New York Dolls

arnold layne

are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! do i like them, do a bear shit in the woods?? they are it, i dont even know what it is, but its them, they are pure rock n roll, as far out and fucking offensive as you can get a) they looked like fags B) they acted like thugs c) they played sloppy and off kilter d) shut the fuck up and dont question the dolls. they are punk before anyone knew what the fuck it was, David Jo' said it best "we just wanted to bring rock n roll down to the 3 minute songs and put that little richard drag on top of it, thats what rock n roll was to us" PERFECT band. i cannot fuckin...cease praising these motherfuckers...that moment on that english show the old grey whistle test where the dude announces them and the Johnny Thunders is facing his back to the crowd and the guitar into for Jetboy (sublime riff, i could masturbate to that, ooh yeah!) and he spins around and David Johansen (later Buster Poindexter of Feelin Hot Hot Hot fame, but i'll try n not ruin the Dolls for ya :lol:) starts singin in that Mick Jaggeresque voice (someone who was goin to sign them once and pulled out at the last minute) THAT is fuckin rock n roll, lemme find that fuckin clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gq3m5wyG7Qw

they're like the stones only the threat is real, they look like a fuckin shambles as a band but they're soo fuckin tight, the kinda music that lifts u outta ur seat n kicks you in the ass. that first album? fuckin forget about it, you aint touchin on that, i dont give a fuck who you are, Personality Crisis, Vietnamese Baby, Jetboy, Lonely Planet Boy, its just GREAT, just fucking immense, its like...50s NY type subject, with the stones only taking the fag-ish look WAAAYYY too far and playing like its ur last day on earth, its just GREAT. Todd Rundgrens production on it was much maligned but i dont give a shit i think its infuckingcredible, you will not find an album like this for a long time to come, i think in 1977 when Nevermind The Bollocks came out it was Nick Kent who said the only albums that sound like ALL the promise of 70s rock n roll is the Dolls first album, Ig's Raw Power and Nevermind The Bollocks. i seriously cannot go on enough about this fucking band, Arthur Kane this HUGE, tall guy that looks like a cross between frankenstein and a ballerina with make up on (bass player), Sylvain and his little curly locked burlesque type look Jerry Nolan with his junkie dressed as a dandy thing, Johnny Thunders lookin like the Shangri La's muse, perfect band, their first drummer Billy Murcia died on their first tour so he was out the game before they released an album but he was pretty cool too, died from taking mandrex and champy and drownin in the tub. then that second album which everyone ranks, FUCK YOU!! Shadow Morton on production, how cool can ya get?? :):) and i dont give a shit, that albums kicks ass all up and down the fuckin block, Puss N Boots? killer riff, Who Are The Mystery Girls, riff is cool, i LOVE that little Dion-ish harmonising with the chicks in the background, and that cover of Stranded In The Jungle..

*David Jo' immitation*

Uh meanwhile..back in the states (dork :lol:)

Whoose Been Talkin, oh the list is fuckin endless, i even dig those old Red Patent Leather gigs where Talcum McLaren dressed em up as communists and they did those gigs doin covers of build me up buttercup etc, to put no finer point on it, i LOVE this fucking band, adore is a better word, i dont give a shit what anybody says, no one comes close to these motherfuckers, proto punk, punk, whatever, they were bigger than all that, better than anything, they were the Dolls!!!

C-5220NEW20YORK20DOLLS20Don20Steele.jpg

there was a big bidding war between record companies, promotional war of which band to push in the early 70s, which was to be the big rock n roll band between the Dolls and Aerosmith, alas Aerosmith was the more commercially/societally palletable alternative.

Edited by frankwhite

Massive fan...have been since the mid 70's.

Haven't we gabbed about this in other threads??

anyhoo...

People in North America...keep am eye on your local PBS station,in particular a show called Sound Stage.

New York Dolls taped a live episode of that show!

It aired last month but I missed it.The season of that show is over...so it WILL repeat!

just a heads up!

btw...the new album fucking rocks!

I'm a fan as well, though I still need to check out their new album. I'll be watching out for them on PBS like zint said. For those of you who get the HDNet station, they're going to be showing a live performance on Sunday, 11 p.m. EST. I think it's an appearance on the London Live show.