Bowie, David

Punos

I just started getting into David Bowie recently. Amazing stuff. I like Ziggy Stardust and China Girl. I can see now how Mechanical Animals was influenced by Bowie. I can't believe he released stuff all the way back in 1969.

Ziggy played guitar...

I think he's really good, in saying that though, I only have a "Best Of" collection. I enjoy it endlessly though, so I really should check out some real albums.

Fave tracks are: Rebel Rebel, Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust, Rock N' Roll Suicide and The Prettiest Star.

I think I'd enjoy his more "rock n roll" albums perhaps rather than his more experimental stuff, any suggestions?

Holy crap just reading on Wiki that Space Oddity has heaps of Stylophone in it :lol:, I didn't know that. We have one of them around here, I don't think it works anymore though.

Edited by FunkyMonk

Fuck yeah, who doesn't like Bowie?

I've grown up with glam era Bowie, personally, and I've loved his songs for as long as I can remember. I remember sitting on the floor playing, while my dad listened to Diamond Dogs; great times. ^_^

As my musical taste has matured, I've started to dig deeper into Bowie's stuff - like "Heroes", for instance. "Heroes" has got to be one of the most interesting albums I've heard. The sound of it is brilliant; it's just so different from everything else that was going on at the time, from everything else too, for that matter.

There's no denying the brilliance of his glam albums either. Some months ago, whilst bored out of my mind at school, I made a list of my top 20 concept albums, and I came to the conclusion that The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars was at, I believe, number 8, putting it in front of such albums as Freak Out!, The Dark Side of the Moon and Animals.

The albums following the Berlin Trilogy got really boring, though - Never Let Me Down, for example. :no:

Edited by Lithium

There's no denying the brilliance of his glam albums either. Some months ago, whilst bored out of my mind at school, I made a list of my top 20 concept albums, and I came to the conclusion that The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars was at, I believe, number 8, putting it in front of such albums as Freak Out!, The Dark Side of the Moon and Animals.

:o You must know some pretty amazing concept albums if Ziggy Stardust was only at 8!

i was recently converted to Bowie. Starman did it. never realised it but its so obvious when you think about it that Jean Genie is about one of my heroes Monsieur Ig' of Pop :) adore the stuff he did with Ig'. but fuck man, Ig' is that good you could record him brushing his teeth and scratching his scrot' and i'd buy the CD :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite

i was recently converted to Bowie. Starman did it. never realised it but its so obvious when you think about it that Jean Genie is about one of my heroes Monsieur Ig' of Pop :) adore the stuff he did with Ig'. but fuck man, Ig' is that good you could record him brushing his teeth and scratching his scrot' and i'd buy the CD :lol:

Bowie later admitted that he kind of "used" Iggy to explore his own sound for The Idiot and Lust for Life. Iggy was sort of his guinea pig in a way, but it worked brilliantly. If you listen to the Berlin Trilogy and then Iggy's solo albums you can definitely hear it. Iggy's vocals even started to emulate Bowie's more than they had before (he abandoned the snarl of the Stooges' album and took on kind of a deeper melodic tone). They should have worked together longer - Iggy's solo albums tend to be as good as the people he's collaborating with. Remember Skull Ring? Sum41 should have never been let near The Father of Punk.

i used to point this out quite a bit early on, although i phrased it more as Bowie leeching offa Iggy. used to get panned for it on this forum :lol: thats a very interesting observation about Iggys work and it only being as good as his collaborators. i would go THAT far but theres definitely something in that observation :) i just find him to be such a character and such a good lyricist (this escapes a lot of people because they fail to see the humor and irony in a lot of it) and he has such a sense of...for want of a better term a good groove (sort of Chilli Pepperish in that respect) that he can carry entire albums off.

• 3 weeks later...

For Bowie fans who haven't seen it - A Bowie interview on the Dick Cavett show from 1974 (Diamond Dogs era). You don't see this stuff these days. Our boy is F'd up. LOL! It's so obvious that it's kinda funny. Eh - perhaps David had a cold. Anyway - for those interested:

Edited by Ions

Fuck yeah, who doesn't like Bowie?

I've grown up with glam era Bowie, personally, and I've loved his songs for as long as I can remember. I remember sitting on the floor playing, while my dad listened to Diamond Dogs; great times. ^_^

As my musical taste has matured, I've started to dig deeper into Bowie's stuff - like "Heroes", for instance. "Heroes" has got to be one of the most interesting albums I've heard. The sound of it is brilliant; it's just so different from everything else that was going on at the time, from everything else too, for that matter.

The albums following the Berlin Trilogy got really boring, though - Never Let Me Down, for example. :no:

i cant get in to him bar a few songs "rebel rebel" "five years" "thursdays child" "andy warhol"