Mind blown: Water is older than the Sun

downzy

Water on Earth is older than the sun, scientists say

Some of the water molecules in your drinking glass were created more than 4.5 billion years ago, according to new research.

That makes them older than the Earth, older than the solar system — even older than the sun itself.

In a study published Thursday in Science, researchers say the distinct chemical signature of the water on Earth and throughout the solar system could occur only if some of that water formed before the swirling disk of dust and gas gave birth to the planets, moons, comets and asteroids.

This primordial water makes up 30% to 50% of the water on Earth, the researchers estimate.

Pretty cool. Can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-old-water-on-earth-20140923-story.html

I remember watching Cosmos a month or two ago and the theory is that life was deposited on earth from a passing comet or astroid. Guess the water might have come with it.

Thoughts?

Some of the water molecules in your drinking glass were created more than 4.5 billion years ago, according to new research.

That makes them older than the Earth, older than the solar system — even older than the sun itself.

In a study published Thursday in Science, researchers say the distinct chemical signature of the water on Earth and throughout the solar system could occur only if some of that water formed before the swirling disk of dust and gas gave birth to the planets, moons, comets and asteroids.

This primordial water makes up 30% to 50% of the water on Earth, the researchers estimate.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-old-water-on-earth-20140923-story.html

I remember watching Cosmos a month or two ago and the theory is that life was deposited on earth from a passing comet or astroid. Guess the water might have come with it.

Thoughts?

It is common sense.

Water is very simple, made up of Hydrogen and Oxygen. The elements in the sun, outside on the early simple elements, include neon, iron and silicon which were, generally, formed afterwards.

I guess it's common sense if you studied chemistry/science beyond grade 10. Since I did not, that's news to me.

Always thought the water that existed on earth was formed here.

Most of the water on the planet is from comet(primarily) and asteroid impacts that happened during the Late Heavy Bombardment period that occurred around 4 billion years ago. Some of it was also probably picked up from the solar nebula as the planets cleared out their orbits.

Some of the water we drink has at one point been pee then?

Think about this: the calcium in your bones was formed when stars went supernova billions of years ago.

Thoughts?

It is common sense.

Water is very simple, made up of Hydrogen and Oxygen. The elements in the sun, outside on the early simple elements, include neon, iron and silicon which were, generally, formed afterwards.

70% of the Sun is Hydrogen....and it also contains Oxygen. So by your logic, at the very least, parts of the Sun could be as old as "this" water.

I guess it's common sense if you studied chemistry/science beyond grade 10. Since I did not, that's news to me.

Always thought the water that existed on earth was formed here.

Most of the water on the planet is from comet(primarily) and asteroid impacts that happened during the Late Heavy Bombardment period that occurred around 4 billion years ago. Some of it was also probably picked up from the solar nebula as the planets cleared out their orbits.

Some of the water we drink has at one point been pee then?

Think about this: the calcium in your bones was formed when stars went supernova billions of years ago.

Im old and well-travelled after all,

• Like 1

Thoughts?

It is common sense.

70% of the Sun is Hydrogen....and it also contains Oxygen. So by your logic, at the very least, parts of the Sun could be as old as "this" water.

That is correct.

The periodic table is like a bible of elements. The first ones came first, like Hydrogen and Helium and represent the simplest ones, and usually the most common and abundant ones.. The latter ones came later. If you look, there are later elements like Einsteinium etc.., which give you a feel as to when they were discovered.

Ice, Water, Steam is H2O, so for every two Hydrogen dots, there is one Oxygen dot. The elements as a whole are like different shaped lego bricks, some mix together, some don't. Some need more than one brick to mix with one brick of another.

To figure out the age of anything, look at the mix of elements, find out which is higher i

• Like 1