Jimi Hendrix

Axl_morris

There is SO much to talk about and has been talked about Hendrix. For me, time to time I get into a Hendrix spell, it's just he looks like a god on guitar when you see his woodstock performance. He died at something like 29, so it's not as if he had a lifetime to get to his skill.

People think he's over-rated, but, he just can't be, sings and plays like he isn't even trying. Recorded tonnes of music in his, what, 3 or 4 years of recording music.

Not much of a singer though, but that's not what Hendrix was known for.

Opinions on him?

Yeah, I agree. Hendrix, in my opinion, is in no way overrated. After watching performances such as Woodstock, he just leaves you in awe. Personally, I like his voice, and I think it suits his music. He died age 27, by the way; another member of the 27 club.

Anyone know where I can get information on in his time in as para?

It's just strange how no one has ever really came close to hendrix, people say Eric Clapton, but, I still think Hendrix is a league a head. It's just like a freak of nature how someone can be so coordinated with a guitar in such little time.

The top 3 performances (that are released - as I've only heard live released)

1). Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Woodstock

2). All Along The Watchtower - Ilse of White

3). Them Changes (Band of Gypsys) - Somewhere in 1970.

Edited by Axl_morris

It is not about his technical skills or his ability to sing. What draws me to his music is how parallel he is with it; his guitar is part of him. Jimi Hendrix is one of those scarce natural talents. No one will be able to live up to his playing and emotional connection with music. Hendrix's music will live on for eternity.

John Mayer on Jimi Hendrix:

"Hendrix has the allure of the tragic figure: We all wish we were genius enough to die before we're twenty-eight. People want to paint him as this lonely, shy figure who managed to let himself open up on the stage and play straight colors through the crowd. There's something heroic about it, but there's nothing human about it. Everybody is so caught up in the otherworldliness of Jimi Hendrix. I prefer to think about his human side. He was a man who had a Social Security number, not an alien. The merchandising companies made the Space God. They put Jimi Hendrix's face on a tie-dyed T-shirt, and somehow that's what he became. But when I listen to Hendrix, I just hear a man, and that's when it's most beautiful -- when you remember that another human being was capable of what he achieved. I will always try to attain that kind of control on the guitar: Hendrix's playing was sloppy, but it was controlled. Who I am as a guitarist is defined by my failure to become Jimi Hendrix. And that's who a lot of people have become. However far you stop on your climb to be like him, that's who you are."

Article It's a good read.

Edited by swlabr

I love how he was just an unknown guy, and he went up to jam with Clapton, and played rings around him. At a time, when Clapton was known as the best guitarist ever. Theres just so many little things that made him a great musician, not guitarist but musician. Like playing Sgt Peppers so soon after the album was released. One of a kind.

Love Hendrix.

And to think he use to think of his lyric ability as so- so. He has colorful language, and his voice is a smooth tone. Plus ya gotta love his style and musicianship :shades:

I read a bio on him about a month ago and it was pretty good, called "Room full of Mirrors."

Edited by Destiny

Definetly one of the best musicians that has ever lived. I can't get enough of Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland lately.

Agreed. Those two albums and Are You Experienced are all incredible. What a tragedy he died so young. I think Pete Townsend made a comment after first hearing him play that he was going to give up playing the guitar.

Greatest rock musician of all time. "I used to live in a room full of mirrors, all I could see was me, well I take my spirit and smash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see".

Buckethead does a very good Jimi Hendix. I wish Bucket would come back to GnR.

No way over rated, people consider him over rated from today's stand point, but if you look back, no one was doing anything close to what he was back then. He revolutionised the way the guitar was played and there's been nothing but rip off's ever since

As a guitarist, I just can't believe someone could play like Jimi Hendrix did. His way of accompanying the songs was incredible, and his solos were incredible. It's just unbelievable. Hendrix is so good I can't explain it.

When I hear Voodoo Lounge, I get really excited. And the solos of All Along The Watchtower are spectacular.

Edited by Yamisonic

Probably the greatest musician ever, he coverd it all. He was emotional, fun, raw, experimental, traditional, and he continues to influence generations upon generations of guitarists.

What he said.

Hendrix! rock4

what they said rock2 but does anyone know where he is buried.is it in the states or over seas somewhere

Probably the greatest musician ever, he coverd it all. He was emotional, fun, raw, experimental, traditional, and he continues to influence generations upon generations of guitarists.

What he said.

Hendrix! rock4

what they said rock2 but does anyone know where he is buried.is it in the states or over seas somewhere

seattle i think...guessing. thats where he was from.

And to think people compare Jack White to him, come on Jack White!!! What a fucking joke.

funny you should say that, i read someone compare him and Thurston Moore...the more i think about it the more apt it is.

I have no idea who Thurston Moore is but I guess they might be alike, but Hendrix just no.

And to think people compare Jack White to him, come on Jack White!!! What a fucking joke.

funny you should say that, i read someone compare him and Thurston Moore...the more i think about it the more apt it is.

I have no idea who Thurston Moore is but I guess they might be alike, but Hendrix just no.

i wouldnt say they're alike in terms of talent in the typical sense but, in terms of making a guitar sound like no one else before them i'd say their places in rock n roll are comparable dude :) its things like that that inform a genre and push music forward as an art.

EDIT: sorry, first post werent clear i meant compared to hendrix.

Edited by ffrankwhite

Yeah, no doubt the most influential guitarist of all time, and no-one was doing what he was at the time, but meh, listening to him doesn't do that much for me nowadays. There have been much better guitarists in the 36(?) years since his death. He has been put on a pedestal due to his death.

Yeah, no doubt the most influential guitarist of all time, and no-one was doing what he was at the time, but meh, listening to him doesn't do that much for me nowadays. There have been much better guitarists in the 36(?) years since his death. He has been put on a pedestal due to his death.

not really dude, however long he'd've lived, even if he'd gone totally downhill after his achievements prior to that would still have been as good as groundbreaking as cool as they are/were. i do agree that "better" (whatever that word means) guitarists have come since. i mean certainly in terms of range, bucket has proved he's better.