does anyone else think if the band released an album in the early 2000's rock would be more relevant today

Hardly anyone pays for music anymore no matter what genre. They can't save rock n roll. I was always surprised there wasn't a lot of copycat gnr's because of their massive success.

Yeah. The industry usually churns out copies whenever something is successful.

I don't have any answers. Just more questions.

What is 'rock', anyway?

What is 'relevant'? Can we use in the word 'popular' in it's place?

It's very interesting to me that we are always trying to "save" rock music. Do you ever hear the question: "Who will save country music?", or "Who will save dance music?" Maybe there are people out there asking that, but surely it's asked less often. Why is that?!?? This is fascinating to me.

I think it must have something to do with what we REALLY mean when we say 'rock music'.

nope by that time hip hop was starting to reign supreme with Eminem, Nelly and eventually 50 Cent who would have every kid wanting to be a gangster

i unfortunately grew up in this era and i did have a gunit shirt, gunit reeboks and a spinner chain lmao

Edited by -W.A.R-

Hardly anyone pays for music anymore no matter what genre. They can't save rock n roll. I was always surprised there wasn't a lot of copycat gnr's because of their massive success.

Yeah, been hearing that for years till Adele sells 7million albums in a little over a month .

Yeah, been hearing that for years till Adele sells 7million albums in a little over a month .
I did say hardly anyone. I saw an article that said she sold more than the rest of the top ten combined. If I remember right number 2 didn't even go platinum. Edited by gnfnrs1972

Guns and Roses were huge back then and the impact they had in the 80's could have been repeated in 2000's. I know its stupid to think of what could have been, but i cant help but get pissed off that when this generation thinks of rock they think of the foo fighters.

Nope

This whole chasing for relevancy is moronic, imho

There's not really a prevelant "mainstream" music anymore.

Christ - Adele is selling by the tanker load by singing old school Soul/R&B stuff with strings. Beiber is doing dance style music and selling well, Ed Sheeran is doing singer song-writery stuff with a slight hip hop influence.

Rap is still huge, (new) RnB too, theres EDM, coldplays sort of indie rock thing. Foo's obviously sell well, in Europe Biffy Clyro and Muse are massive and fill stadiums across the continent.

There's not a movement of a single style of music really, thanks mostly to the internet people listen to what they want really. Sure there's still sometimes an explosion of artist of a particular kind but I can't say theres a particular style of music thats immensly popular. If anything you could say there's a slight electronic dance thing going on at the moment but otherwise its pretty open.