Rap , same fate as hair metal?

highway blues

Seems that rap has gone very commercial and has become a huge cliche these days

nt to mention magazines are starting to realize the repetitve formula in rappers albums wich means boring music is being made.

What the chance rap will fall in popularity like glam metal did?

looks like its following the same trend.

if the next trend is techno ill shoot my self.

techno and hip hop have been around waaay too long to be considered trends. i think its really disrespectful to hip hop as a genre thats been around since the early 70s to be called a trend. it aint riverdance, it aint tae bo, it aint girl power, its a generational identity and a culture and a valid form of art. on many levels.

Edited by ffrankwhite

its more of a culture than it is an art

since when is singing over samples over other artists music an art?

1) it isnt specifically or exclusively other peoples music

2) the mixing and composition of said samples is where the art lies.

:rolleyes:

It's been around for almost 30 years. Rap is as institutionalized a genre as rock or pop. As hair bands came and went within rock, particular trends will do the same within rap and hip hop. But the overall genre is not in any danger.

Edited by Angelica

:rolleyes:

It's been around for almost 30 years. Rap is as institutionalized a genre as rock or pop. As hair bands came and went within rock, particular trends will do the same within rap and hip hop. But the overall genre is not in any danger.

Yep.

Lil Jon's Crunk shit for example, will be forgotten within the next year, if it ain't already forgotten and dead. Rap itself will stay.

Edited by Spoon87

Rap wont be completely dead it will always have an audience. but it's days on top are coming to a halt. i think it's decline in mainstream popularity is approaching. it will probably lower down to heavy metal status.

Edited by crazyfan

Never been a big fan of rap, but I do like some of it. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I think the main reason hair-metal went away was the hair/makeup stuff, and the music fell

out of favor in the mainstream.

People got tired of seeing male rock stars wearing make-up, and we all know the hairlines

are going to recede. What were left with is the music, some of it was good, some bad. JMO.

[ffrankwhite] can i ask a question of all you die hard rock fans. what valid genre of music has come out of the post war western world OTHER than rock n roll?

Jazz? (you said valid :P )

no :confused: ....don't tell me it's rap? those aliens were already there? :confused:

i also said post-war sweetie :kiss:

can i ask a question of all you die hard rock fans. what valid genre of music has come out of the post war western world OTHER than rock n roll?

Electronica? ( :confused: )

B)

yet earlier we had hip hop written off as not a valid genre but an offshoot of disco (a longer lived form of disco i think is what was exactly said of it), a lot of the same dubious applications of logic can be made with electronica too. basically the point i'm trying to make is that there are TONS of these genres but a lot of the "die hard rock fans" seem to just ignore the existence of all these genres or somehow refer to them as trends and fads or attempt to devalue their artistic merit in the shadow of their beloved rock n roll. as is rock n roll happened and then thats it, theres been no other valid forms of music in post-war western culture, which is bullshit. your dead right, electronica is a perfectly valid form of music.

Edited by ffrankwhite

[ffrankwhite] can i ask a question of all you die hard rock fans. what valid genre of music has come out of the post war western world OTHER than rock n roll?

no :confused: ....don't tell me it's rap? those aliens were already there? :confused:

i also said post-war sweetie :kiss:

Baby, it's only after the war that studies began to show that jazz was an authentic music.....not sure which war though! :rofl-lol:

I knew the answer anyway, we talked about this in the hip hop thread :heart: just wanted to take an easy shot, just missed :laugh:

no :confused: ....don't tell me it's rap? those aliens were already there?

i also said post-war sweetie

Baby, it's only after the war that studies began to show that jazz was an authentic music.....not sure which war though! :rofl-lol:

I knew the answer anyway, we talked about this in the hip hop thread :heart: just wanted to take an easy shot, just missed :laugh:

leave it up to the French huh? :xmasssanta: kidding, you know i love you really!