Jay Z Sticks It To Gallagher, Doubters

mahimahi

I'm not a big fan of Jay-Z, but this was pretty funny. I think he handled this great.

Watch video of the performance here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7P3MY384B4

By Shaheem Reid, with reporting by Seema Patel

A reported 100,000 fans and one Greatest MC of All Time, holding a ... guitar? Jay-Z commanding a huge crowd is a sight we've grown accustomed to over the past decade-plus, but doing it with a guitar strapped to his shoulder is a new one. Sir Hov of Brooklyn headlined the Glastonbury Festival on Saturday, and one of the highlights was Jay doing his own rendition of Oasis' "Wonderwall."

"Today is gonna be the day/ That they're gonna throw it back to you/ By now, you should've somehow/ Realized what you gotta do."

Of course, all of this was in response to Oasis leader Noel Gallagher's comments criticizing Jay as headliner of the traditionally rock-based festival.

"That's my sense of humor," Jay told MTV Base. "I have a sense of humor like a Brit, so I thought people would appreciate that. Noel Gallagher was one of the biggest detractors, so I figured that was a cool way to start the show."

A few weeks back, Gallagher had scoffed at the announcement of Jay's headlining slot.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it," the Oasis guitarist told the BBC. "I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? No chance. Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music. I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong."

"It didn't make me angry because I don't know him," Jay told MTV Base. "What people say about you is none of your business." Jay also said he plays "Wonderwall" a lot at his 40/40 Club on Friday nights, and it always goes over well with the crowd — that's how he knew the words so well.

However, when it came to fellow Glastonbury performer Amy Winehouse's dis of Jay's friend Kanye West, the Jiggaman quipped he wanted to make peace.

"She said something about Kanye late on [in her set] but I didn't hear it," he said. "I don't agree with it. He's my brother and the biggest artist on Roc-A-Fella right now. ... I guess I should hook them up, because he's a great guy, too. I don't know what the problem is. I don't know where that came from."

But even with the mild bit of controversy, nothing could overshadow Jay's night. The performance has been lauded by critics, and footage on the Internet shows that the fans were heavily into it as well.

"It went amazing," Jay beamed. "It was a historic night for Glastonbury and for myself. It's the first time a hip-hop act had headlined. It was one of those nervous moments right before I went on, and I haven't had that feeling in a long time. In front of [100,000] people, it was this great thing."

"Of course," he continued when asked if he would come back. "It was incredible. I'm glad it went that way, 'cause the world was watching. ... We get sounds from all over the world. It's the universal language. It's not about genres. It's about good music and bad music. There's sh-- rap music, sh-- rock and roll, bullsh-- country music and there's horrible jazz. There's brilliant jazz — Miles Davis! Brilliant rock — Coldplay. And there's brilliant rap — Jigga!"

Edited by mahimahi

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Z is one of the more annoying artists in the world IMO. Never seen a Gallagher interview where I wasn't pissing myself laughing :lol:

Why do you find Jay-Z annoying? I think you are more likely to hear people call Noel Gallagher, who isn't malicious like Liam, yet loves to kiss his own ass, more annoying.

Noel is the funniest guy in rock music.

Jay-Z > Oasis.

I cant believe what i just read.

Just look at the guy's name, he obviously has a shit taste in music

Oasis are terribly over-rated, except for about 2 albums. However, Jay-Z was really entertaining at Glastonbury and I think most people here are just shunning him because he is a hip-hop artist.

And don't get me defending Led Zeppelin, cause I probably won't shut the fuck up for an hour or so.

you listen to an oasis b-side and it pretty much destroys Jay Z's entire back catalogue.

so what if noel thinks jay z shouldnt play glastonbury.

he was average at best, the verve put on the best show - FACT.

You're joking right?

Jay-Z has at least 3 albums that are considered "landmark" albums in his genre.

Can Oasis say that?

you listen to an oasis b-side and it pretty much destroys Jay Z's entire back catalogue.

You're joking right?

Can Oasis say that?

Yes they can :)

Grimo.

You're joking right?

Can Oasis say that?

Yes they can :)

Grimo.

No way.

Maybe 2 at the most, but the rest of Oasis output is just above mediocre.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Jay-Z > Oasis.

Oasis are terribly over-rated, except for about 2 albums. However, Jay-Z was really entertaining at Glastonbury and I think most people here are just shunning him because he is a hip-hop artist.

And don't get me defending Led Zeppelin, cause I probably won't shut the fuck up for an hour or so.

I'm shunning him cause he's a BAD hip-hop artist. Get Dead Prez or Mos Def in front of me and fuck yes piss in my mouth I'll be front row, he just makes annoying ass generic music, never spat anything profound or thought provoking or even cool for that matter.

Jay-Z > Oasis.

I'm shunning him cause he's a BAD hip-hop artist. Get Dead Prez or Mos Def in front of me and fuck yes piss in my mouth I'll be front row, he just makes annoying ass generic music, never spat anything profound or thought provoking or even cool for that matter.

you dont have to be profound or thought provoking to be talented. his rhymes are incredible. just on a technical level he is second to none. but yeah, gimme Oasis anyway anyhow anywhere..

Can Oasis say that?

Oasis were leaders of an entire movement in music in the mid 90s...can Jay Z say that??? no, alls Jay Z can say is that he, along with Nas fill the void left by Biggie and Pac...inadequately at that..

Edited by ffrankwhite

Jay-Z > Oasis.

It's okay. To be honest, they're very similar artists if you think about it. Both are well-regarded for being unique within mainstream music that is saturated with both of their genres (Rap and Rock).

It's just that Jay-Z trumps anything Oasis has ever done. There's a reason they have to say that their new album "has no hits" because they're trying to reclaim an audience that they lost a while ago.

Even if Jay's rendition of Wonderwall was ass, the original is the most overplayed sap-crap rock song ever. Right up there with something Air Supply would've released.

I'm not going to debate about Zeppelin, because there were a ton of bands that could've given them a run for their money in their day. Oasis thinks they're the only band around, and they can think that all they want. Jay-Z is ignorant, but he helps a shitload of artists get off their feet and still produces pretty damn good albums. When Oasis finally admits that their shit stinks too, then maybe they'll produce good music, instead of forcing themselves to believe they are saviors.

Jay-Z > Oasis.

you dont have to be profound or thought provoking to be talented. his rhymes are incredible. just on a technical level he is second to none. but yeah, gimme Oasis anyway anyhow anywhere..

Can Oasis say that?

Oasis were leaders of an entire movement in music in the mid 90s...can Jay Z say that??? no, alls Jay Z can say is that he, along with Nas fill the void left by Biggie and Pac...inadequately at that..

And you don't think that was important.

I'm not going to get into a debate with you.

I'll just leave it at this.

If we judge their entire body of work objectively, Jay-Z wins.

He has never released a album that is regarded as "sub-par."

Oasis has.

Jay-Z has been relevant since he dropped his debut album.

Has Oasis?

For awhile, Jay-Z was regarded as the best rapper alive, and is still considered Top 5.

Has Oasis really ever been really considered the best rock band on the planet? I mean even when they were huge, there were alot people in their own country that prefered Blur.

Edit: By the way, I think some alot people argure that the Stone Roses really got that movement going.

Edited by SunnyDRE