Getting rid of a virus

Tyler Drama

Download Ad-Aware, grab the updates for it when prompted and run a smart scan.

If that fails to work, run Spybot Search and Destroy, tick all the updates and do the same thing.

If that fails, download the trial version of NOD32, update it, then run a scan (it also picks up adware executables).

If all those fail, then download HijackThis and delete any appropriate entries, although this can fuck your system up if you don't know what you are deleting.

Describe the symptoms to us?

Well, whatever your homepage is, it changes it to that link. And if you try to go the site that was originally your home page it just re-directs you. It's the site you see every time you click on Internet Explorer. It comes up with some shit about downloadin' and you click "OK" or "Cancel"...

It's just really annoying... and it's a virus.

You should find the name of the spyware, look it up and find a guide to remove it manually - this way you'll be guaranteed that it is removed if it is that sort who can re-install itself.

All that will do is tell you to go to add/remove programs and do it there, which these viruses forbid access. Mango hs it right, allthough the chances are Ad-aware se personal will take care of it itself.

A8R

You should find the name of the spyware, look it up and find a guide to remove it manually - this way you'll be guaranteed that it is removed if it is that sort who can re-install itself.

All that will do is tell you to go to add/remove programs and do it there, which these viruses forbid access. Mango hs it right, allthough the chances are Ad-aware se personal will take care of it itself.

A8R

No, they tell you to delete items in the registry and certain .dll files, which can potentially harm your computer, if not done right, but it will delete the virus permanently.

save a new thread. whats best for clearing spyware/adware. ony my laptop has become so slow on start up. you can put it on then ke a cup of coffee then come back.

Its all down in this thread :P If its really that slow then you need to cut the crap that loads on startup by going Start > Run > msconfig [enter]

save a new thread. whats best for clearing spyware/adware. ony my laptop has become so slow on start up. you can put it on then ke a cup of coffee then come back.

My computer is also extremely slow on start-up. So, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

My computer is also extremely slow on start-up. So, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Run a virus and spyware scan and delete your cookies. Here you can find some anti-spyware software.http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?t...re&tag=srch

Seriously, if anyone is having major spyware/virus/speed problems, then I strongly recommend you backup and re-format your harddrive. While this will take a few hours, your computer will run like it did when it was new.

If your computer is more than a year or two old and you have a lot of stuff on it, then this is something you should really look into. Having a clean computer is awesome. :shades:

re-format your harddrive.

I would if I knew how to. :cry: (that and I dont want to lose loadsa stuff)

The bastard runs slow as shit but nuffin shows up when I check for viruses or spyware...

Get a friend that knows how to?

Well mango just explained..but I dunno if I want to..lots of stuff I dont wanna lose. I'll just delete all the shit I dont use/need.

re-format your harddrive.

I would if I knew how to. :cry: (that and I dont want to lose loadsa stuff)

The bastard runs slow as shit but nuffin shows up when I check for viruses or spyware...

Get a friend that knows how to?

Well mango just explained..but I dunno if I want to..lots of stuff I dont wanna lose. I'll just delete all the shit I dont use/need.

Depends what stuff you don't want to lose. If its just music, then you could get a pendrive with good memory on it, then transfer the stuff onto that before you backup your computer.

I told ya people, if your PC is slow and it hasn't got Ad-aware, do the following:

Start > Run > msconfig [enter] and click startup tab.

Also remove any Norton products you have because that is currently the worlds biggest virus. No really.

I told ya people, if your PC is slow and it hasn't got Ad-aware, do the following:

Start > Run > msconfig [enter] and click startup tab.

Also remove any Norton products you have because that is currently the worlds biggest virus. No really.

whAt you meAn is Norton suck and i agree

im useing spyware doctor with antivirus

www.pctools.com

Edited by thomase