Robin Finck

sweetness

Robin's put his own stamp on the tunes...which makes perfect sense.

Any great band (original members or not) will reinvent their material live...for many different reasons:interpretive creativity,spontanaeity,for the sake of their sanity.

I like his style,he brings a fresh twist to GnR...works for me.

reinventing is not = to butchering

for example, bbf reinvented dont cry, and it was AWESOME.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cherry_bomb

Any great band (original members or not) will reinvent their material live...for many different reasons:interpretive creativity,spontanaeity,for the sake of their sanity.

thats your opinion, dont try dictate to people what they should think.

thats your opinion, dont try dictate to people what they should think.

hey bitch, where i am dictacting people what they should think? Of course is my opinion. Dont get crazy cuz i dont like fincky. Most people dont like him. :)

Ive been listening to The Blues a lot lately, and all I can say is that his work on this song is great. The guitar solo is amazing, and it gives me a shit load of hope for Robins work on the rest of the album. I get the same vibe from his work on There Was A Time and Maddy, he can write some really cool guitar parts, and after seeing his solo at Inland Invasion my mind has been changeing about him as a guitarist overall.

Welcome to the Dark Side. When I first started watching Finck, I hated him, but he's so eccentric and unique on stage that I think when I see them I'll be looking at him and Ron more than Axl. He's pulled off some awesome solos, and I think he's great on some of the old tunes, specifically Sweet Child. I really dig his version of the solo, even if it's just a bunch of mistakes, it still sounds fucking cool.

Sure, technicaly hes doggshit, but so was Hendrix and I consider him the greatest guitarist to walk the earth.

OUCH MAN! Fuck no! Jimi was a great guitarist, he was not dogshit technically at all. He couldn't write many great solos, but man was he talented. Of course in comparison to Ron Thal, Buckethead, etc. he was nothing, but without him, they wouldn't even exist.

Jimi's experimentation with sonic sounds and feedback etc. is mindblowing. Only Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton surpass him in terms of influence on rock guitar.

hey bitch, where i am dictacting people what they should think? Of course is my opinion. Dont get crazy cuz i dont like fincky. Most people dont like him. :)

voice your opinions...that's cool,but keep the personal attacks out of it

Can't say my opinion of him has changed. I've always thought his work on the new songs was great. And going forward that is what matters most because this is all about Chinese Democracy. It seems to me that Robin is a really good writer. I've been saying this for months now.

His work on the old songs ranges from pretty bad to very good. For me too often it is in the 'pretty bad' category. You can say he's just putting his twist on the songs but his twist just sounds really bad. At least to these ears. A lot of the details in the old solos are lost because Robin doesn't play them. He just hangs on to notes for a longer duration rather than play the changes. And while he looks cool with the long black coat and shades, his moves are anything but. Those faces, his bouncing from leg to leg like a kid who has to go pee, the way he holds his guitar against his knee and swings it back and forth...to me this all looks real goofy.

So when it comes to Robin I am torn. I think the live show often suffers because of his playing and style, but he will really help the album become great and hopefully the band will play more and more new songs and on those I'm sure he will shine.

My opinion of him changed too - I used to think he sucks, now I think he blows.

what the fuck are you doing here then?

Is this Mygnrforum.com or Myrobinfinckforum.com?

Stop being a fucking cupcake. you dont like GNR.

the only cupcakes on this forum are people who write shit like the above. "you don't like gnr"....how fucking stupid is that? one could just as easily point out that YOU don't like gn'r cause you support the new band. from either direction it's just hot air....clearly if you are willing to spend time on an UNOFFICIAL FAN FORUM, you are a fan of the band. period. doesnt matter if you only like the ORIGINAL band, or if you swallow eveything axl sends your way just cause it came from him. whenever i see shit like this, i keep waiting for the next post to say:

"allright dude, meet me behind 7-11, and we'll see who can pee the farthest. THAT will show who's a bigger gn'r fan."

everyone's opinion is equally valid. just because you've got more posts, a different point-of-view, or a cooler sig than someone else doesn't make you superior or "right".

i'm not saying we should all "just get along", because this is a guns n' fuckin' roses forum, and a little piss n vinegar is par the for the course, but this "get out of here, you're not a real fan" bullshit is like dealing with a 7th grader.

now, who's comin' to 7-11 with me?

i agree 100% with the original post. i actually had the exact same thought when i heard them play "the blues"! the ending of that solo is pretty spine-tingling.....makes me feel bad for dogging him.

i too have been somewhat "against" the new band being called guns n roses. but, over these last months i've changed my attitude a bit. i mean, i still don't consider them guns n roses (and i never will), but whats in a name anyways? axl is my favorite singer of ALL TIME....he can call the band "wang-dang and the dildo polishers" for all i care....as long as he gets on stage with a good band and kicks ass.....and he has! seriously, i would have rather seen fortus and brain replace izzy and adler........

anyways, i think finck will please the most cynical among us in due time. i am a fucking blackhearted bastard, and he's even bringing me around.....i still think he should play the older material a little more proficiently but whatever....many of those songs will be replaced with new ones in the next month.

wang-dang and the dildo polishers?? :lol:

quick, copyright it before Bach chooses it for his own band!

on topic: Mister Finck has really improved sense he changed his hair cut!... :lol: the part that cracks me up is when he dances on stage, while playing guitar.....Very entertaining! He may not play the old songs exactly like Slash, but he sure as hell does with his own solos!

he's cool as fuck with GNR! rock3

Edited by Funeral

The only real problem I have with him is the SCOM solo, other than that I have no issues. I do like BBF better though.

Ditto. His SCOM and NR solos kill me. If it wasn't for them, I'd be able to tolerate him a lot better. I can't help but dislike him when he plays those solos like that.

the only ones i'm not too big a fan on: are the NR, and the My Michelle ones. I mean Bucket played the my michelle one back in '02... but i'd rather have Fortus or Bumble play it now, rather than finck.

But for NR - Robin is pretty cool with the Rhythm parts, but for the solo, its either hit or miss... hit being- pittsburg '02 - sounds amazing!. If he played it exactly like that everytime I wouldn't have a problem with it.

other than that he's fun to watch, and puts on one hell of a show! rock3

Edited by RocknRollDemon5318

The only real problem I have with him is the SCOM solo, other than that I have no issues. I do like BBF better though.

Ditto. His SCOM and NR solos kill me. If it wasn't for them, I'd be able to tolerate him a lot better. I can't help but dislike him when he plays those solos like that.

dude.. its 2 fucking solos you dont like. if thats ruining it for you, you are just being gay and nitpicky. I think he plays them amazingly well. But its all a matter of opinion and you are letting something very small get in the way of appreciating the most kick ass guitarist of the band. He's playing more of the leads than the other 2 for a reason ya know.

dude.. its 2 fucking solos you dont like. if thats ruining it for you, you are just being gay and nitpicky. I think he plays them amazingly well. But its all a matter of opinion and you are letting something very small get in the way of appreciating the most kick ass guitarist of the band. He's playing more of the leads than the other 2 for a reason ya know.

They're my two favourite GNR solos, I need them to be played well. It's not just them, I think he messes up a lot of the solos (sometimes I think he butchers The Blues - which I happen to think is a good solo when done right, so props to him for writing it, but he still doesn't nail it everytime) and until his sucess rate with them is higher, I can't accept him. A guitarist in Guns N' Roses needs to produce higher quality every single time. I love this band, I love these songs, it's what I've come to expect. I won't accept anything less.

And I think the reason he's playing lead more than the others is for the simple fact he's been there longer and he seems to get on best with Axl. Eh, all personal opinion, but Fortus and Ron blow him the fuck away in every respect in my eyes. I don't really get why people say about stage persona etc, as Fortus easily has more and I think Ron is getting to the point of becoming a larger than life player (aswell as absolutely owning everything he plays. Ron is the future of GNR I reckon).

Like I said, he's improving, and I like him more now, but he has a long way to go.

I'm slowly learning to tune him out on certain songs...

That's your loss mate because he's fuckin' great! The guy has charisma that more than matches the old guitarists!

nah.

you are just being gay and nitpicky

Again with the homophobic BS. :rolleyes:

Edited by moreblack

I'm slowly learning to tune him out on certain songs...

That's your loss mate because he's fuckin' great! The guy has charisma that more than matches the old guitarists!

nah.

you are just being gay and nitpicky

Again with the homophobic BS. :rolleyes:

dude if i call something gay i'm saying its lame. you know what i mean.

They're my two favourite GNR solos, I need them to be played well. It's not just them, I think he messes up a lot of the solos (sometimes I think he butchers The Blues - which I happen to think is a good solo when done right, so props to him for writing it, but he still doesn't nail it everytime) and until his sucess rate with them is higher, I can't accept him. A guitarist in Guns N' Roses needs to produce higher quality every single time. I love this band, I love these songs, it's what I've come to expect. I won't accept anything less.

And I think the reason he's playing lead more than the others is for the simple fact he's been there longer and he seems to get on best with Axl. Eh, all personal opinion, but Fortus and Ron blow him the fuck away in every respect in my eyes. I don't really get why people say about stage persona etc, as Fortus easily has more and I think Ron is getting to the point of becoming a larger than life player (aswell as absolutely owning everything he plays. Ron is the future of GNR I reckon).

Like I said, he's improving, and I like him more now, but he has a long way to go.

I'm sorry but could your head be any further in your ass? Did we see the same band this year? You wont accept him? I dont think you have much choice.. I dont think Axl is going to change things around so they are how you like them. And what you call butchering is robin playing the songs THE WAY HE FUCKING PLAYS THEM. He is the lead guitarist in the band, he can play them how he wishes. I prefer him to do it his own way.

And what you call butchering is robin playing the songs THE WAY HE FUCKING PLAYS THEM. He is the lead guitarist in the band, he can play them how he wishes. I prefer him to do it his own way.
Fortus does great on his, Thal does great on most of his, although I wish he'd work on Better and IRS to sound more like what Buckethead did.

Hmm..

-Kickingthehabit

And what you call butchering is robin playing the songs THE WAY HE FUCKING PLAYS THEM. He is the lead guitarist in the band, he can play them how he wishes. I prefer him to do it his own way.

Fortus does great on his, Thal does great on most of his, although I wish he'd work on Better and IRS to sound more like what Buckethead did.

Hmm..

-Kickingthehabit

Where did I say I didn't accept Ron Thal? I said he's great. I accept that he plays those 2 songs and any other leads he plays as the way he plays them and you wont see me bitching and whining about it every chance i get that i think bucket's parts sounded better on the demos. I have actually come to really love Ron in this band after seeing them in Vegas. I was responding to people who said they can't accept robin because they dont like 2 solos he plays. Thats a silly reason to have a musican ruined for you. And I am not appalled at the way Ron plays those 2 songs at all. Nice try tho. and cool sig man.

Edited by King Dick

I'm sorry but could your head be any further in your ass? Did we see the same band this year? You wont accept him? I dont think you have much choice.. I dont think Axl is going to change things around so they are how you like them. And what you call butchering is robin playing the songs THE WAY HE FUCKING PLAYS THEM. He is the lead guitarist in the band, he can play them how he wishes. I prefer him to do it his own way.

I'm not going to love him just because Axl likes him and he's in GN'R. That's not how I am. I have my own mind and I can make my own decisions on what I do and don't like.

Just because that's Robin's style of play doesn't mean it's still not butchering. I could go grab me a guitar, try and play some Hendrix, totally fuck it up and say 'Hey, that's my style, back off!'. It doesn't work like that.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

Guest cherry_bomb

i agree 100% with the original post. i actually had the exact same thought when i heard them play "the blues"! the ending of that solo is pretty spine-tingling.....makes me feel bad for dogging him.

i too have been somewhat "against" the new band being called guns n roses. but, over these last months i've changed my attitude a bit. i mean, i still don't consider them guns n roses (and i never will), but whats in a name anyways? axl is my favorite singer of ALL TIME....he can call the band "wang-dang and the dildo polishers" for all i care....as long as he gets on stage with a good band and kicks ass.....and he has! seriously, i would have rather seen fortus and brain replace izzy and adler........

anyways, i think finck will please the most cynical among us in due time. i am a fucking blackhearted bastard, and he's even bringing me around.....i still think he should play the older material a little more proficiently but whatever....many of those songs will be replaced with new ones in the next month.

wang-dang and the dildo polishers?? :lol:

quick, copyright it before Bach chooses it for his own band!

on topic: Mister Finck has really improved sense he changed his hair cut!... :lol: the part that cracks me up is when he dances on stage, while playing guitar.....Very entertaining! He may not play the old songs exactly like Slash, but he sure as hell does with his own solos!

he's cool as fuck with GNR! rock3

rock3 all there needs to be said