Have You Seen the New GNR Lately? And Opinion of the New Band?

I think Axl picks people that he thinks can add something creative to the band when it comes to songwriting. I know that might sound strange because of the amount of new music that has come so far from the new band, but there are other factors that are there that slow things down.

Thanks for the answers.

Oh and have you seen Slash + Myles & the Conspirators live?

Yes every time they play in Los Angeles. Slash's guitar playing is better than ever live. The fact that he is sober really shows in his playing. Miles does a good job covering the old stuff too.

Thanks for the answers.

Oh and have you seen Slash + Myles & the Conspirators live?

Yes every time they play in Los Angeles. Slash's guitar playing is better than ever live. The fact that he is sober really shows in his playing. Miles does a good job covering the old stuff too.

See, thats just sort of the thing with this split. With Axl, I've seen him and the new band once. They were very good, its just hard to get into seeing anyone other than Axl unless you are really following these guys from show to show and get to know the other players in the band. I loved being so close to Axl, but he's hit or miss and the shows are long and monotonous with all the solo spots (I assume mostly for Axl to rest which makes sense), and generally I don't get the feel of the music as the band just sounds like a backing band to me. I don't CARE about what they're playing which makes me upset. I wish I did.

Slash on the other hand is doing something right. I was the last person to think he would be great touring solo, but he's amazing. It still boggles me that I've caught him everytime he's on the East Coast, but those shows are outstanding and I don't regret any of them. I liked Myles from the beginning, and while he's no Axl, he does an excellent job doing the GNR material justice, and on top of that also doing Slash's other bands very well. He's consistent, friendly, and has an excellent chemistry with Slash which makes it awesome to see. Unlike GNR, I don't just care about Slash, but I like all the other members and they have their shining moments as a band. They play the music like GNR used to, as a small 5 piece band where they everyone is important and contributing. It doesn't feel like the tribute band stuff. And the shows are packed full with amazing songs. Honestly, the only slow part for me is Slash's Godfather solo, but its needed and expected.

Maybe its just me, but its so different between New GNR and Slash's current touring. One is almost like the second coming of GNR (and I really never thought I'd be saying that), and one is like a tribute band with the original singer. Again, I don't hate new GNR and I wished I liked them more (as a whole i liked the Chinese Democracy album a lot), but every Slash show I get about 3 songs i haven't heard before and consistent energy from everyone and a general oneness from the band as a whole which means alot to me.

Well you get a little of both. With GNR you get better vocals and Axl is going to move around the stage better. With Slash you are going to get better guitar sound the way he intended them to sound. The thing about Slash is and a handful of other guitar players is, they sound a certain way no matter what guitar they are playing or what amp they are using. Slash once played at Canter's Kibitz Room and walked in with nothing picked up a new cheap Strat that was plugged into a shit little amp and all you heard was Slash the way he always sounds. Nothing wrong with the news guys in GNR but no one is going to sound like Slash.

Edited by recklessroad

Well you get a little of both. With GNR you get better vocals and Axl is going to move around the stage better. With Slash you are going to get better guitar sound they way the songs were intended to sound.

I do see what you mean. Although with GNR, and again its not meant to demean them, but you get the possibility of better vocals (usually decent vocals throughout a show as opposed to consistent vocals from Myles) and an out of breath frontman struggling to finish every sentence. Again, its not mean to shit on Axl because I love the guy, but unless you see him on a good night you could argue that you're seeing a tribute band with the original frontman that is truly struggling to sing at a professional level.

From what I have seen Axl does his best to give you a good show. He also plays longer than he is contracted to do.

I agree the length of the concert experience is the big positive about new GNR, but let's be honest, he doesnt' sing very well anymore the majority of the time...Myles sounds different than Axl but for an overall concert he's much better than the Ax man and the fact it allows Slash to play quite a few GNR tunes mixed in with his new stuff makes an awesome concert experience! Seen them both and Slash is the real deal.

• You really can't compare them. They both do things that the other can't do. Both good just different. I know Slash does a very good job with his set and the fact that he is playing sober makes things even better. I haven't seen Axl live in person since 2006 but when I did he was also doing a great job doing what he does. If you like Slash's set better, thats your choice. It also could depend on what you want to see and hear. I think a true fan should enjoy both bands. It's not really a contest on who does a better job. They both are doing the best they can with who they are working with.

• You really can't compare them. They both do things that the other can't do. Both good just different. I know Slash does a very good job with his set and the fact that he is playing sober makes things even better. I haven't seen Axl live in person since 2006 but when I did he was also doing a great job doing what he does. If you like Slash's set better, thats your choice. It also could depend on what you want to see and hear. I think a true fan should enjoy both bands. It's not really a contest on who does a better job. They both are doing the best they can with who they are working with.

Yeah, I agree with you and I obviously wouldn't expect you to say Axl's voice is lacking these days even if you had seen them live within the last 6 years. IMO Axl was better then because he was actually in shape and acted like he still had something to prove, but whatever. To sum it up though..I'll just say unless you're somebody like Steven Tyler, it's easier to age as a kickass guitarist than a lead singer.

Will talk about age when they are 80. 50 is not that old

It really isn't that old. Its just that I personally can't see Axl singing this stuff much longer. Definitely not past 60, but maybe he'll prove us all wrong. I really can't see it happening past 55, but again who knows. It just seems like 50 for a singer is when it starts going south, and for Axl type vocals its amazing he's still able to do it today.

I agree, its not a contest, and this is just a friendly discussion about the two groups. I think Slash just has alot more in his corner that helps him be better at this point. He's still able to play great guitar (obviously thats easier to keep up than singing like Axl has to), he charges much much less (about 1/3 of the price of a GNR ticket), and he has a core 5 person rock band as opposed to the (and I say this in the best way possible) circus that Axl brings out. I think it is genuine that Axl gives his best, its just that his best isn't near consistent enough as it used to be, or as consistent as Slash can be. If he charges Slash's prices, it would be a different story. But the truth is that Slash's band gives you a better bang for your buck. And I'm someone that would love to see deep cut Illusion stuff and stuff that only Axl can do. Both groups give you different things, but Axl gives you around the same stuff he has been for the last 10 years. The only pro I really see about seeing GNR these days is to say "I've seen Axl Rose live."

Whenever GN'R or any former member comes to my part of the world I go. And I still feel like a child seeing these muscians live. It's a privledge to see them, and amazing we get all of them still producing music, performing and living the music. It's special.