Jimi Hendrix

Axl_morris

Yeah, no doubt the most influential guitarist of all time, and no-one was doing what he was at the time, but meh, listening to him doesn't do that much for me nowadays. There have been much better guitarists in the 36(?) years since his death. He has been put on a pedestal due to his death.

not really dude, however long he'd've lived, even if he'd gone totally downhill after his achievements prior to that would still have been as good as groundbreaking as cool as they are/were. i do agree that "better" (whatever that word means) guitarists have come since. i mean certainly in terms of range, bucket has proved he's better.

Oh, I don't mean that his death makes his contributions to music any less important. Whether he'd have died or not, he'd still be a groundbreaking musician. I just think that his talents and achievements are sometimes blown out of proportion because of his death. It happens with every musician; Cobain, Sid Vicious, etc.

Yeah, no doubt the most influential guitarist of all time, and no-one was doing what he was at the time, but meh, listening to him doesn't do that much for me nowadays. There have been much better guitarists in the 36(?) years since his death. He has been put on a pedestal due to his death.

Better guitarists? Who? In terms of technique, perhaps some virtuosos, but no way as groundbreaking and passionate as Hendrix. That guy was so way ahead of his time.

Better guitarists? Who? In terms of technique, perhaps some virtuosos, but no way as groundbreaking and passionate as Hendrix. That guy was so way ahead of his time.

yeah, in terms of technique and range, bucket is better but then you have to take into account that Hendrix laid a lot of the groundwork for people like bucket to build on. he's not as groundbreaking, agreed :)

yeah, in terms of technique and range, bucket is better but then you have to take into account that Hendrix laid a lot of the groundwork for people like bucket to build on. he's not as groundbreaking, agreed :)

Jimi's almost as good at Guitar as Ricky Hatton is at boxing!

Jimi's almost as good at Guitar as Ricky Hatton is at boxing!

i wouldnt call Jimi hendrix style-less and 2 dimensional :P:lol: Jimi's more like the muhammad ali of guitar playing B)

Edited by ffrankwhite

i totally agree with that he was a head of his time

Well better is subjective of course, there's no point getting into an argument about that. Although if you want my opinion, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, David Gilmour, Brian May and several others are/were better than Hendrix.

Well better is subjective of course, there's no point getting into an argument about that. Although if you want my opinion, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, David Gilmour, Brian May and several others are/were better than Hendrix.

Better in what terms? Technique? Some of them, perhaps. Influence? Passion? No.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

It's not even about technique, or influence, or even passion. No one could play the guitar like Jimi Hendrix. Nothing will ever equal the kind of phrasing, the perfection of something like "All Along the Watchtower". Speed and proficiency and the like mean nothing, it's about the notes and the spaces between them.

He was the messiah of pre-war blues. He brought the country blues styles up to Rock N' Roll speed, and then added some of his own, very unique magic. I don't consider Jimi Hendrix to be a rock artist. He dabbled in pop quite a bit, but songs like "Purple Haze", "Manic Depression", and so many others are simply his own blues.

Better in what terms? Technique? Some of them, perhaps. Influence? Passion? No.

Not technique, everyone knows that judging a guitarist on technique is stupid. Influence doesn't mean someone is a good guitarist, Ace Frehley probably influenced a lot more people than Kevin Shields, doesn't make him better does it? As for passion, that's a very ambiguous term. Different pieces evoke different passions with different people, how does one song have more passion than another? And how is passion a criterion for assessing how good a guitarist is? Eddie Van Halen's work isn't particularly moving or soulful but that doesn't mean he's not a great guitarist.

The mark of a good guitarist is if they can write good riffs and solos, right? Personally, I prefer the work of Rhoads, Gilmour etc. to Hendrix. I'm sorry for disagreeing with you.

The mark of a good guitarist is if they can write good riffs and solos, right?

What, Hendrix didn't write good riffs and solos? What about Voodo Chile (Slight Return), Machine Gun, Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Little Wing, Red House? They've got all the ingredients of good riffs and solos.

What, Hendrix didn't write good riffs and solos? What about Voodo Chile (Slight Return), Machine Gun, Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Little Wing, Red House? They've got all the ingredients of good riffs and solos.

To me, Hendrix was the best at playing chordish rhythm leads like in Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand. It wasn't necessarily rhythm because he would add licks and slurs to his chords to make it sounds like lead soloing. it was just a good understanding of rhythm and music in general. he didn't have to play a solo; his overall playing was great.

To me, Hendrix was the best at playing chordish rhythm leads like in Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand. It wasn't necessarily rhythm because he would add licks and slurs to his chords to make it sounds like lead soloing. it was just a good understanding of rhythm and music in general. he didn't have to play a solo; his overall playing was great.

spot on!! cuz he was so versed in rhythm playing the sideman on the chitlin circuit for so long.

The mark of a good guitarist is if they can write good riffs and solos, right? Personally, I prefer the work of Rhoads, Gilmour etc. to Hendrix. I'm sorry for disagreeing with you.

Being a good guitarist doesn't have shit to do with writing, that's another department entirely. If you think Hendrix or even Gilmour wrote out all of their solos, you'd be playing the fool.

I've never said Hendrix wasn't great, just that I prefer others.

Being a good guitarist doesn't have shit to do with writing, that's another department entirely. If you think Hendrix or even Gilmour wrote out all of their solos, you'd be playing the fool.

Perhaps write wasn't the correct word. Create would probably be more apt. But it's not true that being a good guitarist has nothing to do with writing. It's naive to believe that Gilmour's and Hendrix's solos were completely improvised. Usually what happens is they figure out a basic pattern and a couple of licks, and improvise over that structure.

Edited by sabre

It's not even about technique, or influence, or even passion. No one could play the guitar like Jimi Hendrix. Nothing will ever equal the kind of phrasing, the perfection of something like "All Along the Watchtower". Speed and proficiency and the like mean nothing, it's about the notes and the spaces between them.

He was the messiah of pre-war blues. He brought the country blues styles up to Rock N' Roll speed, and then added some of his own, very unique magic. I don't consider Jimi Hendrix to be a rock artist. He dabbled in pop quite a bit, but songs like "Purple Haze", "Manic Depression", and so many others are simply his own blues.

YEAH case closed.

I've never said Hendrix wasn't great, just that I prefer others.

Perhaps write wasn't the correct word. Create would probably be more apt. But it's not true that being a good guitarist has nothing to do with writing. It's naive to believe that Gilmour's and Hendrix's solos were completely improvised. Usually what happens is they figure out a basic pattern and a couple of licks, and improvise over that structure.

Agreed, an absolute on either end would be incorrect.

Needless to say, David Gilmour or Randy Rhoads' works could very well move you more than Hendrix's. Each guitarist is an individual, and so are you and I, so there's always going to be someone more appealing to your tastes.