Tha Carter III

Lithium

It's strange that this album hasn't gotten its own thread yet, considering that it was one of the most anticipated albums of 2008. I know there's a handful of people who listen to rap on this board - so, what do those of you who have heard it think of it?

I think all the hype of the album itself is well-deserved. The production is what I enjoy the most; there's a large group of people who produced it (people like Cool & Dre, Kanye West, T-Pain and Lil' Wayne's mentor, Birdman), which is what contributes to the real beauty of the album - the variety. The standout track on Tha Carter III, for me, is "Mr. Carter", Jay-Z's (:heart:) part is terrific, and the chorus is by far the best on the entire album.

This album is great, I think most people who listen to rap can concur on that statement, but I think Lil' Wayne get way too much praising. I mean, he's a good musician, but calling him the best rapper of the 2000s is an overstatement.

Edited by Lithium

I decided to download it off a torrent site. I'll give it a listen. Really, I know nothing about this guy other than the fact he sold a million albums a few weeks ago. I've sort of given up on new rap. I'll always buy Eminem, Outkast, and Dr Dre albums though. It seems to me that current rap has become bloated like 80's hair metal.

I miss the days of Outkast's Southerplayalistic and Tupac's All Eyez On Me.

Edited by Randy Lahey

It's one of the better rap albums of the new millenium, definitely. "I'm Me" is a killer track. He's not the best rapper alive, though. Jay-Z and Nas are both head and shoulders above him in terms of the mainstream, and as far as hip-hop goes, I prefer Kanye. And the underground has a lot of gems, too -- Talib Kweli and Atmosphere, for example. When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold is a bizarre sort of rap/hip-hop/electronic dance mix.

It's one of the better rap albums of the new millenium, definitely. "I'm Me" is a killer track. He's not the best rapper alive, though. Jay-Z and Nas are both head and shoulders above him in terms of the mainstream, and as far as hip-hop goes, I prefer Kanye. And the underground has a lot of gems, too -- Talib Kweli and Atmosphere, for example. When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold is a bizarre sort of rap/hip-hop/electronic dance mix.

Atmosphere is my favorite out there right now. Pretty much everything they put out is solid. "Paint it gold" is only rap album i have bought this year.

Edited by steve-o

I don't think he's the best rapper alive, but he does what he's supposed to do (which is make rap that people will listen to and pay for) well. Besides Lil' Wayne is mostly about image, and I mean it's kinda funny how such a weird looking guy is actually pretty sexy only cuz of his fuck it all attitude.

I actually really do like his music, and some of his songs are pretty amazing while others are crap just like everyone else. And, Mr. Carter :heart: is my fav, mainly due to Jay-Z, but whatever. If you don't like him I suggest you listen to 'I'm me'. Alot of his earlier stuff like 'fuck tha world' and mixtapes where he raps over other beats are better.

Aaaanyways, I think his voice is original and if he can make a rap career out of it congrats to him.

I prefer Lupe Fiasco's freestyles, and Immortal Technique is amazing. :wub:

EDIT: Besides his lyrics say it all, he doesn't give a shit about the people who don't like him.

Edited by VeronicaBlonde

the greatest rapper, or MC i should say, in both a technical and rhythmic sense is Notorious BIG followed closely by Eminem. Big L is up there, as is Slick Rick, Jay Z (not especially fond of him but he deserves the respect he gets purely for that Biggiesque sense of rhythm he has where its...flow in the purest sense of the word, not like y'know, rhyming the words at the end of each line and thats it, its like...interlocking rhymes with a distinct rhythm which he can both stick to and weave in and out of...Biggie was a master at this...Eminem too although he can be a little disjointed at times.

a good current rapper to check out is a fella named Papoose. Immortal Technique is boring, the college boys favorite rapper.

Edited by ffrankwhite

Immortal Technique is boring, the college boys favorite rapper.

:lol: Just one of the many rapper enjoy, however I do agree with you that he is boring... You a fan of Canibus?

Bis is brilliant lyrically, Bis has a few problems altogether. firstly he's entirely too self aware.

secondly, he went too fast jumping into that whole battling with LL thing (even though i truly believe that he beat LL in the battle between them, the only problem is real hip hop heads judge real proper club battles or underground battles on lyrical merit but when this sort of thing is played out in front of the general mainstream public, they dont give a shit about no hip hop ethics, they just judge based on who they like most/whoose more popular, which is fucking stupid. i mean seriously, Nelly battling KRS One and then Nelly winning? PLEEEEEEEEASE..)

thirdly, Bis has no personality, theres no hook there, theres nothing to pull you in...talent is great but to a point in hip hop you have to have character.

fourth, his production was a little weak on those early releases and it just stuck to him. you dont get too many shots at making good, especially when theres such hype on you early on as there was with Canibus, that 2000 BC album, that second album, that was his fuckin point to make good...he didnt

fifth, he took it upon himself to call out Eminem...dead in the water. Once the teenyboppers got a reason to dislike you thats your career over with in any overground sense, notwithstanding a miracle. and Eminem handled him good too, "make this brief and keep shit simple, Can-a-bitch dont want no beef with Slim, noooo, not even on my radar, so wont you please jump off my dick lay off and stay off" Em' is so smart, didnt even give him an entire song, kinda playing with the notion that his career splutter started and that kinda messed with his game some. that was just it, like you aint even on my level...and usually Slim will fucking call any and everybody out so when he does that to somebody its like, wow, he must really be a punk if Em' aint even chewin' him no further..

all this aside i have all his albums up until something Mic, can't remember what, Mic Club or something, i genuinely liked him from very early on, with that Fantastic Four track and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..

Edited by ffrankwhite

Immortal Technique is boring, the college boys favorite rapper.

:lol: Just one of the many rapper enjoy, however I do agree with you that he is boring... You a fan of Canibus?

Bis is brilliant lyrically, Bis has a few problems altogether. firstly he's entirely too self aware.

secondly, he went too fast jumping into that whole battling with LL thing (even though i truly believe that he beat LL in the battle between them, the only problem is real hip hop heads judge real proper club battles or underground battles on lyrical merit but when this sort of thing is played out in front of the general mainstream public, they dont give a shit about no hip hop ethics, they just judge based on who they like most/whoose more popular, which is fucking stupid. i mean seriously, Nelly battling KRS One and then Nelly winning? PLEEEEEEEEASE..)

thirdly, Bis has no personality, theres no hook there, theres nothing to pull you in...talent is great but to a point in hip hop you have to have character.

fourth, his production was a little weak on those early releases and it just stuck to him. you dont get too many shots at making good, especially when theres such hype on you early on as there was with Canibus, that 2000 BC album, that second album, that was his fuckin point to make good...he didnt

fifth, he took it upon himself to call out Eminem...dead in the water. Once the teenyboppers got a reason to dislike you thats your career over with in any overground sense, notwithstanding a miracle. and Eminem handled him good too, "make this brief and keep shit simple, Can-a-bitch dont want no beef with Slim, noooo, not even on my radar, so wont you please jump off my dick lay off and stay off" Em' is so smart, didnt even give him an entire song, kinda playing with the notion that his career splutter started and that kinda messed with his game some. that was just it, like you aint even on my level...and usually Slim will fucking call any and everybody out so when he does that to somebody its like, wow, he must really be a punk if Em' aint even chewin' him no further..

all this aside i have all his albums up until something Mic, can't remember what, Mic Club or something, i genuinely liked him from very early on, with that Fantastic Four track and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..

I agree.

Canibus won that battle.

He shouldn't undertook it, though.....it fucked up his career.

I love Lil' Wayne. I'm almost definite he has a ghost writer for everything he does, but he can spit rhymes like no other. His music really hypes me up!

GO DJ! was his best song IMO. I own Baller Blockin DVD. He makes a horrible actor. Always glancing at the camera....

Cash Money was the hottest group. Too bad they couldn't stay togehter. Seems to happen with most good groups...

Edited by chinesewhat

the greatest rapper, or MC i should say, in both a technical and rhythmic sense is Notorious BIG followed closely by Eminem. Big L is up there, as is Slick Rick, Jay Z (not especially fond of him but he deserves the respect he gets purely for that Biggiesque sense of rhythm he has where its...flow in the purest sense of the word, not like y'know, rhyming the words at the end of each line and thats it, its like...interlocking rhymes with a distinct rhythm which he can both stick to and weave in and out of...Biggie was a master at this...Eminem too although he can be a little disjointed at times.

a good current rapper to check out is a fella named Papoose. Immortal Technique is boring, the college boys favorite rapper.

The first name that came to my mind when I read "greatest rapper" was Slick Rick as well. Lodi dodi indeed!

Big L was wicked. Too bad he wasn't very prolific.

The first name that came to my mind when I read "greatest rapper" was Slick Rick as well. Lodi dodi indeed!

I grew up in regent park which means i grew up around all that old school rap so thats all i heard most of my life. Then they moved us to jane and finch so now all i hear is new stuff like lil wayne and all of them because thats whats popular now.

But i dont really care what i listen to as long as its good, and obviously biggie and eminem are better.

Edited by VeronicaBlonde

Wayne is overrated, and so is this album.

Listen to the new Three 6 Mafia album for some real gangster shit.

No way!!

After they won the "Oscar", it has been downhill ever since.

Have you heard the new album? I was surprised.

Their old shit is definitely a lot better, no doubt about that though.