Any Verve fans?

Ant

Hey dudes.

After really getting into Oasis and The Stone Roses last year, steepin' myself in the whole 90's Brit-pop scene, I sort of ran out of material to explore after not really liking Blur all that much. Recently though I've started digging into the Verve, after initially being somewhat hesitant due to the criminal over-saturation of Bittersweet Symphony across radio airwaves nationwide in the late 90's :).

I'm happy to say I've been really impressed so far. For a band labeled in North America as a one hit wonder, Urban Hymns is a really great pop-rock record.... Sonnet, Space and Time, Lucky Man, The Drugs Don't Work, The Rolling People, Weeping Willow-- some of these songs have a really classic vibe to them. Their earlier albums are pretty cool too, although they are of a somewhat different style. Storm in Heaven is a "shoe gazing" album, where it's all about the wall of sound... Blue and Make It 'Till Monday are my personal favs off that one. And I haven't touched A Northern Soul yet save for This Is Music, which rocks.

Sooooo, any fans? If not, I recommend you give 'em a glance if you like Oasis or Brit rock or whatever!

Edited by Ant

Hey dudes.

After really getting into Oasis and The Stone Roses last year, steepin' myself in the whole 90's Brit-pop scene, I sort of ran out of material to explore after not really liking Blur all that much. Recently though I've started digging into the Verve, after initially being somewhat hesitant due to the criminal over-saturation of Bittersweet Symphony across radio airwaves nationwide in the late 90's :).

I'm happy to say I've been really impressed so far. For a band labeled in North America as a one hit wonder, Urban Hymns is a really great pop-rock record.... Sonnet, Space and Time, Lucky Man, The Drugs Don't Work, The Rolling People, Weeping Willow-- some of these songs have a really classic vibe to them. Their earlier albums are pretty cool too, although they are of a somewhat different style. Storm in Heaven is a "shoe gazing" album, where it's all about the wall of sound... Blue and Make It 'Till Monday are my personal favs off that one. And I haven't touched A Northern Soul yet save for This Is Music, which rocks.

Sooooo, any fans? If not, I recommend you give 'em a glance if you like Oasis or Brit rock or whatever!

Well, they're better than Oasis.

One of the best Brit pop bands - ever.

Definitely one of my fav bands. Great tunes, especially from Urban Hymns, and Richard Ashcroft got some good ones from his solo albums as well.

I don't think they're better than Oasis but I'm looking forward to hearing new material from them this year.

As far as being better than Oasis, I guess I'll have to give them some more time before I can make that judgment call... there's something about Definitely Maybe and The Masterplan... plus the whole dynamic of the brothers... I just really dig that band :).

Cool to see some fans though. I see two at least two of you are European... nobody around hear seems to know of them till I mention Bittersweet Symphony :(.

As far as being better than Oasis, I guess I'll have to give them some more time before I can make that judgment call... there's something about Definitely Maybe and The Masterplan... plus the whole dynamic of the brothers... I just really dig that band :).

Cool to see some fans though. I see two at least two of you are European... nobody around hear seems to know of them till I mention Bittersweet Symphony :(.

I grew up in Europe, but I didn't hear of them until I saw The Girl Next Door in 2004. "Lucky Man" got me hooked.

2004 was when I started really getting into music, though - before that, I barely listened to anything.