Penny Dreadful

I didn't like the look of the previews or the idea behind the show, but I guess if you're into that stuff it might be good. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are incentives to watch, but I probably won't end up checking it out.

Edited by OmarBradley

Probably saw it many years ago if it's the original, gotta say watching that, I jumped & gasped when that spider appeared. Might give this a watch to see if it's a remake. Love horror/thriller but not the gory ones - the spooky ones that make you jump & tense but there's not much around that does that to me anymore sadly.

Probably saw it many years ago if it's the original, gotta say watching that, I jumped & gasped when that spider appeared. Might give this a watch to see if it's a remake. Love horror/thriller but not the gory ones - the spooky ones that make you jump & tense but there's not much around that does that to me anymore sadly.

I don't think it's a remake, at least not as far as I know. I don't know if there is some film/show called like that too but... maybe you're confusing it with Pennywise, the clown from "It"?

I am really into this kind of stuff as long as it's well made. When I first read the plot it looked a bit messy to me and I just found out the ffirst three epsiodes were already broadcasted so I am trusting MyGNR to provide me the first impressions of the show.

Edited by Thin White Duke

I don't think it's a remake, at least not as far as I know. I don't know if there is some film/show called like that too but... maybe you're confusing it with Pennywise, the clown from "It"?

I am really into this kind of stuff as long as it's well made. When I first read the plot it looked a bit messy to me and I just found out the ffirst three epsiodes were already broadcasted so I am trusting MyGNR to provide me the first impressions of the show.

No definitely not confusing it with that clown that put me off clowns for ever :o:scared:

There was a movie called Penny Dreadful which was in 2006 - that may be what I was thinking of & looking at the trailer of the movie I reckon I might watch that instead.

Is this a tv series you're talking about? If it's any good & not too confusing I'd love to watch it, scary with a good story line is what I need.

Might check it out online - gave up twice on True Detective, just couldn't get into it. This might be more 'me'.

Have a look at the trailer for the movie though, you might like the movie too. :popcorn:

it has started kinda slow, imo, but it feels like something cool is about to happen.

So far it has fallen short of my expectations, but can't say it is a bad show.

Eva Green is great, she's perfect for the show with her evil/dangerous look.

No definitely not confusing it with that clown that put me off clowns for ever :o:scared:

There was a movie called Penny Dreadful which was in 2006 - that may be what I was thinking of & looking at the trailer of the movie I reckon I might watch that instead.

Is this a tv series you're talking about? If it's any good & not too confusing I'd love to watch it, scary with a good story line is what I need.

Might check it out online - gave up twice on True Detective, just couldn't get into it. This might be more 'me'.

Have a look at the trailer for the movie though, you might like the movie too. :popcorn:

Oh, I think I misread your previous post. :lol: Yeah, this is a new TV series. They have been talking about it for a while now and I was looking forward to it.

Btw, I googled that film and I think I will give it a try. I love horror stories too much.

I watched the first shows, don't remember how many so far, but it is so boring.

I don't like the whole Frankenstein storyline. yeah, he wants a wife, what a shock!

Dorian Gray is very pretty and we know his story with the portrait . I don't like Billie's part as the prostitute with a lung infection. Her Irish accent is so bad half the time I don't understand what she is saying.

The whole Mina thing with Dracula, who cares.

I think Eva Green's part is weird. I do like Josh Hartnett, but even showing his butt didn't save this show for me.

I'm done. not bothering to watch it anymore.

I'm watching Salem instead. That show about witches in Salem in the 1600's is really good.

I gave Penny Dreadful one more try last night.

I guess Dorian Gray is bi along with Josh Harnette's character.

Dracula or the master is an ugly bald freak. So much for the handsome sexy Dracula.

Still can't understand Billie Piper's character all that well. Her Irish accent is just terrible.

Anyway, everyone has a secret or two on this show and who knows if we will find out anything.

Dorian looked at his huge portrait last night, but we didn't see it. For someone who has looks and money, he seems to be always bored. Maybe he should destroy his portrait and kill himself. lol

Anyway, last night wasn't bad, but I'm still not totally sold on this show.

Oh, I think I misread your previous post. :lol: Yeah, this is a new TV series. They have been talking about it for a while now and I was looking forward to it.

Btw, I googled that film and I think I will give it a try. I love horror stories too much.

I watched it on youtube but it's in 9 parts, I had seen it before & it's ok. I think you'll like it & might find some parts a bit tense when you know something is going to happen but don't know what & where from - interesting ending too. If you watch the movie I'd be interested to know what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

Penny Dreadful ended it's first season last night. Still didn't get to see Dorian Gray's portrait, but finding out Josh Hartnett is a werewolf was awesome! I didn't see that coming.

Dr. Frankenstein was going to make a mate for his monster and Vanessa was in church deciding if she wanted to get rid or her demon and be normal?

Mina was a vampire so her dad had to kill her. They also killed the ugly naked bald vampire, but I don't think he was the "master" since Mina talked about him while she was trying to bite Vanessa and Vanessa rejected Dorian because he really brought the demon out of her. lol

I think the second season might be better, but that probably won't be until next year.

To me it had some good weeks and other times it was boring. I did like how the season ended.

It did move slow sometimes, but I like Josh Harntett's character and the guy who plays Dorian Gray is interesting.

The week where Vanessa was possessed was very good. She was very good at being scary.

I just hope next season moves quicker.

Without reading anything in this thread, is the rest of the season worth watching? Episode 1 didn't exactly pull me in.

In a word, yes. Check out this scene. The context is that Frankenstein's Monster just had his heart broken. He went back to Dr. Frankenstein's lab. Dr. Frankenstein wants to kill him because he has been terrorized by the monster. The monster wants Dr. Frankenstein to make him a mate and he doesn't appreciate all the stalling Dr. Frankenstein is doing. Dr. Frakenstein is goingto kill him with a gun until he hears the monster's speech:

Yeah I hated the monster until he made that speech. Then I felt his pain when he realized the monster he had really become. I can't wait to see how Dr. Frankenstein is going to make him a mate and when Josh Harnette's character sees her, it's not going to be good.

• Like 1