Stooges perform for Madonna

metallic ko

Stooges usher Madonna into hall

March 11, 2008

So you want to shore up your rock and roll credentials?

Just grab the most rock and roll band around.

With typical flair and bravado, Madonna unleashed the Stooges on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an institution that has otherwise turned its back on the pioneering Detroit band. On a black-tie Monday evening at New York's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, the night's most dubious honoree delivered the night's most legitimate moment.

Iggy Pop and company careened through a pair of Madonna songs -- ripping the pop sheen right off of "Burning Up" and "Ray of Light" -- to consecrate their fellow Michigan icon's induction into the rock hall. The selection of pop queen Madonna had been criticized by many rock fans leading into Monday night, and the Stooges offered an ideal antidote.

It was the Stooges' moment of glory, but this was still Madonna's moment. Appearing moved and genuinely humbled, she gave a smart, classy induction speech that thanked those who had "fueled my dreams," such as Detroit dance teacher Christopher Flynn.

She looked back on a career that "feels like a career of 'suddenlys' " -- a journey in which "the universe would conspire to help me and guide me all the way up to this moment where I am standing in front of you."

Madonna brought metro Detroit's Hall of Fame tally to 16 acts -- more than 10% of the total rock hall roster. (And that's not even counting such passersby as Al Green and Del Shannon.)

"I'd now like to introduce another ass-kicker from Michigan," Madonna said as she presented Iggy and his band. The offbeat rendezvous of music legends was one that likely left many casual viewers wondering: What the heck just happened?

Here's what happened: Like many milestones throughout her storied quarter-century career, it was a brilliantly conceived, coolly played maneuver by the Rochester Hills-bred star.

It worked on multiple levels, tidily deflecting skepticism about the pop star's worthiness as a rock and roll immortal. The mere choice of the Stooges was the sort of subversive move that could only bolster Madonna's reputation for defying expectations -- and it doesn't get more rock and roll than that.

And that was before the band even hit the ballroom. Onstage, the group's hot, feisty set provided the most electric moment so far in what had been a relatively low-key night.

Madonna didn't just get to bask in the reflected rock grime of the Stooges. It also allowed her to serve a good cause The rock hall has rejected the Stooges six times since the band became eligible more than a decade ago.

Television viewers watching a commercial-free broadcast of the ceremony saw a smooth, leisurely paced ceremony that felt more like a peek into a private party than a traditional awards show. With honorees John Mellencamp and members of the Dave Clark Five waiting in the wings, Madonna's segment followed induction rites for the Ventures, Leonard Cohen and Gamble & Huff.

bildemp6.jpg

Edited by metallic ko

Iggy's 60.

For some reason I actually saw this. I came home from work, started flippin' through and I caught Madonna give some sort of speach (at first I didn't realize it was the RN'R HOF) and then sure enough she introduces Iggy and he comes on half naked jumpin' around like a fuckin' monkey. It was pretty hilarious to see an old man behaving that way. :rofl-lol:

I love "Material Girl".

Off Topic:

Your signature is extremely offensive.

Shouldn't be.. the lyrics are actually 'mocking' discrimination of people who aren't "majority" and and the same time pointing out how ridiculous the word is.. The word "nigg€r" is a disregarding word towards black people.. In that song it's a methaphor for any kind of despise. Jesus was despised.. Patti Smith probably was/is too. :).

And Batman.. it's not Marilyn Manson, it's Patti Smith.

Edited by pet0

I love "Material Girl".

Off Topic:

Shouldn't be.. the lyrics are actually 'mocking' discrimination of people who aren't "majority" and and the same time pointing out how ridiculous the word is.. The word "nigg€r" is a stupid word for despising black people. Jesus was despised.. Patti Smith probably was/is too. :).

Just my opinion, that is all.

On topic:

I caught Madonna's acceptance speech and performance the other nite. Personally, I was mostly bored with the performance, but the speech was excellant and very interesting.

I love "Material Girl".

Off Topic:

Shouldn't be.. the lyrics are actually 'mocking' discrimination of people who aren't "majority" and and the same time pointing out how ridiculous the word is.. The word "nigg€r" is a stupid word for despising black people. Jesus was despised.. Patti Smith probably was/is too. :).

Just my opinion, that is all.

Do you think Lithium is perhaps using it for the wrong reasons? Otherwise I don't understand how it could be offending.. It's kinda like saying "I'm a slut"; making fun of how stupid the word is and how there's nothing wrong with being 'that'. And I am a slut -> I like casual sex :).

Edit: actually.. actually I do understand how you could find it offending.. the song could be hate song about Jimi, Jesus and some granny using the n-word as an insult.

I somehow assumed it'd be obivious that it's not racist lyrics but it's not really.. But anyway, it's not, read up about the song if you don't believe me :P. The title is "Rock N' Roll Nigg€r" and it's by Patti Smith. I dont' know what Lithiums motives are for using those lines though.

Edited by pet0

By the way, I'm a huge, huge Stooges/Iggy Pop fan - but those were awful performances and it was really awkward to watch.

definitely...

I'm all about musicians shaking things up and venturing into unchartered territory....but that just blew.

(the best part was Madonna's face,she didn't know if what was happening was cool,or if they were taking the piss out of her...that was fun!)