Robin Finck

sweetness

Ive been listening to The Blues a lot lately, and all I can say is that his work on this song is great. The guitar solo is amazing, and it gives me a shit load of hope for Robins work on the rest of the album. I get the same vibe from his work on There Was A Time and Maddy, he can write some really cool guitar parts, and after seeing his solo at Inland Invasion my mind has been changeing about him as a guitarist overall.

Sure, technicaly hes doggshit, but so was Hendrix and I consider him the greatest guitarist to walk the earth. Robin plays with great feel while he has Fortus playing rythm with him, I think these two can be widely recognized as a new great guitar duo. They have good chemistry between them, and the Blues guitar solo shows that like no other

I still dont like his work on the old songs at all, its painful to listen to, but there is no doubt he can write some awsome guitar parts and its nice to hear him play at his own technical level, rather than to hear him play in the massive shadow of Slash, and the fact that his style doesnt fit those songs AT ALL only feeds that. The bottom line is that Robin shines on the new songs, and his work on the old songs is where his critics get their arguments. As a long time Robin Finck critic, I'll say thats where my issue has always lied, and it overall got in the way of how I saw him as a guitarist. I think if people focus more on his work on the new songs they'll really see why people like him, I often wondered the same thing, and hear I am...

Have any of the other Robin Finck critics felt their minds changeing about him? God, I hope Im not the only one... :ph34r:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he improved a lot as guitarist and in his look..after all he has my respect.His presence on stage is fantastic,the solos of the new songs are really great and Better is a top song.

To be honest,I was not really happy with him in the past,but the guy is pure rock n' roll now..never imagined that he would stage dive someday in a concert.

Greatest member of this band after Axl.

Welcome to the other side, my friend. ;)

I am by no means on the other side :P

I still dont consider this band GNR, and I still disagree with Axl for taking the band over, and I still consider the old band the greatest band ever

But Im open to this bands music and thats how Ive always been, just have to take it for what it is, even if I refuse to accept it as Guns N' Roses. I'll always stand my ground on that.

I agree with your post 100%. People are too quick to judge the new members based on their performances of old songs. I think once we get CD in our hands, we'll all see what Mr. Finck and the rest of the guys can really do. Besides, he looks like the coolest guitarist to ever walk the earth right now... sort of like a mix of Jimi's style with the Beatles or something. He'd fit perfectly into any of the Chic and Chong movies...lol.

Welcome to the other side, my friend. ;)

I am by no means on the other side :P

I still dont consider this band GNR, and I still disagree with Axl for taking the band over, and I still consider the old band the greatest band ever

But Im open to this bands music and thats how Ive always been, just have to take it for what it is, even if I refuse to accept it as Guns N' Roses. I'll always stand my ground on that.

Okay... well your BIG TOE is on the other side then? :P

Great post. I've always thought Finck was largely underrated (I feel like I've been saying that a lot lately :)) and I'm glad to see someone taking an objective look at him.

I agree that he will really shine as a musician when we get to hear more of the material that he's actually written to suit his style.

I don't understand the problem people have with how finck plays the old songs. He puts his own twist on them rather than play them note for note. I think it's great...I mean do you guys really want him to be a slash immitation or let him gain his own personality and style. I for one think he is doing a great job and I'm not the only one...it seems as though alot of reporters picked up on his great presence on stage being how they talked of him quite highly in some of the reviews for inland invasion. Either way though, to each their own opinion but for fucks sake slash made mistakes too.

i agree 100% with the original post. i actually had the exact same thought when i heard them play "the blues"! the ending of that solo is pretty spine-tingling.....makes me feel bad for dogging him.

i too have been somewhat "against" the new band being called guns n roses. but, over these last months i've changed my attitude a bit. i mean, i still don't consider them guns n roses (and i never will), but whats in a name anyways? axl is my favorite singer of ALL TIME....he can call the band "wang-dang and the dildo polishers" for all i care....as long as he gets on stage with a good band and kicks ass.....and he has! seriously, i would have rather seen fortus and brain replace izzy and adler........

anyways, i think finck will please the most cynical among us in due time. i am a fucking blackhearted bastard, and he's even bringing me around.....i still think he should play the older material a little more proficiently but whatever....many of those songs will be replaced with new ones in the next month.

never imagined that he would stage dive someday in a concert.

well he used to do that a lot in his NIN days.. :P

this thread has amazing answers so far.. it feels so good to read all this Robin love!!! I don't know why he clicked with me the way he did, it has to be something about his personality, charisma and unique aura.. but he got me ever since I sa the webcast of RIR and the Beautiful Solo with Richard from May.. since then I've been hooked.. and I never thought this band members would ever make me feel so strong emotions like the old members did.. but Robin made it :heart: and I got converted

he is my favorite now

nothing you say will change this from being Guns N' Roses. might as well accept it.

as for Finck, of course you were judging him on the wrong merits. He plays the old stuff well (i think it fits perfect) but who cares? The new stuff is what you should judge him on.

My opinion of him changed too - I used to think he sucks, now I think he blows.

what the fuck are you doing here then?

It is a GnR fan forum. Just because he has a disliking to one of the new band members, Doesn't mean he hates them all.

And quite frankly I agree with him. He is the only member of the current line-up I dont like for various reasons but I wont go into them as I'll be slammed. <_<