Robin Finck

sweetness

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he improved a lot as guitarist and in his look..after all he has my respect.His presence on stage is fantastic,the solos of the new songs are really great and Better is a top song.

To be honest,I was not really happy with him in the past,but the guy is pure rock n' roll now..never imagined that he would stage dive someday in a concert.

Greatest member of this band after Axl.

Agree man, hated his 2002 "look", hated the bands look overall in 2002. I Don't have a clear favourite amongst the new members, honestly love them all ! BUT brain and chris, i feel like i don't know them.. would'nt die if they were replaced.

I think you can appologize to giving me and King Dick shit about Finck in the past then.

I dont have to apologize for anything, we had arguments, I wasnt attacking Finck fans for the fact they liked Finck, and this isnt the first time I credited him for his guitar work. When I heard the leaks I knew he could play and write some cool stuff, but if youre going to be in Guns N' Roses you should at least be able to play the widely known Guns N' Roses songs, wich I dont think he does very well.

----------------------

To Adnan about Hendrix, maybe doggshit was a little much. But compared to other guitarists Hendrix wasnt very good technically, and yet he is, im my opinion, the greatest guitarist to ever live because he was simply a great musician, wich most virtuosos and technicaly great guitarists sadly arent. But yeah, I know what you mean, he really recreated the electric guitar with all of the cool effects and shit he discovered, and I wonder how many other guitarists learned by playing it upside down. I miss the fucker and he died before I was born, thats how great he is.

----------------------

To those who said shit like "Welcome to the dark side", and "Youve seen the light", even though those probably werent meant to be taken all that seriously, this thread is nothing more than me just changeing my mind on what I think of Robin Finck as a guitarist who can write and play his own music. Nothing about me rating him over Slash or the new band over the old, thats just not happening.

I think you can appologize to giving me and King Dick shit about Finck in the past then.

but if youre going to be in Guns N' Roses you should at least be able to play the widely known Guns N' Roses songs, wich I dont think he does very well.

You mean, Finck doesn't play Slash well. :P

Just because Finck doesn't play like Slash doesn't mean he can't play GN'R material. Finck's solos from alot of the old material are pretty good, especially the SCOM solo. The new material is even better.

To Adnan about Hendrix, maybe doggshit was a little much. But compared to other guitarists Hendrix wasnt very good technically

Oh god, that's stupider than when you said you can't play the blues without being sloppy. Hendrix was the Shawn Lane of his day. He owned everybody technically in his time.

...and to the other guy who said "He couldn't write many great solos"... and that Clapton revolutionised guitar playing more than Hendrix? Just kill yourself now, for the benefit of humanity. Please.

Edited by PurpleHaze

To Adnan about Hendrix, maybe doggshit was a little much. But compared to other guitarists Hendrix wasnt very good technically

Oh god, that's stupider than when you said you can't play the blues without being sloppy. Hendrix was the Shawn Lane of his day. He owned everybody technically in his time.

...and to the other guy who said "He couldn't write many great solos"... and that Clapton revolutionised guitar playing more than Hendrix? Just kill yourself now, for the benefit of humanity. Please.

I think you just take what I say and exagerate it. Ive never said you cant play blues without being sloppy, but I have said that anything, blues or rock, just doesnt sound right 100% clean, every note hit perfectly. That doesnt mean fuck everything up and try to be sloppy, sometimes thats what I think Finck does and it sounds like shit.

And I wasnt talking about other guitarists at Hendrix's time, but other guitarists now and then. Wich is wrong because its a different ballgame now, and yeah, Ive critised people for that too, you cant compare virtuosos and the guitarists of today to those in the past. So theres the hypocrite in me.

Hendrix is great even in comparison to guitarists today.

And PurpleHaze, please shut the fuck up. Most people agree that as far as soloing goes Jimi wasn't all that great.

Some people have no clue what Clapton has done for guitar. Just listen to some CD's and shut up and step down. He's the greatest that will ever be.

Hendrix is amazing. Clapton is amazing. Let's face it, Clapton and Hendrix wrote more memorable songs than many generations of artists. Well, at least I think they have. You just don't hear 'Layla' and think, "Now, who would that be on guitar?" You just know it. That's what makes those guys amazing. Sloppy playing doesn't dissolve that. Ever.

As for this topic, it's good to see someone like sweetness come on and express his opinion on Finck. Hell, I remember him not liking Finck, and I know he doesn't like him 100%, but he still has an open mind about it. There's no reason to demolish him for opening up a bit. He still reserves his main affinity for Slash and his playing, but he recognizes that Finck can play aswell. Just not better than Slash.

I don't see anything wrong here.

Hendrix is amazing. Clapton is amazing. Let's face it, Clapton and Hendrix wrote more memorable songs than many generations of artists. Well, at least I think they have. You just don't hear 'Layla' and think, "Now, who would that be on guitar?" You just know it. That's what makes those guys amazing. Sloppy playing doesn't dissolve that. Ever.

As for this topic, it's good to see someone like sweetness come on and express his opinion on Finck. Hell, I remember him not liking Finck, and I know he doesn't like him 100%, but he still has an open mind about it. There's no reason to demolish him for opening up a bit. He still reserves his main affinity for Slash and his playing, but he recognizes that Finck can play aswell. Just not better than Slash.

I don't see anything wrong here.

you're not the only zeppelin i agree with!

rock1

I think he improved a lot as guitarist and in his look..after all he has my respect.His presence on stage is fantastic,the solos of the new songs are really great and Better is a top song.

To be honest,I was not really happy with him in the past,but the guy is pure rock n' roll now..never imagined that he would stage dive someday in a concert.

Greatest member of this band after Axl.

hell, yeah.. I never liked the new Gn'R until I saw the look has changed so much, I liked the new songs but I just couldn't face it... I just made up stuff in my head like they sucked now like most people are doing right now, I've been through that and I get very annoyed when people still say they suck even when they havenð't heard shit about them! anyways... I got a little off the track there so yeah, I thought they sucked becouse of Robin's look and Buckethead's bucket...

Most people agree that as far as soloing goes Jimi wasn't all that great.

:blink: You sure about that?

I do think so.

They're not statistics, but every review I read, I read about his experimentation, and his great rythms, etc. But not his solos

And I wasnt talking about other guitarists at Hendrix's time, but other guitarists now and then. Wich is wrong because its a different ballgame now, and yeah, Ive critised people for that too, you cant compare virtuosos and the guitarists of today to those in the past. So theres the hypocrite in me.

You meant compared to guitarists of his time too or at least that's what you typed...

But compared to other guitarists Hendrix wasnt very good technically

Wasn't as in he "wasn't" as tecnically good as guitarists back then. It's called the "past tense" :P

Of fucking course he's not as good as many guitarists today technically. That goes without saying, but make no mistake, he had some killer chops.

Oh and please god nobody say that Hendrix can't play solos again, it's endangering my health. If I read that again, I think my head might actually explode.

...and about Clapton... he's a good writer but he didn't revolutionise jack shit. He played the same old blues style black people had been playing over in the US for decades. He just played it paticularly well.

Edited by PurpleHaze