Battefield V/FPS games

OmarBradley

Battlefield V has an 81% critic score and a 3.6/10 user score on metacritic. Well, that basically tells me all I need to know. :lol:

More seriously though, I played the beta and enjoyed it. But the gameplay videos I'm watching now are just not doing it for me. This will be the first Battlefield game since Bad Company 2 that I don't either pre-order or get immediately upon release. Don't want to lament about it too much, mostly wondering if anyone else here is playing and if so, how it's going?

In terms of other FPS games, I am playing World War 3 which is in early access, it's a modern Battlefield-style shooter. Promising game so far. I'm also interested in Squad and Post Scriptum, but haven't gotten either yet. I'm up for other recommendations too.

I've heard mixed reviews. If you didn't like the gameplay mechanics of BF1, then BFV might be up your alley. The problem with BFV is that EA ran a poor marketing campaign and pissed off long time fans of the series. DICE is working hard to get them back, even toned down the custimization options. I am pleased to see the soldiers male or female, actually look more authentic. The look of the game still bothers me. I was enthralled by BF1's visuals and epic gameplay. BFV looks a bit cartoonish. 

• Like 1

Agree re: cartoonish look. Not the Borderlands, but I think the lighting wasn't done well to reflect the ambiance of a WWII setting. The textures and shading mostly look pretty good, but doesn't feel WWII. The beta maps actually had players working together a lot of the time to take points, haven't seen a lot of that reflected in the gameplay videos I've watched. Looks like a free for all just running and gunning. BF seems to be going slightly CoD as it's gotten more mainstream since BF3. :/

More worrisome than it not looking like WWII, is that it doesn't look/feel like Battlefield as much as it used to. I may still pick it up for cheap in a few months, but I have little desire to buy it now.

@Georgy Zhukov given your historical interests, I'd think you'd like Post Scriptum a lot.

So, I started playing this recently on the PC.  It's actually kind of fun, but there are definitely a lot of people cheating, and that really shits up the game, a lot.  It can be super fun to make your way through rubble, crawling to a good vantage point with your sniper rifle.  Unfortunately, every 3rd lobby or so will have someone on the opposing team that can see you at all times, and will headshot you from across the map.   I've also been killed by a shotgun from 200 yards away.  Also common is unloading a full clip point blank on someone, who not only survives, but headshots you.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

I've heard mixed reviews. If you didn't like the gameplay mechanics of BF1, then BFV might be up your alley. The problem with BFV is that EA ran a poor marketing campaign and pissed off long time fans of the series. DICE is working hard to get them back, even toned down the custimization options. I am pleased to see the soldiers male or female, actually look more authentic. The look of the game still bothers me. I was enthralled by BF1's visuals and epic gameplay. BFV looks a bit cartoonish. 

You would really dislike BFV, among the things the SP campaign has taught me about history, is that an 18 year old Norwegian girl and her mother prevented the Nazis from developing nukes, single handedly.

Interesting side note with the women avatars, I don't mind the game having them, but I find the death and wounded screams of the female characters very disconcerting.  I guess I'm not used to it?  The last time I found something disconcerting in a game like this was COD Ghosts, when dogs were killed (and they were a common ability in that game) they used what sounded to me like the actual sound a dog makes when shot or wounded.  Sadly, it's something I've heard in my life, and it was very accurate.

Edited by DeadSlash

33 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

So, I started playing this recently on the PC.  It's actually kind of fun, but there are definitely a lot of people cheating, and that really shits up the game, a lot.  It can be super fun to make your way through rubble, crawling to a good vantage point with your sniper rifle.  Unfortunately, every 3rd lobby or so will have someone on the opposing team that can see you at all times, and will headshot you from across the map.   I've also been killed by a shotgun from 200 yards away.  Also common is unloading a full clip point blank on someone, who not only survives, but headshots you.

You would really dislike BFV, among the things the SP campaign has taught me about history, is that an 18 year old Norwegian girl and her mother prevented the Nazis from developing nukes, single handedly.

Interesting side note with the women avatars, I don't mind the game having them, but I find the death and wounded screams of the female characters very disconcerting.  I guess I'm not used to it?  The last time I found something disconcerting in a game like this was COD Ghosts, when dogs were killed (and they were a common ability in that game) they used what sounded to me like the actual sound a dog makes when shot or wounded.  Sadly, it's something I've heard in my life, and it was very accurate.

Shotgun from 200 yards? That's not hacking, that's Battlefield. :lol: To be fair, modern shotguns do have ridiculously effective firing ranges (like 100 meters), but in a video game it's just too OP. Not too familiar with WWII shotguns, but I can't imagine they should be that accurate at range.

I'm surprised hacking is an issue though. DICE generally has that under wraps for the last few releases, maybe you're experiencing buggy netcode? Which DICE has been miserable at the last releases I played (BF3/4). Either way, that is frustrating.

Of all the things you mentioned in your post, the thing that bothers me the most (and puts me off the game) is the TTK. I hate unloading 15+ rounds into someone's center mass/limbs and then getting killed immediately by 1 or 2 shots because they got lucky and hit my neck/head with their random burst. Whether it's hacking, buggy netcode, or just long TTK, it really breaks the experience for me. This is why I only played BF3/4 hardcore, and have since moved to semi-realistic shooters like Rising Storm and WW3. 

31 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

Shotgun from 200 yards? That's not hacking, that's Battlefield. :lol: To be fair, modern shotguns do have ridiculously effective firing ranges (like 100 meters), but in a video game it's just too OP. Not too familiar with WWII shotguns, but I can't imagine they should be that accurate at range.

I'm surprised hacking is an issue though. DICE generally has that under wraps for the last few releases, maybe you're experiencing buggy netcode? Which DICE has been miserable at the last releases I played (BF3/4). Either way, that is frustrating.

Of all the things you mentioned in your post, the thing that bothers me the most (and puts me off the game) is the TTK. I hate unloading 15+ rounds into someone's center mass/limbs and then getting killed immediately by 1 or 2 shots because they got lucky and hit my neck/head with their random burst. Whether it's hacking, buggy netcode, or just long TTK, it really breaks the experience for me. This is why I only played BF3/4 hardcore, and have since moved to semi-realistic shooters like Rising Storm and WW3. 

There is definite hacking going on, not sure how common it is.  Lots of hacks for sale, lots of demos of said hacks working in game.  It might be less than COD on PC, but it's there.  That is just a part of PC gaming though.  There are ALWAYS going to be hacks.

PS. Nazis are completely removed from the game, FYI.  It's like they weren't involved in WW2.    I'm on the side of leaving it in there, but wtf do I know?

I had no idea about the story behind this game.  It's pretty lol.  People shat on the trailer when it showed the cyborg red haired girl fighting the Germans (not Nazis, we don't use that word anymore in games) because it wasn't really WW2.

EA responded by calling people stupid, saying they didn't understand EA's inclusivity and said "If you don't like it, don't buy it."  So they didn't.  Sales are down 68% and it's already 40 to 50% off at major retailers like Best Buy and Target.

On thing EA did that I REALLY think is bogus and shitty is pictured in the thumbnail for the video I linked to.  It was this huge graphic with "hateful" comments people made about the game on social media.  On the left side (not pictured) it says "White Men White Men White Men"  The implication being it was some kind of racist, misogynistic hate speech.  I learned from reading up on it that it was actually a reference to EA "profanity filter" White Men was censored in beta. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6HX0hwiGC0

16 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I had no idea about the story behind this game.  It's pretty lol.  People shat on the trailer when it showed the cyborg red haired girl fighting the Germans (not Nazis, we don't use that word anymore in games) because it wasn't really WW2.

EA responded by calling people stupid, saying they didn't understand EA's inclusivity and said "If you don't like it, don't buy it."  So they didn't.  Sales are down 68% and it's already 40 to 50% off at major retailers like Best Buy and Target.

On thing EA did that I REALLY think is bogus and shitty is pictured in the thumbnail for the video I linked to.  It was this huge graphic with "hateful" comments people made about the game on social media.  On the left side (not pictured) it says "White Men White Men White Men"  The implication being it was some kind of racist, misogynistic hate speech.  I learned from reading up on it that it was actually a reference to EA "profanity filter" White Men was censored in beta. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6HX0hwiGC0

Yeah I remember the "white man" thing making the rounds on reddit during the beta, and a dev. confirmed it was blocked in the profanity filter, but would likely be unblocked for release. Regarding the EA executive who made those "if you don't like it, don't buy it" comment, here's the full thing:

Pulling no punches, Soderlund dubbed the people partaking in the backlash as “uneducated” in that “they don’t understand that this is a plausible scenario.” And EA isn’t going to sit back and take the flak. “We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game. I’m fine with either or. It’s just not ok.”

The community did not appreciate being labeled "uneducated." He should have known better than to use that word.

Personally, I see no problem allowing female models/skins in multiplayer. Or Asian or black or whatever race, gender, nationality, or ethnicity someone wants to be. With Battlefield  V (multiplayer at least), you're not really experiencing WWII in an authentic or meaningful way - it's an arcade shooter that you either camp in or and run n' gun. I see the player in these types of arcadey shooters as more of a reflection of their real-life self rather than a genuine attempt to mimic the experience of an infantry soldier. 

However, I just read up a bit on what they did with singleplayer, and that is inexcusable. I have no issue highlighting stories of heroism from women, blacks, etc., but FFS use the real stories in history (which there are plenty of! seriously there are thousands and thousands of WWII stories to draw from...) rather than taking real stories and fictitiously inserting women and French prejudice into them.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Yeah, to be clear, I am not bothered by having women in the game, the problem that EA self created was presenting it as a historical shooter, something they have done in the past.  Going on that premise, there was seemingly easily foreseen pushback over the trailer having a girl with a cyber arm leading the English charge against the Germans, flanked by another girl wielding a katana.

I'm really on the fence with this stuff, because first and foremost it is only a game... at the same time, it should be presented as such, and not as a historical shooter.  If Saving Private Ryan has cyborg women wielding swords, it would have been a pretty neat action movie, but if it was sold as a history piece, it would be an abomination.  

• Like 1