I'm off to see the New York Dolls!!

Zint

Have a good time Zint.

Dirty Deeds,

I think Izzy was offered the job but turned it down at the last minute.

I only got into the Dolls recently when I saw the documentary "New York Doll" about Arthur "Killer" Kane.

Good movie with a sad ending.

Lucky bastard! Hope you have a great time :)

DirtyDeeds: if I remember correctly Izzy was offered "to be Johnny Thunders" for one show and accepted but when they decided to to a full tour he declined... Too bad, would have been cool to see although he has released a couple of great albums to compensate for it :D

What a great show!

I'll get to the review later,still have some shit to do.

Just wanted to address the Izzy thing quickly.

When Morissey approached the Dolls to reform,naturally they had to come up with some musicians for the band (not to play the part of anyone).

It was offered to Izzy,and it was looking like he was in,but he decided not to.

I don't think it had to do with Dolls' tour dates.

They hadn't even played the one show yet,and no one knew how that was going to go,let alone discuss a tour.

I don't think they started discussing other dates until all the positive feedback came in from the first show...plus afterwards the band knew they still had something valid to offer.

I'd be inclined to think that Izzy may have decided that filling in for Johnny's parts wasn't really up his alley.

I'd agree with that personally...I think he would have been better suited to Sylvain's parts

Subtle little nuances while providing the groove...that's more Izzy's style.

Anyway...regardless,Steve Conte has proven to be an excellent choice.

Not only did he fill the void well,he added a great flavour to the new material.

What a great show!

When Morissey approached the Dolls to reform,naturally they had to come up with some musicians for the band (not to play the part of anyone).

They hadn't even played the one show yet,and no one knew how that was going to go,let alone discuss a tour.

I don't think they started discussing other dates until all the positive feedback came in from the first show...plus afterwards the band knew they still had something valid to offer.

I'd be inclined to think that Izzy may have decided that filling in for Johnny's parts wasn't really up his alley.

I'd agree with that personally...I think he would have been better suited to Sylvain's parts

Not only did he fill the void well,he added a great flavour to the new material.

I don't have any source for what I said in my earlier post, but if I remember correctly it was from a chat with Duff and it was Duff who said that Izzy was all hyped and learning all the Dolls's songs because he was "going to be Johnny Thunders". So that was probably just Duff's way of saying it, and that's how I wrote it. I highly doubt that they wanted someone to "be" Johnny... Anyway this is just how I remember what I read and that was some time ago so I may have gotten things mixed up :P

And I agree, Izzy would most likely be a better fit for Sylvain's parts... He probably could have done Johnny's parts but I think he'd be much more comfortable with Sylvain's.

Anyway, glad you had a good time :) looking forward for the review...

EDIT: I found the interview with Duff I was referring to, it was posted in Chopaway's forum and the rest of my info came from the comments...

KNAC.COM: You… you-- I’m a big Johnny Thunders fan and…

McKAGAN: You and me both!

KNAC.COM: Yeah, and…

McKAGAN: Do you know that Izzy’s gonna be Johnny Thunders? The Dolls are doing a reunion next month…

KNAC.COM: I heard about that – that’s just so fucking amazing to me…

McKAGAN: Izzy just… he called me and he goes, (does Izzy imitation) “You’ll never believe, I got this call today, man… from Johansen… and, uh, he wants to do… they’re gonna do a Dolls reunion, and, uh, they want me to be Thunders… and, yeah, it’s like, wow…”

KNAC.COM: That’s so cool… and so perfect, too…

McKAGAN: Yeah, right? (Again as Izzy): ”So I learned the record, and, uh, yeah, uh, I got it down… and this should be a blast man!”

Edited by izzystradlin'

What a great show!

I don't have any source for what I said in my earlier post, but if I remember correctly it was from a chat with Duff and it was Duff who said that Izzy was all hyped and learning all the Dolls's songs because he was "going to be Johnny Thunders". So that was probably just Duff's way of saying it, and that's how I wrote it. I highly doubt that they wanted someone to "be" Johnny... Anyway this is just how I remember what I read and that was some time ago so I may have gotten things mixed up :P

And I agree, Izzy would most likely be a better fit for Sylvain's parts... He probably could have done Johnny's parts but I think he'd be much more comfortable with Sylvain's.

Anyway, glad you had a good time :) looking forward for the review...

EDIT: I found the interview with Duff I was referring to, it was posted in Chopaway's forum and the rest of my info came from the comments...

KNAC.COM: You… you-- I’m a big Johnny Thunders fan and…

McKAGAN: You and me both!

KNAC.COM: Yeah, and…

McKAGAN: Do you know that Izzy’s gonna be Johnny Thunders? The Dolls are doing a reunion next month…

KNAC.COM: I heard about that – that’s just so fucking amazing to me…

McKAGAN: Izzy just… he called me and he goes, (does Izzy imitation) “You’ll never believe, I got this call today, man… from Johansen… and, uh, he wants to do… they’re gonna do a Dolls reunion, and, uh, they want me to be Thunders… and, yeah, it’s like, wow…”

KNAC.COM: That’s so cool… and so perfect, too…

McKAGAN: Yeah, right? (Again as Izzy): ”So I learned the record, and, uh, yeah, uh, I got it down… and this should be a blast man!”

Bad wording on Duff's part with the "Izzy's gonna be Johnny Thunders" comment.

It doesn't seem to state why Izzy pulled out though.

That's cool that he'd learned the parts though!

I came across a David Johansen interview earlier tonight,

He was sceptical about the whole thing right through till almost the night of the concert.

They only had three rehearsals before the gig according to the interview.

That kind of confirms to me that Izzy didn't back out because of a Dolls' tour.

In fact,Steve Conte was already on guitar while David was still unsure if he wanted to do the reunion show.

It was only after the reunion gig that offers started to come in to play some festivals.

anyhoo..

here's a pic from the gig

newyorkdollstorontolb6.jpg

Edited by zint61

Bad wording on Duff's part with the "Izzy's gonna be Johnny Thunders" comment.

It doesn't seem to state why Izzy pulled out though.

That's cool that he'd learned the parts though!

I came across a David Johansen interview earlier tonight,

He was sceptical about the whole thing right through till almost the night of the concert.

They only had three rehearsals before the gig according to the interview.

That kind of confirms to me that Izzy didn't back out because of a Dolls' tour.

In fact,Steve Conte was already on guitar while David was still unsure if he wanted to do the reunion show.

It was only after the reunion gig that offers started to come in to play some festivals.

anyhoo..

here's a pic from the gig

newyorkdollstorontolb6.jpg

The day just got away from me...

I'll have to do the review tomorrow.

Nah, I though it did that but it was in one of the comments in the forum so it was probably only speculation...

Cool pic :)

Edited by izzystradlin'

Alrighty then.

It was a damn cool show!

Not a top ten fav,not musically brilliant....but damn cool!

Sometimes cool is the factor that can take a show where it needs to go.

The Dolls delivered cool ten fold!

(Did I mention it was cool?)

The opening band "We Are The Fury" were ok.

I actually found my head bobbing along a few times.

Clearly influenced by 70's glam,trash,underground they've attempted to tap into that vein.

Some style in their presence,the singer has the patented Jagger-esque poses down to a tee.

The worst thing an unknown opening band can do is come into town,hit the stage and spend half of their set asking the audience why they look bored and trying to convince them to come closer to the stage.

I gave up when they tried to get everyone to wave their arms back and forth over their heads.

Valiant effort,but will be back at the midnight shift at Burger Barn in a couple of years.

see ya....

The back drop was very punk rock,a black banner with the Dolls logo on it.Sleek,simple,effective.

They hit the stage and opened with Puss n Boots!!

Next up was Human Being!!

I mean COME ON!!...I could have left right there and had my ass properly blown off.

They sounded REALLY fuckin' good!

I don't recall the exact order of songs,but they started playing some of the songs off the One Day It Will Please Us cd...which was fine with me,I LOVE that cd!

It was a smooth transition into the new songs live,it was necessary,it validated why they were still around after the reunion show in 2004.

I think the new material is a fine statement of where the band is at today.

They played We're All In Love ( a KILLER song live!!),Fishnets and Cigarettes,and a personal fav Dancing on the Lip of a Volcano.I was pleasantly surprised to hear Volcano,it was excellent!Yet it got the least amount of response from the crowd.

There was a certain amount of people who were there clearly to hear the older material.

There was even one assclown,drunk out of his mind,REALLY pissed off and shouting at the top of his lungs because Johnny Thunders wasn't there....I mean...helloooo!

He just didn't seem to know that Johhny was dead.

The band was sloppy at times,tight as hell at times,it was scrappy...it was honest,it was real...it was very punk rock,and very old school at the same time.I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Music from the heart played with passion,that's what it's really all about.

Among the classics played...Looking For A Kiss,Trash,Pills,Jet Boy,Babylon.

Vietnamese Baby!!!!!!!!! (yes...fuckin yes!!...it was AWESOME!)

Private World was dedicated to Arhur Killer Kane!

The most poignant moment of the night was Sylvain coming out with an acoustic guitar and dedicating You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory to Johnny.David came over and put his arms on Sylvain's shoulders and they sang the chorus together.Then the song transgressed into Lonely Planet Boy.

Maaaan,that was beautiful.

It was great seeing Sylvain getting such great acknowledgement,he was really drinking it up.

I remember when his club tour came through town many years ago and there was about 10 people in the crowd.He was clearly loving every minute of this and the Doll's current recognition which is richly deserved.

He's just a cat who loves to make music,they all do clearly.They are great fucking band...still.

They way they've approached this,the emphasis on the music and what great fucking songs they have in their catalogue,works!

Oh yeah...they did a great version of Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart.

The low point for me was Rainbow Store...that sing doesn't quite work for me.

But a cool little moment in the song,they broke into the Dovells' song Bristol Stomp...not sure how many people knew that song...but I did,and it was cool to hear!

They encored with Personality Crisis and Gotta Get Away from Tommy.

A damn fine night out!

If you want to see music played from the heart,the real deal...check out this band if they head to your town.

Rock and roll isn't quite dead yet!

OH AND!!!!!!!!

The Dolls have a new cd!!

It's Live at The Fillmore East December 28 and 29 2007!

IT FUCKING ROCKS!

It's for sale exclusively at their shows (for the time being).

I played it on the drive home...totally worth getting if you're a fan!

dollscdan5.jpg

Edited by zint61

Here's a list of some upcoming shows.Worth seeing if they hit your area.

02/20 Cleveland, OH

02/22 Detroit, MI

02/23 Chicago, IL (SOLD OUT)

02/24 Minneapolis, MN

02/26 Denver, CO

02/28 Boise, ID

02/29 Portland, OR

03/01 Vancouver, CAN

03/02 Seattle, WA

03/05 San Francisco, CA

03/07 Los Angeles, CA

03/08 Las Vegas, NV

03/09 Anaheim, CA

03/10 Solana Beach, CA

I only got into the Dolls recently when I saw the documentary "New York Doll" about Arthur "Killer" Kane.

Good movie with a sad ending.

Hey Jonezy,not sure if you know,but there's a great companion piece to that documentary.

There's a dvd of the entire 2004 concert that Arthur is so excited about,and they are seen rehearsing for in the New York Doll documentary.

It's called

The return of the New York Dolls

Live from Royal Festival Hall 2004

It's quite good!

• 2 weeks later...

Zint wasn't lying when he was talking about the concert, it blew my expectation away! It was pretty much the same setlist as the one he posted. It really was a great show! I actually really liked the opener We Are the Fury. I met them before the show and they were really cool, so that might have had something to do with it, but I think they did phenomenally well for an opener. Go see this show if you get a chance! Tickets were only 16 bucks for this, completely worth it!

cool show huh??...glad you liked it!

Did you pick up the live cd?

I was in so much bliss from the show that I didn't remember about the cd until I got home last night. So I'm pretty disappointed about that. Their cover of the Joplin song was killer. Everything was great though so its hard for me to pick a "favorite moment."