Happy Birthday Sidney

frankwhite

I've got Bollocks and I have listened to it many times. The only thing I learned was to never trust any hype. :)

i agree, dont believe the hype, but dont also ignore that Nevermind The Bollocks transformed the history of rock n roll and its direction, for better or for worse.

LEGEND! he was in a kickass band too. he may not of had talent but he did define punk! and like it or not he influenced (is still influencing) many many people. anyone see the movie "sid and nancy"? i thought it sucked :P

if you listen to the american gigs Sex Pistols you can hear some VERY poor bass playing going on.

I love the pistols, don't get me wrong. The bottom line is Sid was a beginner for most of his career, and wasn't very good. It's ok. Being a member of a great band and being an influential musician are not mutually exclusive to being a GOOD musician. I love the Pistols, really I do, but Sid was a pretty shitty bassist.

Guest knerken
I've got Bollocks and I have listened to it many times. The only thing I learned was to never trust any hype. :)

i agree, dont believe the hype, but dont also ignore that Nevermind The Bollocks transformed the history of rock n roll and its direction, for better or for worse.

Of course. :)

Edited by knerken

if you listen to the american gigs Sex Pistols you can hear some VERY poor bass playing going on.

I love the pistols, don't get me wrong. The bottom line is Sid was a beginner for most of his career, and wasn't very good. It's ok. Being a member of a great band and being an influential musician are not mutually exclusive to being a GOOD musician. I love the Pistols, really I do, but Sid was a pretty shitty bassist.

i totally agree, the reason i said you can hear some very poor bass playing on the american gigs is because popular opinion is that he was unplugged the whole time there, which he wasnt. agreed totally, he was an AWFUL bass player but be fair, we're judging the guy by pro-standards and he'd only been learning a few months. Sid was a begginer for ALL of his career :lol:

There is a quote by Lemmy I think it was something like.(Im totally paraprashing here I cant remember it exactly)

Sid wanted to become a better player so he walked up to Lemmy and said I can't play bass and Lemmy looked him right in the eye and said I know :lol:

Anyways happy birthday

There is a quote by Lemmy I think it was something like.(Im totally paraprashing here I cant remember it exactly)

Sid wanted to become a better player so he walked up to Lemmy and said I can't play bass and Lemmy looked him right in the eye and said I know :lol:

Anyways happy birthday

thats true too :lol: Rotten and Vicious used to sell speed to Lemmy, little known fact.

Anyways happy birthday

thats true too :lol: Rotten and Vicious used to sell speed to Lemmy, little known fact.

I didnt know that, now I'll have something to tell my mom when she asks "If I learned anything new today."

Sid wasn't learning

he wasn't even trying to learn

he's the stu sutcliffe of punk rock, and idk why he's so idolized

Steve Jones and Paul Cook state that when sid first joined the band was the best time because he was REALLY trying.

i totally agree, the reason i said you can hear some very poor bass playing on the american gigs is because popular opinion is that he was unplugged the whole time there, which he wasnt. agreed totally, he was an AWFUL bass player but be fair, we're judging the guy by pro-standards and he'd only been learning a few months. Sid was a begginer for ALL of his career :lol:

True, but Sid was touring the world. Sid was getting paid. Isn't judging him by sub-pro standards a disservice to the level he was performing at? If I was touring England, I would want to be judged as a pro no matter how long I'd been playing for.

any junkie can fuck around and wear leather and studs. he wasn't a very good bassist at all.

Thats the point.. of course he was a terrible bassist.

He didn't need to be good at it. He was and always will be a true god off punk!