Getting rid of a virus

Tyler Drama

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've got a little question, I don't know anything about computers. :P I'm using a antivirus program called Norman. Is that good, or shall I get another one?

I've got a little question, I don't know anything about computers. :P I'm using a antivirus program called Norman. Is that good, or shall I get another one?

Have never heard of it - but I recommend NOD32. Give it a try!

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend changing to Ubuntu for anyone who has windows (its very user friendly like windows) and you get less chance of getting virus and a more stable system.

To prevent sites from installing/running stuff in your computer without your knowledge , use NoScript for Firefox and Adblock Plus.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722 - NoScript

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 - AdBlock

Those two addons will make your surfing a lost faster and safer.

• 2 weeks later...
I told ya people, if your PC is slow and it hasn't got Ad-aware, do the following:

Start > Run > msconfig [enter] and click startup tab.

Also remove any Norton products you have because that is currently the worlds biggest virus. No really.

Gotta tell you, I've run Norton for ten freaking years with almost no problems. I upgrade to a new version almost every year, two at the very most. And that was on four different computers (two Dells, one MDG, one HP). I don't get all these people who claim to have problems. They must be doing something wrong. And half the shit I see people talk about Norton (like on Amazon when they give reviews) are pretty stupid complaints, where either they are doing something wrong (like installing when they have other programs running) or there is an easy fix that they for some dumb reason just ignore or don't bother seeking out.

The new Norton Internet Security uses less system resources than prior versions, again, not that that's ever been a problem for me.

Maybe five years ago I decided to switch to McAfee, just to try something new. I couldn't get the damn thing to install properly, so I got my money back and went right back to Symantec. No problems. Now I won't even bother switching (although Kaspersky does sound really good, but hey if Norton has worked for me then I figure I should just roll with it).

We all have different experiences, I get that. I just find it hard to believe that so many people have problems, yet I never have despite the fact that I've run so many different versions on four different PCs. And professional reviews are almost always positive on Norton's ability to do it's job. It certainly gets better scores more consistently than any other brand, bar none.

Edited by KBear

I recommend getting a Mac. :P

But when I was using Windows, I used AdAware, Spybot: Search and Destroy, and a few other little things I can't remember anymore. :unsure:

Edit:

For slow startup, I ran msconfig and unchecked almost everything. :unsure:

Edited by Rebel Yell

Spy Sweeper by Webroot is very well regarded. Probably the top anti-spyware program. Not free though, it's about $30 for a year.

Ad-Aware just launched a new version (2007). I'd hold off on downloading it though. On the Lavasoft forum a lot of people are complaining of bugs and accusing Lavasoft of launching the new version too early.