die, or your power supply is on its way out.

Do you get anything like a blue error screen, or anything that pops up after you restart the computer?

To me, the problem sounds like either your memory is starting to die, or your power supply is on its way out.

All possible reasons, but if it happens when CPU usage is high, then it could just be overheating.

Make sure all your computer's fans are working and that it's not sitting in an enclosed area with no airflow. You said something about a battery? Is it a laptop? They can overheat really easily if they're sitting on a bed or something - the cloth blocks the fan holes, your computer gets no ventilation and the components overheat. Some just turn themselves off to stop them from combusting.

I dont get anything thankfully it just starts as normal if i leave it for a few minutes. I got a blue screen on my last computer so i hope i dont get one this time aswell :confused:

All possible reasons, but if it happens when CPU usage is high, then it could just be overheating.

Make sure all your computer's fans are working and that it's not sitting in an enclosed area with no airflow. You said something about a battery? Is it a laptop? They can overheat really easily if they're sitting on a bed or something - the cloth blocks the fan holes, your computer gets no ventilation and the components overheat. Some just turn themselves off to stop them from combusting.

My computer (laptop) does be pretty much stationary on an actual compter table. As far as i can tell the fans are working and seem to be on the side. Is their anything i can get that will prop it up or something to keep it off the table as the underside does get very hot.

Edited by Gnfnrhead

I do think it may be overheating as well. This happened to my friends laptop (gateway) and he needed to get the fans replaced. Go to your manufacturers website and search for a product manual or something of that nature. They should give you instructions there on how to "open it up" and see how it looks... You'd probably wanna unplug it and take the battery out (if its a laptop) before you do this ;)

When you open up the side panel of the PC, look and see if there is a build-up of dust. When too much dust gets on the fans and inside the ventilation holes, it will cause your PC to over heat. If there is a lot of dust, get a can of compressed air and blow it all out of there.

When you open up the side panel of the PC, look and see if there is a build-up of dust. When too much dust gets on the fans and inside the ventilation holes, it will cause your PC to over heat. If there is a lot of dust, get a can of compressed air and blow it all out of there.

;)

Just don't be tempted to use a vaccuum cleaner. You can damage things pretty badly doing that...

...I should know. :confused:

;)

Just don't be tempted to use a vaccuum cleaner. You can damage things pretty badly doing that...

Im glad you said that cause thats what i was thinking, would it work instead lol

;)

I'd recommend something like this 8035.jpg

I used it on my playstation, my computer, cd player ect. it fixed all of em (thats not the exact product I used, I don't know what it was called)

but yeah, don't use a vacuum cleaner :lol: