GN'R - Be one of the pioneers!

Spirit

How GN'R can be one of the first big name bands taking this particular marketing direction.

Here's an idea I came up with the other day.

The band is about to finish their European tour and according to the band members the studio awaits. How do you keep the momentum and build the excitement towards the next album? Keep the fans updated. So, in the past ten years GN'R have definetly improved over time in that area. With the use of Twitter and Facebook as well as the new website I think we can say they're pretty good at keeping in touch with us during the tours. Now, let's build on that and do something great while in the studio as well - film a documentary.

I'm not talking about little five minute clips filmed with an iPhone and put up on twitter, I'm talking about a professionally filmed documentary. 30 minute webisodes released over the course of the next months to create a whole series. The daily life in the studio, song writing, ideas, recording, mixing, interviews as we go along.. all sorts of interesting stuff.

So, wouldn't this be expensive? Yes it would. Let's say the production of the documentary would be about $200,000. Would the label provide the money? Given the impression we've got of the relationship between the band and Geffen/Interscope I don't really think so. Then what about the fans, would they be willing to contribute? Not quite sure, unless... rewards! Do it on Kickstarter!

It could go something like this.

Contribution level

$15

Access to the online episodes of the documentary

Copy of the next album

$30

Copy of the next album

Blu-Ray copy of the complete documentary

$50

Copy of the next album

Blu-Ray copy of the O2 Arena concert

$75

Copy of the next album

B-Sides Bonus disc from the next album

$100

Copy of the next album

Photobook from the recording sessions incl. a guitar pick set

$150 (Max 3000 people)

Copy of the next album

Numbered Special edition of the documentary including an exclusive interview with the band

$250 (Max 800 people)

Copy of the next album

Numbered Special edition of the documentary including an exclusive interview with the band

Signed photobook from the recording sessions incl. a guitar pick set

$500 (Max 100 people)

Signed copy of the next album (with a "To ...")

Your name under "special thanks" in the liner notes of the next album

So, how much would you have contributed to something like this? Should there be different rewards? If many people think it's a good idea, I think it should somehow be pitched for the band.

Funny, when we started the first post of 350+ in the mod section about the restructure of this forum (and no, this isn't a direct comparison with Guns N' Roses and mygnrforum), top of our list was "guys, think outside the box here a little" from that we managed to amend, change and develop sections and course, we introduced "Attitude" -- I love the idea for that you came up with.

You think to yourself, I wonder with Axl, he made a clear stance with the HOF, has he got something up his sleeve that's happening after this tour and if it's not (immediately) a new album, is he/GNR going to further develop the 'brand' and do something 'out of the box'? Time will tell i guess.

Funny, when we started the first post of 350+ in the mod section about the restructure of this forum (and no, this isn't a direct comparison with Guns N' Roses and mygnrforum), top of our list was "guys, think outside the box here a little" from that we managed to amend, change and develop sections and course, we introduced "Attitude" -- I love the idea for that you came up with.

You think to yourself, I wonder with Axl, he made a clear stance with the HOF, has he got something up his sleeve that's happening after this tour and if it's not (immediately) a new album, is he/GNR going to further develop the 'brand' and do something 'out of the box'? Time will tell i guess.

I sincerely hope that he is. I don't mind the touring, other than the fact that I can't go to every show; but I would definitely love a new album. Don't really care who plays on it, a new album would be nice.

I would also like one of the $500 packages in the op. They would probably sell out pretty fast.

How GN'R can be one of the first big name bands taking this particular marketing direction.

The band is about to finish their European tour and according to the band members the studio awaits. How do you keep the momentum and build the excitement towards the next album? Keep the fans updated. So, in the past ten years GN'R have definetly improved over time in that area. With the use of Twitter and Facebook as well as the new website I think we can say they're pretty good at keeping in touch with us during the tours. Now, let's build on that and do something great while in the studio as well - film a documentary.

I'm not talking about little five minute clips filmed with an iPhone and put up on twitter, I'm talking about a professionally filmed documentary. 30 minute webisodes released over the course of the next months to create a whole series. The daily life in the studio, song writing, ideas, recording, mixing, interviews as we go along.. all sorts of interesting stuff.

So, wouldn't this be expensive? Yes it would. Let's say the production of the documentary would be about $200,000. Would the label provide the money? Given the impression we've got of the relationship between the band and Geffen/Interscope I don't really think so. Then what about the fans, would they be willing to contribute? Not quite sure, unless... rewards! Do it on Kickstarter!

Contribution level

$15

Copy of the next album

$30

Copy of the next album

$50

Copy of the next album

$75

Copy of the next album

$100

Copy of the next album

$150 (Max 3000 people)

Copy of the next album

$250 (Max 800 people)

Copy of the next album

$500 (Max 100 people)

So, how much would you have contributed to something like this? Should there be different rewards? If many people think it's a good idea, I think it should somehow be pitched for the band.

Documentaries are pretty cheap to make, it's the editing that's time consuming. Most concerts for home video put the documentary stuff as bonus footage or on You Tube. Metallica's doing a concert film, but doing it in 3D jacks the cost of making it up. It'll prob. make its money back, and being that James scaled down on the cursing, will prob. be running in all the appliance stores.

I think 3D is too gimmicky and still too much of a niche market, and when they can have universal glasses for all HDTVs, then I'll cave and get it.

When Axl was interviewed about being told to scale down the production in the LA papers, he would prob. rather put nothing out. I don't know if Axl's down for the hat in hand approach,when he can license 10 songs out and book some private shows to cover costs.

If the band keeps in touch with the fans during the sessions, it'll be a first.

Contribution level

$15

Copy of the next album

$30

Copy of the next album

$50

Copy of the next album

$75

Copy of the next album

$100

Copy of the next album

$150 (Max 3000 people)

Copy of the next album

$250 (Max 800 people)

Copy of the next album

$500 (Max 100 people)

'

Fuck all that. They should make a documentary like Echoes (Director's Cut) by Pink Floyd. Look it up on youtube. That's art at its finest.

Doing something "different" would definitely gain some attention and good publicity.

Documentaries are pretty cheap to make, it's the editing that's time consuming. Most concerts for home video put the documentary stuff as bonus footage or on You Tube. Metallica's doing a concert film, but doing it in 3D jacks the cost of making it up. It'll prob. make its money back, and being that James scaled down on the cursing, will prob. be running in all the appliance stores.

I think 3D is too gimmicky and still too much of a niche market, and when they can have universal glasses for all HDTVs, then I'll cave and get it.

When Axl was interviewed about being told to scale down the production in the LA papers, he would prob. rather put nothing out. I don't know if Axl's down for the hat in hand approach,when he can license 10 songs out and book some private shows to cover costs.

If the band keeps in touch with the fans during the sessions, it'll be a first.

Yes, I really hope the connection with the fans will remain after the tour is over.

When you say most bands put the documentary stuff as a bonus, that's probably true. However, the documentary I'm talking about here would be 8-10 episodes, each being around 30 minutes, with television quality production. To hire a docu-crew hanging around for the studio sessions, which would be for months wouldn't be very cheap.

Great idea, spirit

But

is maybe too far

I set a "100 people max" limit to that one. A $500 contribution would be a pretty big donation for the average fan, and the liner note thanks as well as the signed album are the only two things differing from the $250 donation.

Edited by Spirit