Anyone following the wacky "Threatin" story?

NostalgiaGoddess

If somebody already made a thread about this in advance, I apologize

So, a supposed LA Metal Band by the name of Threatin gained notoriety for really exaggerating the amount of people that showed up in the venues for their UK tour. Specifically, the band had booked a European tour despite being a rather unknown band (well, until now actually). 

According to MetalSucks (I know, I know, but they have been following the Threatin situation in detail). Frontman Jered Threatin created a fake booking agency and promoter to land the gigs as well as fabricate live footage of them performing in LA and bought Facebook likes as well as YouTube views and event RSVPs, and even lied to venues about ticket sales, which one of the venues named "The Underworld" brought this up by pointing out how only three people showed up to the venue despite the band's claim that they sold 291 tickets in advance. 

BUT WAIT!!!!

Not only did Jered Threatin fabricate a booking agency and promoter, he also fabricated a record label, a press outlet, a website, and an award to make his band seem more legit than it already is. As more things started to come up with the whole "Threatin" situation, Jered Threatin wrote on Twitter about how reading about his supposed stunt makes us part of the illusion. Meanwhile, MetalSucks got some more details on who Jered Threatin really is, including who he was before Threatin, the fact that he might be using his own money to keep up with the illusion that Threatin is a real band, and even some interviews with an estranged brother of his. 

Honestly, as much as this situation kinda hurts my brain, it also fascinates me how something like this can possibly exist. I mean, it just makes me want to know more about this supposed band and how everyone's getting swindled by this

Sources:

http://www.metalsucks.net/tag/threatin/ (These are the articles they have on Threatin)

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/jered-threatin-statement-musical-past-revealed/ (This is an article about the tweet mentioned in this post)

Yeah, this story is bonkers! His brother said that if Jared put this money and energy into a real career that he would likley be successful. Similarly a member of a supporting act said she enjoyed Threatins set and thought he was talented. Makes it even sadder, imo.

Seems like maybe the social media got the best of him and it was more important for him to look at his profiles and see a bunch of likes, regardless of where they came from? And all the rest of the lies make him feel like a big music business insider and a king of social media?

This tweet he used to try and re-frame the scenario is something else! Use your illusions. He wants to go on Joe Rogan, lol.

Lets say we take him for his word, that this was a social media performance art "illusion." How does it possibly justify the workers who lost out on an entire night of tips, that they depend on, and were sent home early, loosing hourly wages? And the places that cancelled and dont have time to plan an event to replace it - they all just loose a shift? Can you imagine how much money he's spent on himself in this rouse, but so far no mention of compensating workers and owners for their looses... for being part of his "illusion."

• 5 months later...