Be My Baby-The Ronettes

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

This track has often been pointed to as the defining example of Phil Spector's "wall of sound" production technique, and tops many all-time singles lists.

What do you think of the production, and the "wall of sound" concept in general? Is this track all it's made out to be? I enjoy it myself.

it definitely had it's place. it's not very dynamic, musically. it's great for vocal oriented tracks, but the music is compressed to high hell. love this particular song!!

i wonder if he threatened to shoot her if she didn't nail the vocal part? :tongue2::rofl-lol:

Her vocals actually strike me as being quite ordinary. She does a fine job, but it's no knockout performance or anything of the like. This is one of the reasons that I wonder about what makes this song so good.

What makes this song so powerful is the emotions evoked.

I've mentioned this before,but there is a documentary that plays at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (not sure if it still plays,I haven't been there in a while).In the docu,Iggy Pop refers to it as his all time favourite song,and to this day it can make him cry every time Ronnie starts to sing.He almost choked up just talking about it.

It's really a beautiful song and deserving of any/all accolades.

Regardless of what the "wall of sound" really amounts to,the song is an emotional powerhouse.

One of my favs of the era.