Jay Z Sticks It To Gallagher, Doubters

mahimahi

I haven't posted on this forum in I don't know how long (although I have lurked more recently) but some of the bullshit in this thread made me want to post - so congrats on that.

Oasis are huge in the UK and most of the rest of the world.

In the UK all six of their original material albums hit Number 1. Radiohead have never done that. The two compilation disks (Masterplan and Stop the Clocks) peaked at 2 and their live album peaked at 5.

They've also had 8 number 1 singles and 21 top 20 hits in total in the UK.

When they played Knebworth in the mid-90s they sold 250,000 tickets in an hour. For a decade it was the biggest selling concert this island had seen.

When Oasis tour the UK next year you try and get decent tickets. It's nigh-on impossible. In 2004 during their last tour they sold 20,000 tickets in under a minute. People pay 2-3x market value for an Oasis ticket and that's when they are playing 50,000+ stadiums.

You watch the UK album release schedule empty up in October this year. No one will release around the time of Oasis because they won't sell. They dominate the UK market. They are guaranteed another number 1 album and at least 2 more number 1 singles. They barely even promote their albums any more beyond touring. Noel and Liam haven't done an interview together in years.

I'm an Oasis fan so sure I'm bias but for a brief period in the mid 90s they were the biggest band in the world. When Be Here Now was released the hype was unreal. It was the last album people queued up to buy at midnight and it's still the fastest selling UK album ever.

They even had one of their tribute bands crack the UK top 40. Wikipedia or YouTube the band - No Way Sis. That's never happened before or since as far as I know.

They released two stellar albums which are permanently placed in the top 5 UK albums ever (and you have some competition for that).

Oasis were big in the US but not huge compared to elsewhere in the world.

Morning Glory went 4x Platinum in the US alone and peaked at 4. Be Here Now went platinum and peaked at 2 in the album charts and even Don't Believe the Truth peaked at 12. For a British band in the mid-90s to be going 4x Platinum on an album was unheard of. And they did it with very little regard for the US. They didn't tour that much - partly cos the tours kept falling apart midway and they never promoted their albums hard in the US. They are local boys, they aren't interested in what goes on in the States.

And here's why they never cared about the States, it's because of their global record sales: Morning Glory's 20 million worldwide and Oasis 60 million albums in total. For the sake of comparison Jay Z who has released more albums I believe ain't done anywhere near that. 50 million albums and singles combined worldwide by the way.

Who is bigger? Oasis. And that's before I've even started on the cultural and political influence they had on the UK.

But for the record I enjoyed Jay Z at Glastonbury. He put on an amazing show and was brave for putting his reputation on the line in front of an audience which was out of his comfort zone. Fair play to the guy. He just ain't a Gallagher.

Edited by Gigger

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest knerken

Jay-Z is cool. Oasis is cool. Hova's Wonderwall was and was meant to be awful, but funny.

Oasis was big in the 90's and dated, but still respected today, while Jay-Z still is popular among both kids and older music-lovers.

I haven't posted on this forum in I don't know how long (although I have lurked more recently) but some of the bullshit in this thread made me want to post - so congrats on that.

In the UK all six of their original material albums hit Number 1. Radiohead have never done that. The two compilation disks (Masterplan and Stop the Clocks) peaked at 2 and their live album peaked at 5.

When they played Knebworth in the mid-90s they sold 250,000 tickets in an hour. For a decade it was the biggest selling concert this island had seen.

When Oasis tour the UK next year you try and get decent tickets. It's nigh-on impossible. In 2004 during their last tour they sold 20,000 tickets in under a minute. People pay 2-3x market value for an Oasis ticket and that's when they are playing 50,000+ stadiums.

You watch the UK album release schedule empty up in October this year. No one will release around the time of Oasis because they won't sell. They dominate the UK market. They are guaranteed another number 1 album and at least 2 more number 1 singles. They barely even promote their albums any more beyond touring. Noel and Liam haven't done an interview together in years.

I'm an Oasis fan so sure I'm bias but for a brief period in the mid 90s they were the biggest band in the world. When Be Here Now was released the hype was unreal. It was the last album people queued up to buy at midnight and it's still the fastest selling UK album ever.

They even had one of their tribute bands crack the UK top 40. Wikipedia or YouTube the band - No Way Sis. That's never happened before or since as far as I know.

They released two stellar albums which are permanently placed in the top 5 UK albums ever (and you have some competition for that).

Morning Glory went 4x Platinum in the US alone and peaked at 4. Be Here Now went platinum and peaked at 2 in the album charts and even Don't Believe the Truth peaked at 12. For a British band in the mid-90s to be going 4x Platinum on an album was unheard of. And they did it with very little regard for the US. They didn't tour that much - partly cos the tours kept falling apart midway and they never promoted their albums hard in the US. They are local boys, they aren't interested in what goes on in the States.

And here's why they never cared about the States, it's because of their global record sales: Morning Glory's 20 million worldwide and Oasis 60 million albums in total. For the sake of comparison Jay Z who has released more albums I believe ain't done anywhere near that. 50 million albums and singles combined worldwide by the way.

Who is bigger? Oasis. And that's before I've even started on the cultural and political influence they had on the UK.

My Response:

Oasis aren't big in US, and they were only for about a year. Period.

I live in the US so I don't care about the UK.

This debate reminds me of Muse debates. Muse are big.........but not in the states.

By the way, those polls you mention were Oasis 2 albums consistently rank in the Top 5..........isn't Radiohead's "OK Computer" usually #1 or #2?

Edited by SunnyDRE

I edited my post.

When I was stationed there (2000-2003) they weren't. Radiohead (around the time, before the release of Kid A) owned every band including Oasis as far as media and public was concern.

Morning Glory was a big seller, but OK Computer is consistently ahead of that album on every poll, by critics and fans.

Morning Glory is one of the best albums ever. It's the best album since Appetite For Destruction, in my opinion. Radiohead are a good band though.

I think it's a great album, but I prefer Definitely Maybe.

And you don't think that was important.

I'm not going to get into a debate with you.

I'll just leave it at this.

If we judge their entire body of work objectively, Jay-Z wins.

He has never released a album that is regarded as "sub-par."

Oasis has.

Jay-Z has been relevant since he dropped his debut album.

Has Oasis?

For awhile, Jay-Z was regarded as the best rapper alive, and is still considered Top 5.

Has Oasis really ever been really considered the best rock band on the planet? I mean even when they were huge, there were alot people in their own country that prefered Blur.

Edit: By the way, I think some alot people argure that the Stone Roses really got that movement going.

I agree completely. Summed it up pretty much.

If we're to compare the artists in their own genre, Oasis is so far under Jay Z's radar, it's not even funny. Since Jay Z's debut, and to this very second, he's considered one of the greatest ever. That's 12 years of him basically putting out classic and landmark albums one after another, selling out stadiums in minutes, being one of the hottest topics in his genre and always staying relevant.

Oasis is nowhere close to those achievements in their genre. Fuck it, if it hasn't been for Galagher's big fucking mouth, the band members would only see magazine headlines when they die.

Like I said. Galagher thinks he's 24 and still a big star. When obviously he's a pathetic joke trying to rely on his shithole of a mouth to get some press.

My Response:

Oasis aren't big in US, and they were only for about a year. Period.

I agree in the main but it was over a year. More like two. It was the 95-97 period. Morning Glory sold 4 million and was released in 95 and Be Here Now, released in 97, sold 1 million in the States and peaked at 2 in the album charts - that isn't bad for a little band and Oasis still have no problem selling out big US cities. Look at their MSG gig a few years back - sold out in minutes.

I live in the US so I don't care about the UK.

Yeah why should you? :rolleyes:

By the way, those polls you mention were Oasis 2 albums consistently rank in the Top 5..........isn't Radiohead's "OK Computer" usually #1 or #2?

So what's your point? Is it that OK Computer is better than any of Oasis output? Is it that Radiohead are better/bigger/critically acclaimed (delete as appropriate) than Oasis? They are all different arguments. I thought we were discussing who was bigger Jay Z or Oasis? To which the answer is Oasis.

For the record i think OK Computer is better than everything Oasis did but Definitely Maybe but it's marginal. I know Radiohead were more original and are better musicians. I think creatively Radiohead were better than Oasis. Radiohead are slightly more critically acclaimed but again it's marginal. However Oasis were bigger - record sales, concert sales etc prove that. Plain and simple. Just like you may think Jay Z is better/more original/critically acclaimed but Oasis were bigger.

Edited by Gigger

The fact is, Glastonbury is, has always been, and will forever be a ROCK festival.

V would have Jay Z, T in the park would, Reading and Leeds would certainly stock up on the number of bottles they would sell if he played their, but Glastonbury. Tssk, I bet a good 50000, if not more of the crowd turned up just because of all the controversy.

Any, and I mean ANY oasis song could defeat Jay Z's whole back catalogue.

And for all those who think otherwise, well smack me down with a bacon butty, you need to go back to the drawing board guys, as you are going so fucking wrong in life.

I edited my post.

When I was stationed there (2000-2003) they weren't. Radiohead (around the time, before the release of Kid A) owned every band including Oasis as far as media and public was concern.

Morning Glory was a big seller, but OK Computer is consistently ahead of that album on every poll, by critics and fans.

Morning Glory is one of the best albums ever. It's the best album since Appetite For Destruction, in my opinion. Radiohead are a good band though.

I think it's a great album, but I prefer Definitely Maybe.

So do I. Those 2 albums are part of the soundtrack to my life. Oasis has been my favorite band since GNR disappeared. I'm celebrating my birthday at an Oasis show in Vancouver this year. Radiohead is playing a few weeks before but I could only get the time off to go to one, and I chose Oasis. It was a no brainer. I can go to an Oasis gig, get drunk, and sing along to all the songs. That's what it's all about for me.

Edited by Randy Lahey

This debate reminds me of Muse debates. Muse are big.........but not in the states.

who gives a shit if a band is big in the us?

album sales mean fuck all, but in oasis' case the numbers are there.

the best music has always and will always come from britain - FACT

the best music scenes have always been in britain - FACT

the most important bands come from britain - FACT

the US market is difficult to crack because its filled with horrendous shit, it's where the money is, and certainly has no bearing on an artist or musicians credibility ffs. Oasis never tried to succeed in the US, and liam especially couldnt give a fuck, and despite that Oasis have a very comfortable fan base in the US - FACT

you are clearly an idiot who knows very little.

the US market is difficult to crack because its filled with horrendous shit, it's where the money is, and certainly has no bearing on an artist or musicians credibility ffs. Oasis never tried to succeed in the US, and liam especially couldnt give a fuck, and despite that Oasis have a very comfortable fan base in the US - FACT

ROCK N ROLL invented in America, by a bunch of black people - Fact.

Even all your UK heroes admit that, idiot. - Fact

Funny how when a band can't break the US, their fans pretend like the US doesn't matter. You are the idiot if you don't think Oasis don't wish they weren't bigger in the over here. - Fact

Culture is the US's biggest industry and export (TIME), every band wants to break the US - Fact

Edited by SunnyDRE

Even all your UK heroes admit that, idiot.

Nuff said.

clutching at straws there, what utter desperation.

please calm down.

Most of my favorite bands are from the UK. The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Zeppelin, Cream, and Oasis to name but a few.

Oasis could have been bigger over here if they acted nice and completed their tour for Morning Glory. It's your guys loss as far as I'm concerned. Noel and Liam could give a shit.

The Sex Pistols couldnt even play their instruments and were downright awful in the US.

it doesnt change the fact that with one album they made history, and are one of the most important bands of all time.

Oasis have been the best rock n roll band for almost 15 years, this is my opinion, and many will agree.

to dismiss a band because they werent HUGE (even though they were for while) in YOUR country is downright arrogant and hilariously embarrassing on your behalf, I feel sorry for you.

you've made me giggle though, Thanks.

Edited by SolidSnake

The Sex Pistols couldnt even play their instruments and were downright awful in the US.

it doesnt change the fact that with one album they made history, and are one of the most important bands of all time.

Oasis have been the best rock n roll band for almost 15 years, this is my opinion, and many will agree.

to dismiss a band because they werent HUGE (even though they were for while) in YOUR country is downright arrogant and hilariously embarrassing on your behalf, I feel sorry for you.

You mean the same way you have dismissed Jay-Z?

I always love it when people come into to rap threads and comment on it, when they don't even listen to it or know more than 5 acts in the genre.

You like Oasis fine, but the aren't relevant in the US and haven't been for over 15 years. I live in the US, the country that pretty much invents culture.

Edited by SunnyDRE

If it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have even known Oasis have made any more albums after Morning Glory.

U dont remember be here now bein released? They were all over the news here back then, Liam got charged with assualt and he was banned for life off all cathay pacific flights. Was fukin hillarious at the time.

Heres some footage

Not sure that people are dismissing Oasis in North America because they weren't huge here.

North America LOVES to make British bands huge...jesus,just look at the history of rock.

North America just didn't think they were all that good.They were viewed as half-baked Beatle/Lennon wannabes.

Not dissing the band,but that's the way it went down over here.Most people weren't all that impressed.

Not sure that people are dismissing Oasis in North America because they weren't huge here.

North America LOVES to make British bands huge...jesus,just look at the history of rock.

North America just didn't think they were all that good.They were viewed as half-baked Beatle/Lennon wannabes.

Not dissing the band,but that's the way it went down over here.Most people weren't all that impressed.

+1

You said it better than I could say it, but it was what was trying to say.

Funny how you call Jay-Z a rip-off, when Oasis has always been accused of being a complete "Beatles" rip-off for years.

Anyways, when everything is said and done. Jay-Z's footnote in Music History will be much longer than Oasis's.

well it gets a little less funny Sunny if you care to actually read my post and note the bit where i say that Oasis are derivative. As for Jays footnote in Music History, i appreciate your psychic abilities but as it stands, Oasis's footnote is actually bigger.

true but those bands were (im racking my brains here to think of the last british band north america made huge...the clash is all that are occuring to me at the minute) a long time ago and the climate in music has changed quite considerably since those days although you do have a point. a large part of the reason that so many British bands made it huge in those days was that (or at least i get the impression) America didnt really appreciate what they had with Rock n Roll and more specifically sorta rhythm n blues type stuff. but anyway, thats an entirely different discussion.

the whole Beatles/Lennon thing, its there definitely, they're a huge influence but its REALLY not the thing people make it out to be. i think a lot of that was the press making a huge point of it and people sort of latching onto it, someone of those people you get the impression wouldn't've known one end of a Beatle from the other. i view Oasis more as like...OK, you have the Beatles element in there, you have the totally sort of amped Steve Jones type guitar playing in there, you got Liams vocal which is like...a cleaned up Johnny Rotten with those elongated sneery whoosamawhatsits.

i just think its really unfair that Oasis suffered as much as they did from that whole thing because, really and truly speaking, they do that with every fucking band on the planet dont they? there were people back in the day (or so i've read :lol:) that linked the Pistols/Punk to like...Mods and all of that...this ALWAYS happens, the big thing comes along, shakes up the industry, the music rags are like "ohmigod, what is this, what is this?" then they go into a dark room with a microscope and pick it apart and say 'oh yes, this is derived from this this and this' and think they understand it all and go to bed in comfort knowing that they've saved the day, saved us the ignorant record buying public from falling for those evil guitar and drum combos that are forever trying to push recycled art on us. God save the typewriter Gods :rolleyes:

Even all your UK heroes admit that, idiot.

Nuff said.

what in the sweet galloping fuck has that got to do with anything?!?! if thats what it is about, 'Nuff said' is appropriated slang from south east England, specifically the London area. in fact, the english language comes from England...but what the fuck has any of that got to do with anything?!?!?!

Edited by ffrankwhite

You mean the same way you have dismissed Jay-Z?

I always love it when people come into to rap threads and comment on it, when they don't even listen to it or know more than 5 acts in the genre.

You like Oasis fine, but the aren't relevant in the US and haven't been for over 15 years. I live in the US, the country that pretty much invents culture.

right so the US single handedly invented culture now? :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

The US is only a couple of hundred years old ffs.

I can assure you, culture existed long before that

you sound like a demented nationalist fruitcake

also I respect rap music, and never have I dismissed the genre, and of course Jay Z is a massive artists, and is probably one of the best of his genre.

but in no way can his achievements in music be compared to that of Oasis.

Jay Z is one of the most commercialised artists of our time, Oasis are not. Despite this, like Guns N Roses in a very short period they conquered the world, broke all records, and ended up selling 60 million albums.

to me album sales mean nothing, but you seem like a black and white kind of guy.

Oasis have had a far bigger impact on music, than Jay Z.

the comparison is hilarious.

If it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have even known Oasis have made any more albums after Morning Glory.

Well they were banned from australia for 10 years. liam was charged with assaulting an air hostess because she wouldnt give him a cake, and famously declared "Id Rather Walk" he was also charged with headbutting a fan in the airport.

I think the ban has been lifted although im not sure.

U dont remember be here now bein released? They were all over the news here back then, Liam got charged with assualt and he was banned for life off all cathay pacific flights. Was fukin hillarious at the time.

Heres some footage

Ahhh young Oasis on drugs, fantastic.

I live in the US, the country that pretty much invents culture.

what a fucking moron you really are :rolleyes:

Jay Z is one of the most commercialised artists of our time, Oasis are not. Despite this, like Guns N Roses in a very short period they conquered the world, broke all records, and ended up selling 60 million albums.

oh please, all 3 of those artists were signed to major record labels, what do you mean commercialised, they're all 3 about as commercial as you can get..

Oasis have had a far bigger impact on music, than Jay Z.

the comparison is hilarious.

its not a ridiculous comparison at all...why dont you try looking at how many records Jay's sold worldwide. the only difference that puts Oasis just a foot up is the fact that they led a "movement" which wasnt really groundbreaking in any sense...identifiable only in terms of the nationality of the bands in it.

what????

since the beatles, the stones, and led zep.

only U2, radiohead and oasis have achieved a respectable amount of success in the US. As well as coldplay to a far lesser extent, but they're rubbish anyway.

North America does not "LOVE" to make British bands huge.