Best vocalist of the current decade ('00s)?

neatd99

I'm talking about artist that started in 2000 or after. So vocalists like Steven Tyler don't count because even though he's still singining, he started his career long before 2000.

I think we should all post some youtube videos of live performances of some of our favorite contemporary singers. You can post videos from any genre, just try to make sure they are live videos. I believe the best way to gauge a singer's talent is to listen to them live.

I think Michael Bublé is talented. He does a lot of jazz covers and reminds me of Frank Sinatra. Here are some vids I found on youtube:

Everything (original song)

He has a bunch of covers of well known songs, like Moondance, Come Fly With Me, Fever, and even Elvis's/Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I think he has a great voice, but he doesn't have a lot of original songs.

I think in general, this decade sucks when it comes to live vocalists. It seems that most of the popular singers (including rock singers) lip sync to pre-recorded vocals.

Another good contemporary live singer, in my opinion at least, is Kelly Clarkson. Her songs are probably aimed towards the pre-teen audience, but she definitely has a good voice.

Here are some live vids from her VH1 session:

Because of You

Since You Been Gone

And of course,

Post your own videos, but make sure they are live!

Edited by neatd99

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only really hauntingly beautiful new voice I can think of at this very moment is Elan's, although I'm sure there are more. I'm just experiencing a slightly hungover version of Alzheimer's right now. Click.

I was just about to post the same. She has so much emotion in her voice.

Axl, Baz and Vince are the best singers around now rock3

I would disagree heavily with the last one.

As much as I love Vince - his voice has lost it and he can't keep up with the music. Love the man, but he's getting older.

Axl's is the best shape it's ever been, and Baz is as awesome as ever - I just can't justify the last.

Axl's is the best shape it's ever been? Whaaa? :mellow:

Vocally, yes - I didn't think we were talking about being 20...

Now, he has a vocal coach, the "helium" voice is gone, and he's got the rasp - and can scream awesomely.

Not that I minded any other time - but his voice is a lot stronger now, and probably in the best condition it's been.

Anyway I think neatd99 was referring to singers who are popular now (i.e. in their prime) rather than those popular 20 years ago -_-

One might argue that many of these singers are still in their prime... -_-

As much as I love Vince - his voice has lost it and he can't keep up with the music. Love the man, but he's getting older.

Axl's is the best shape it's ever been, and Baz is as awesome as ever - I just can't justify the last.

IMO, Vince sounded just fantastick when I saw him live rock3

better than Bruse Dickinson, by fare

Axl's is the best shape it's ever been? Whaaa? :mellow:

Vocally, yes - I didn't think we were talking about being 20...

Now, he has a vocal coach, the "helium" voice is gone, and he's got the rasp - and can scream awesomely.

Not that I minded any other time - but his voice is a lot stronger now, and probably in the best condition it's been.

OK, admittedly for his age and through vocal training to get rid of the helium voice his voice is very good - but best shape it's ever been tends to suggests his voice is better than it ever has been, which I would have to disagree with. But yes, for his age it's a very good voice now.

Anyway I think neatd99 was referring to singers who are popular now (i.e. in their prime) rather than those popular 20 years ago -_-

One might argue that many of these singers are still in their prime... -_-

True, true. Although I'd have to disagree there :P

We digress...

Edited by LCG

IMO, Vince sounded just fantastick when I saw him live rock3

better than Bruse Dickinson, by fare

Chris, my favourite recent Crue performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOApFs494CA

He can't keep up and lets the crowd sing for him. I love the guy, but you can't call that strong.

I don't ever recall Bruce having a decent voice... :huh:

OK, admittedly for his age and through vocal training to get rid of the helium voice his voice is very good - but best shape it's ever been tends to suggests his voice is better than it ever has been, which I would have to disagree with. But yes, for his age it's a very good voice now.

I suppose - but it's certainly better than the latter half of 1992/1993, and parts of 1991. He's got more control, and this probably hurts him less too. Sounds pretty similar to him back in the day.

True, true. Although I'd have to disagree there

Fair play man, fair play ;)