MyGNRForum.com's search feature

Budweiser

It's fucking pathetic - And I hear all the time people replying to obvious threads with "Fuckin noobs. Search before you post.", etc etc. Well, I've tried to use the search engine a few times to find stuff already posted and its fucking worthless.

And lets be fucking honest here - A search engine where the minimum letters allowed in a word is 4 letters on a forum whose main attraction iS AXL (3 letters long, in case you couldn't count.)

Yeah, it's a really shit system. I've tried a few searches and it never brought up what I was looking for, no matter how I worded it.

The vBulletin search function works really well. This one is just broken.

(Well, vBulletin is better in every sense, but y'know)

Edited by Ridin' the Nightrain

The directions are to search by KEYWORD or PHRASE.

Let me give you an example of how retarded it is.

I remember like a year ago trying to find pictures of Axl's tattoos. Instead of creating a redundant thread about posting his pictures (cause I know its been done before) -I figured i would just try to find that thread..

I tried searching by keyword: I entered: "Axl, tattoo, arm"

Oops. 67% of my keywords AREN'T ACCEPTABLE. So let's try phrase: "tattoo on Axl's arm"

That reduces the unacceptable amount of words to 50% of what I tried to search. Awesome - What improvement!

Well in order to get a search that would actually SEARCH instead of giving me an error because my words are too small. I searched for "Axl's tattoos" - - I will list the threads that appear on the first page of my search:

Pinned: Forum Members Photo Album

Even Newer Picture Thread part 4

Parents watch out

worlds worst tattoo artist

why people shouldnt let thier friends pick thier own nickname

Motley Crues best album?

New here:)

Axl rose feud guide

Neo-Nazis

bad ass pictures of bugs bunny

Check this gnr tatoo

Guns N' Roses: Are they finally ready to release a new album?

Tattoo designs

Britney Spears goes bald.

New Slash interview addresses band reunion question

1001 Ways to Know You Love GnR

Axl's singing on covers

the cross on AFD

john mayer

The last 6 years have just been a cash grab

Passing the time and helping at least one person out...

Oh nooo!!! No new news!?! Whatever shall I do?

VR New Album

Guns N Roses in a Secret Show publicity on myspace

In bold are the threads that at least seem like there is the slightest possibility of there being what Im looking for. All the rest - NO FUCKIGN CHANGE. Anyway, 3 out of the 25 listed first seem hopeful (but we all know there's nothing in there that Im looking for). Luckily for me, though, the search limited the amount of threads that appreaded to "the first 1000."

AWESOME!

you know - I knew that search tutorial existed somewhere!! I tried looking for it before I made this thread to see if i was using it incorrectly or something - but i couldn't find it.

I guess I should have searched for it, huh?? :rofl-lol:

you know - I knew that search tutorial existed somewhere!! I tried looking for it before I made this thread to see if i was using it incorrectly or something - but i couldn't find it.

I guess I should have searched for it, huh?? :rofl-lol:

Support -> Forum Features FAQ

I know that now after following your link from the post before. ;) Thanks for your help!

Well in order to get a search that would actually SEARCH instead of giving me an error because my words are too small. I searched for "Axl's tattoos" - - I will list the threads that appear on the first page of my search:

Pinned: Forum Members Photo Album

Even Newer Picture Thread part 4

Parents watch out

worlds worst tattoo artist

why people shouldnt let thier friends pick thier own nickname

Motley Crues best album?

New here:)

Axl rose feud guide

Neo-Nazis

bad ass pictures of bugs bunny

Check this gnr tatoo

Guns N' Roses: Are they finally ready to release a new album?

Tattoo designs

Britney Spears goes bald.

New Slash interview addresses band reunion question

1001 Ways to Know You Love GnR

Axl's singing on covers

the cross on AFD

john mayer

The last 6 years have just been a cash grab

Passing the time and helping at least one person out...

Oh nooo!!! No new news!?! Whatever shall I do?

VR New Album

Guns N Roses in a Secret Show publicity on myspace

:lol: That genuinely made me laugh. But I sympathise.

google is your friend.

axl's tattoos

The point of this thread is to not find Axl's tattoos - If you read carefully, you'll see that I was on that search over a year ago - The point is to show that MyGNRForum's search feature is worthless; Not Google's. I think we are all pretty aware of Google's competency... I mean, shit, there must be a reason it's the number 1 used search engine.

Thanks for your input anyway.

yep it's totally crap. It gets on my nerves Cuz It hasent worked once for me...I havent got the patience with things like that.

makes me laugh when people tell others to use the search option (usally the mods)...

what? that piece of crap :lol:

Doesn't that make you a hypocrite though? You're too lazy to figure it out so you let other people do it for you?

In a lot of cases "use the fucking search" is a very valid reply.

If I can find stuff, so can other people.

And I'm not going to put in effort when they're too lazy.

nah Im just a slow learner with that search thing I dont let other people do it for me. if theres something im searching for and i cant find it...I just give up. im only using it to re-read things ive found intresting in the past - for my own personal benefit.

and if I want to make a thread that I think might of been discussed befor....I dont. :lol:

google is your friend.

axl's tattoos

The point of this thread is to not find Axl's tattoos - If you read carefully, you'll see that I was on that search over a year ago - The point is to show that MyGNRForum's search feature is worthless; Not Google's. I think we are all pretty aware of Google's competency... I mean, shit, there must be a reason it's the number 1 used search engine.

Thanks for your input anyway.

i see a problem, i provide a solution.

you see a problem, you bitch.

carry on.

google is your friend.

axl's tattoos

Thanks for your input anyway. 1

i see a problem, i provide a solution.2

you see a problem, you bitch. 3

carry on.

1) I was serious when I said thanks anyway.

2) Your problem-radar must be a bit off then. (Once again) If you read carefully - You'll see that finding pictures of Axl's tattoo is NOT the problem. Ergo your solution is a year late. Thanks for your service.

3) The whole reason why this thread even exists is because I'm trying to solve the problem on my own. (In this case, the problem is I am searching for something on this site. Instead of wasting space, other members' time, etc by creating a new thread and asking for someone else to find the information for me -I do it myself, by trying to use the Search feature.) While trying to solve my own problem, I have come accross an inadequate feature on this site - Which affects everyone here who would use it - Giving me validation, in my opinion, to present this problem to the masses by creating a thread devoted to its incompetence.

In conclusion, when I see a problem, I don't bitch. I try to figure it out. Contrarily, when you feel bad about not being able to read the original post and realize your help isn't wanted, you act like a prick.

Carry on.

Edited by Budweiser

i dont think bitching about it would make it work any better though.

it has its limitations which youre already aware of and i agree, highlighting its incompetence may go some way in making people realise this and make the "use the fucking search" type of responses, invalid.

i provided a workaround, which works nth times better and requires less effort. maybe somebody in the future will have similiar problems and instead of posting their grievances, realise there is a solution. not the perfect solution but a solution nonetheless.

in other words,

you: there is a problem!

me: there is a solution!

everyone wins.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to use it to find the thread entitled ''A day in the life of Axl Rose on tour 2006.'' because it was a good read. I couldent search that because of the minimum 5 letter per word shit. I had to go throu page by page for over 70 until i found it. Not fun.