who's the best grunge singer???

GnR lives on

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to understand something. Is the question meant to be "Best singer that's been in a grunge band?" or "Singer with the best voice suited for grunge?"

If it's the latter, those of you voting Vedder are retarded.

Layne Staley, easily the best vocalist with an impressive range.

Cornell is good too but he's kinda just a studio musician, his vocals live are poor.

Eddie Vedder is allright but has a tendancy to drone on a bit.

Kurt Cobain is average at best. His skill was not in singing but in writing.

Honorable mentions to Mark Lanegan who is amazing, Mark Arm's singing is pretty atrocious but he kinda defined grunge so got to be mentioned.

To the guy who said Andrew Wood, get out of hear, I mean I love a little bit of Mother Love Bone but hell theirs no way that can be considered grunge, at best its classic rock but it's really glam! In saying that check out "

", amazingly moving.

Guest knerken
Layne Staley, easily the best vocalist with an impressive range.

Cornell is good too but he's kinda just a studio musician, his vocals live are poor.

Eddie Vedder is allright but has a tendancy to drone on a bit.

Kurt Cobain is average at best. His skill was not in singing but in writing.

Honorable mentions to Mark Lanegan who is amazing, Mark Arm's singing is pretty atrocious but he kinda defined grunge so got to be mentioned.

To the guy who said Andrew Wood, get out of hear, I mean I love a little bit of Mother Love Bone but hell theirs no way that can be considered grunge, at best its classic rock but it's really glam! In saying that check out "

", amazingly moving.

They're not glam, they're LOVE ROCK :wub::tongue2:

I clearly see your point, but as I mentioned in my other post, alternative rock from Seattle around '88-93 is concidered grunge, at least by media and such. I guess that goes for LOVE ROCK as well.

Andrew really was a good singer.

Edited by knerken

Kurt. Not because of his technique, but because of his ability to show his emotions through his voice.

Its the same as it is with Slash. Slash isnt the best "technically", but for me, he is my favourite guitar player because of his feeling.

Vocalist = Great Singer - Cobain was NOT that - he was great at a lot of things, but as a vocalist? No shot

Vedder's always had a great voice and Cornell is pretty impressive, but .....................................................

The creepiest, coolest fucking voice to come out of Seattle was without a doubt - Layne Staley

Chris Cornell

Between Temple of the Dog, Audioslave's Revelations, Badmotorfinger, (and anybody who's heard the scream before the solo in "Let Me Drown") And anyone who says Cornell can't pull it live hasn't heard the msn music concert. He pulls the high notes out during "Jesus Christ Pose".

Don't get me wrong, I love layne stayley, but Jerry Cantrell provides sooooooo much backing for him that at times I wonder just how he would sound without him.....(though my two favorite moments are "Rooser" unplugged and "I stay Away")

The only problem i have with vedder is that, for better or worse, in his lower register he wounds like lower register cornell. (see hungerstrike)

cobain and vedder vocally are superb, but one notch under stayley, who is one notch under cornell

Edited by Bucketslash

to whoever mentioned hungerstrike above..

yea i thought about that song when i did my vote cuz cornell does sing a bit better... i think i heard though that cornell wanted to do a lower part and since they were with pearl jam members vedder was around and sang the part and cornell liked it so much he let vedder record it....

I think for me what did it more is that vedder's emotion live is so intense...see the mtv unplugged version of black and other songs and i like pearl jam the most of any of these bands..

EDIT: I wonder what would happen if i added guys like thom yorke..... and just made it best 90's vocalists...for me yorke would prolly beat all of these guys listed....

Edited by GnR lives on