The New Amp Settings Thread

I was looking through some (very) old threads on this board, and saw an amp settings thread with only two posts. I tried to revive it, but realized it was archived so I couldn't reply. So without further adieu: the new unofficial MyGNR Amp Settings thread:

1959 Superlead (inputs bridged):

Vol. II: 7-8ish

Vol. I: 8-9ish

Treble: 6ish

Middle:8ish

Bass: 7ish

Presence: 8ish

No pedals, except for a Crybaby Classic Wah.

That's pretty much my go to template, anything else I need to do (fatten up, clean up, etc.) can be done via pick-up switching and the Vol/Tone knobs on the guitar. I use just about the same settings on my Peavey Classic, but those knobs go to 12 instead of 10.

Edited by OmarBradley

I've used pretty well the same settings on every amp I've ever had. Generally, I've only had to tweak a little here and there but based on my guitar choices and picking attack this is what works for me - everything at 6. Sometimes I'll adjust gain or presence either more or less depending on what I'm doing, but I rarely change my basic EQ (Bass, Mid, and Treble). It all started back when I began playing guitar and was huge into AC/DC. I read in an interview that Angus always starts with everything at half, so I decided to push it a little bit more.

• Like 1

I have a Marshall DSL 100h through a 1960A cab. EQ at 7 bass, 7 middle, and 4.5ish treble. Presence 8ish. I battle with myself nearly every time I turn the amp on where to keep the resonance. A lot of the time it depends on the room and where I'm playing.

On the lead channel gain at 6.5, great rock tone. However I find that on rhythm stuff, I like to have the clean/classic crunch channel with the crunch on and gain to 10. Good distorted rhythm while maintain clarity when chords are struck. Then for leads I'll click the channel changer to the lead channel, essentially making it it's own boost pedal in a way.

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to mess around with the settings a bit, but usually I set the bass to 5 or 6, mids to 10, and treble to 10. Gain is usually a 6 or so. I can get a pretty decent Slash tone with that, but sometimes I move the treble anywhere from 6 to 8 when I find the high end is too much. Of course I play through a pedal though, so it won't be exact because I don't think he used any distortion pedals on the GN'R albums. I use only one pedal, which is a Boss Metalzone. I have had that set on the same settings for about 10 years. But I find that on my Les Pauls, when I switch to the neck pickup, the notes sound so much better and clearer for lead, but for rhythm I switch to bridge pickup. Sometimes I play lead with the bridge pickups though. Actually I use that most of the time if it's a fast lead, but for slower I use the neck. I don't know, guess it's all up to personal preference.

I tend to mess around with the settings a bit, but usually I set the bass to 5 or 6, mids to 10, and treble to 10. Gain is usually a 6 or so. I can get a pretty decent Slash tone with that, but sometimes I move the treble anywhere from 6 to 8 when I find the high end is too much. Of course I play through a pedal though, so it won't be exact because I don't think he used any distortion pedals on the GN'R albums. I use only one pedal, which is a Boss Metalzone. I have had that set on the same settings for about 10 years. But I find that on my Les Pauls, when I switch to the neck pickup, the notes sound so much better and clearer for lead, but for rhythm I switch to bridge pickup. Sometimes I play lead with the bridge pickups though. Actually I use that most of the time if it's a fast lead, but for slower I use the neck. I don't know, guess it's all up to personal preference.

You mentioned all relevant information for this thread.................. except what amp you're talking about :lol:. Sounds like a cool set up though, I know what you mean, depending on the part and the context, lead can sometimes sound better on the neck pick up.

Marshall DSL 100h

Lead channel

Bass 7

Mid 7

Treble 4.5

Gain 6ish

Gives a nice slash like lead

On the crunch/clean channel, typically stay on the crunch as adjust clean tones with the volume knobs in the guitar. Have the gain at 10. Good for non lead rock playing. In essence with this set up I sort of use the channel changing pedal as a boost in itself.

Typical "scooped" metal tone:

Treble: 7ish

Mid: 2

Bass: 9

Pre Gain: 2

Post Gain: 4 ( just enough for that grainy breakup sound.

That works great for AiC and Metal songs, but it sucks for Hard rock songs and Gn'R as well (except for Better), So when playing this kind of stuff I usually put mid at 7 and Bass at 7 as well. Treble goes to 6.

Anyone have a setup for a more Izzy-like sound? I've got a Fender guitar amp that got passed down to me from a cousin and I absolutely hate it.

Maybe. I'm pretty sure Izzy used a JCM 800, but I could be wrong. What Fender amp is it, what guitar are you using, what (if any) pedals do you have?

Anyone have a setup for a more Izzy-like sound? I've got a Fender guitar amp that got passed down to me from a cousin and I absolutely hate it.

Maybe. I'm pretty sure Izzy used a JCM 800, but I could be wrong. What Fender amp is it, what guitar are you using, what (if any) pedals do you have?

Fender Frontman, Epiphone Les Paul, no pedals but I'm looking into getting some

I think Izzy favored amps with british tubes like the EL 34, which you can find in brands like Marshall Hiwatt and even american ones.

As for your pedals: I think you should look for a delay, chorus and an transparent overdrive, something that will just push your amp's natural distortion, instead of coloring it.

Edited by Chewbacca

Some preliminary internet research I just did does indeed confirm Izzy used a JCM 800 for a while in Guns. Some sources are saying a Boogie Mark III as well, I don't know, I'm also unsure of what tubes would have been in the MB. The JCM 800 definitely had EL34's though, as Chewie said. They way I think of Izzy's tone is similar to Slash's, but with a bit less gain and grit - more composed and rounded out as opposed to cutting and sharp. The Frontman is a solid state amp, so you'll probably have trouble decently replicating any sound that a tube amp produced, but you can certainly try. As far as amp settings, I'd try something like Gain 7ish, Vol 6-7ish, Bass 8ish, Treble 6ish? Don't really know, as much as people love to recommend things like this, you really need to be infront of an amp or have played that amp to know. I know basically nothing about pedals, maybe someone else here can suggest something.

My ultimate adivce though would be, if you want GNR/Izzy tone, get a decent tube amp. Fender and Peavey make some good ones on the cheaper side. I've never liked any Orange I've played, but people love the Tiny Terror. Marshall has a few decent cheaper options, the Slash sig. combo gets great reviews, even from non-Slash fans.

Edited by OmarBradley