Load, ReLoad and St. Anger

Vincent Vega

Guest knerken

I can understand the St. Anger and Load bashing, because the songs suffers from lack of energy, creativity and good production. But ReLoad was a decent album. Perhaps Metallica's at their best .

It's a good question, but you have to remember that a lot of Pure Metallica fans had a problem with the Black Album and the sucess and fans that it attracted.

The next 3 were weaker, more Pop-sounding, and a further deviation from Old School Metallica

Hence the animosity

Personally, I like about 1/2 of Load , 1/2 of Re-Load and 2 or 3 songs off of Anger, but hopefully the next one will hit a little harder

Re-load is an absolutely awful album. I don't even want to think about it. The whole concept of "let's release an album of stuff that wasn't good enough to go on our other album" is a bad one too.

I can't even really listen to the black album to be honest.

They only had three good albums imo. Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And...Justice For All.

I love all three of them, I understand the flack that they get, but I still really like them.

Hetfields new voice sounded great Load and ReLoad, and Metallica sure made a convincing bluesy rock band out of themselves. St Anger is a force unto itself, I enjoy it a lot and think it rocks in just pure energy alone.

Load is my favourite Metallica album right behind Master of Puppets. Absolutely love that effort.

I haven't seen too many metal bands that can accomplish songs in the same vein as Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn. The album is a perfect blend of blues, rock, and metal. Well, almost perfect.

Reload suffers from the Illusion syndrome. It has good songs, but just isn't as strong, and if the best songs were taken from it and put onto Load, then Load would be an even bigger beast.

St. Anger has potential for great moments, but it just falls flat on its face. That being said, I love Sweet Amber and think it's a great Metallica song. Plus, the riffs are insanely good. They just need better production.

Load is my favourite Metallica album right behind Master of Puppets. Absolutely love that effort.

I haven't seen too many metal bands that can accomplish songs in the same vein as Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn. The album is a perfect blend of blues, rock, and metal. Well, almost perfect.

Agreed. Load is awesome, and those two songs you mentioned are easily top-tier Metallica material. I'm also a fan of Hero of the Day, Until it Sleeps, and The House that Jack Built. Anyway, as for the other two albums...

Reload is alright. It starts strong, loses its way with mediocre songs, and then things get very interesting toward the end - Where the Wild Things Are and Low Man's Lyric are really odd, different tracks. I dig them.

St. Anger is just fucking dreadful. Musically, there are some cool ideas in there. But when the lyrics are beyond ridiculous and the song structures have been pro tooled into oblivion, there's not much to redeem the listening experience beyond "Hey, that part was kinda neat."

Load and Re-Load catch WAY TOO MUCH shit. WAY TOO MUCH. I think some more modern Metallica fans also forget The Black Album was slagged to death too, yet it's considered a metal masterpiece and critically their finest work.

Load and Re-Load both, are not necessarily Metallica's finest, but are very very strong albums that have some great songs. In alot of ways, the hatred towards them, yet their brilliance, reminds me alot of the same hateful energy directed at Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion albums.

St. Anger is another story. It's just a fuckin' trainwreck. Some bands pull out their best work under tension... not Metallica. St. Anger, you could feel in the songs, you could actually feel, the tension, no inspiration, stock, half-ass, phone it in, mail it in... lameness. I can't recall one single good song, the album is incredibly weak beyond belief, and i'm hoping that the new album is ALOT better than this. It was tragic it was so bad, and as a Metallica fan I would like to just forget it existed. It'll be a bargain bin-er one day. It's not that I feel it's a "sell out". I love when artist branch out and do different things. I love it in fact. It keeps stuff interesting. That wasn't the problem with this album. It's just fucking bad. On every level. It feels like an un-inspired jam session, that they decided to officially release.

Agreed. Load is awesome, and those two songs you mentioned are easily top-tier Metallica material. I'm also a fan of Hero of the Day, Until it Sleeps, and The House that Jack Built. Anyway, as for the other two albums...

Reload is alright. It starts strong, loses its way with mediocre songs, and then things get very interesting toward the end - Where the Wild Things Are and Low Man's Lyric are really odd, different tracks. I dig them.

St. Anger is just fucking dreadful. Musically, there are some cool ideas in there. But when the lyrics are beyond ridiculous and the song structures have been pro tooled into oblivion, there's not much to redeem the listening experience beyond "Hey, that part was kinda neat."

You capture my thoughts on Reload pretty well. Songs near the end like Where The Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric, and Fixxxer, really close the album well. But then you have songs like Attitude, Better Than You, or Slither which really take the album down a notch, and it's unfortunate.

Load is definitely top-tier for the most part. I think it drags a little bit. Hell, I even enjoy Ronnie from time to time, but when you have a song like The Outlaw Torn close the album, you really don't enjoy the songs before it as much. Personally, I love Wasting My Hate, Cure, Poor Twisted Me, and so on, but I can see what people wouldn't like about those.

One thing I will say is that I'm hoping the new Metallica album has a ballad on it. Metallica have a serious knack for writing ballads, even within the Load era.

And if you want to hear what Metallica's been up to, then listen to their cover of Iron Maiden's Remember Tomorrow on YouTube. They actually sound like a band again.